Update from 8.3.1 to 11.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

apacheark

Cadet
I have an older FreeNAS 8.3.1 setup (FreeNAS 8.3.1 OS on USB, 8 GB RAM, 3X1.5 TB disks in RAID-Z1) that I am thinking of upgrading. Is it possible to update directly from 8.3.1 to 11? While the FreeNAS 11 doc doesn't say you cannot update directly, it doesn't say you can either - unless I am missing something. I haven't found a forum topic that talks about this specifically. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting from 8.3.1 to 11?

I have made an external backup of the data on the FreeNAS server.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

joeschmuck

Old Man
I don't believe you can do a direct upgrade at all. I recall issues upgrading from 8.3.x to 9.x and you have to do it almost incrementally. My brain cells do not work that far back.

Just a question... Why migrate to FreeNAS 11? Is your server exposed to the internet or there some new feature you really want? I'm asking because there is no need to upgrade if your present system if making you happy.

Now if you do upgrade I would highly recommend that you just build up a clean installation on a new USB Flash drive and leave the old in a safe place and leave it alone. Do not upgrade your pool if asked or you will not be able to go back to the old version. But again, I'm sure you cannot take your 8.3.1 configuration file and import it, however you could try and see how it goes.

apacheark

Cadet
I see your point about if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It is just that I want to stay reasonably current on the OS and ZFS. Does that make sense?

m0nkey_

MVP
You'll need to go through the versions, while keeping a backup of your config along the way.

Best path: 9.2.1.9 > 9.3.1 > 9.10.2-U5 > 11

joeschmuck

Old Man
I see your point about if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It is just that I want to stay reasonably current on the OS and ZFS. Does that make sense?
While I do understand what you say and I do not want to discourage you from upgrading, while ther have been some advancements to ZFS, it's very unlikely you would use the new feature flags, also FreeNAS has bloated up quite a bit since 8.3.1.

Here is a step by step of what I recommend you do...

1) Backup your 8.3.1 config data.
2) Power down and remove the original USB flash drive, install a new 8GB or larger USB Flash Drive.
3) Perform a clean install of 8.3.1.
4) Restore your configuration file and ensure all works good.
5) Perform the upgrade path which @m0nkey_ described. DO NOT UPGRADE YOUR POOL NO MATTER WHAT! Yes you will have a flashing alert, that is okay. You can disable it once you are done by changing the check mark box in the Alert window.
6) Once you have completed all the upgrades and your system appears to be working then you need to test it out and ensure you are happy with it. Give it a few months.
7) Once you are very happy you can, if you want, upgrade the ZFS version. I myself have not upgraded my version in at least 3 years, maybe longer. The features added are not bug fixes but rather new features that 99% of us will never use. By leaving ZFS at the older version it will allow you to roll back to 8.3.1. If you upgrade then you will not be able to roll back to 8.3.1.
8) If you don't like what you see, power off and reinstall your original USB Flash Drive and power back on again and you should be back to normal.

EDIT: Depending on how simple of a setup you have, it may be faster to do a clean install of FreeNAS 11 and then setup your system. I leave that up to you.

apacheark

Cadet
Thanks @joeschmuck and @m0nkey_ . I considered your advice and decided to stay at 8.3.1. Rather, what I will do is configure another FreeNAS11 box to act as a replication server. I just need to figure out how to setup a ZFS replication task from the old 8.3.1. to the new FreeNAS 11 box.

My 8.3.1 FreeNAS box ain't broken so I am not going to "fix" it.
Thanks for the sanity check. I will try and set up the replication task and search the forums first. If no results, I'll post a new thread.

Cheers.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Best path: 9.2.1.9 > 9.3.1 > 9.10.2-U5 > 11
You can do 9.3 straight to 11, that migration path is maintained. If something goes wrong, file a bug report, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.