FreeNas upgrade 8.3.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeon

Cadet
I have installed version 8.3.1 of FreeNAS and unfortunatelly with this version is not possible to use AD authentication on share drive. as in Settings I didn't see field Directory Service i assumed that I had to perform an upgrade.
The upgrade to version 9.3 didn't work at all by GUI, i uploaded the image but nothing happened after a few reboot and next step I passed to perform the upgrade through console where I am stuck and need your help:

~# /usr/bin/xz -cd /root/FreeNAS-9.3-RELEASE.GUI_Upgrade.txz | sh /root/update && touch /data/need-update
+ PARTNUM=2
+ OTHER_PARTNUM=1
+ set -e
+ . /etc/nanobsd.conf
+ NANO_DRIVE=ufs/FreeNAS
+ mount
+ grep ufs/FreeNASs2
+ + echocut ufs/FreeNAS -f2
-d/
+ LABELNAME=FreeNAS
+ + + glabelawksed status '/ufs\/FreeNASs1a/ { print $3; }'
-e
s,s1a,,
+ TARGET_DRIVE=ada0
+ dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada0s2 bs=1m count=1
+ dd of=/dev/ada0s2 obs=128k
1038775+0 records in
4057+1 records out
531852800 bytes transferred in 40.080471 secs (13269624 bytes/sec)
+ fsck_ffs -n /dev/ada0s2a
Can't stat /dev/ada0s2a: No such file or directory
Can't stat /dev/ada0s2a: No such file or directory
+ tunefs -L FreeNASs2a /dev/ada0s2a
tunefs: /dev/ada0s2a: could not find special device

if any idea or workaround it would be great!
thank you.

D

dlavigne

That's not surprising, seeing that there's been nearly 2 years worth of changes since that release...

Best bet is to do a fresh install, import your pool, and recreate your configs from scratch.

xeon

Cadet
There is no other way? I mean is quite difficult for a fresh installation as the device is a few hunderd km away from my location...
Thank you.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
You could step through every version and update incremental but that would take a while.

xeon

Cadet
I took it in small steps version by version and I arrived successfully to version 9.1.0. Now when I try to apply the firmware for 9.1.1 I arrive to the same message above.

gpsguy

Please read the forum rules at the top of the page and tell us about your hardware? Are you using the 32 or 64 bit version of FreeNAS? ZFS or UFS?

xeon

Cadet
Hello,
it is HP DC7700, FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x86 (21ef4b2 installed on HDD and second is used for share with ZFS.
My main issue is that I finished configuration but cannot add machine in domaine even i cannot browse it in the network. i followed all posts but still don't understand why Directory Services cannot start.
on version 8.3.1 Active directory services started but no option to add "Directory service" and couldn't use AD authentication at all, no possibility to use AD groups.
Now I arrived on 9.1 but Directory Service cannot start. I am thinking to go to next version but I am stack above.

xeon

Cadet
Hello,
it is HP DC7700, FreeNAS-9.1.0-RELEASE-x86 (21ef4b2 installed on HDD and second is used for share with ZFS.
My main issue is that I finished configuration but cannot add machine in domaine even i cannot browse it in the network. i followed all posts but still don't understand why Directory Services cannot start.
on version 8.3.1 Active directory services started but no option to add "Directory service" and couldn't use AD authentication at all, no possibility to use AD groups.
Now I arrived on 9.1 but Directory Service cannot start. I am thinking to go to next version but I am stack above.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wouldn't expect the x86 to work with AD. AD requires extra RAM, and RAM is definitely going to be a serious limiting factor for you as the x86 version is limited to 4GB. If I'm not mistaken the manual says you need 2GB of additional RAM for the AD info in RAM, and potentially more with larger domains. That being said, your limit of 4GB (which is likely limited to 3GB of usable RAM) isn't going to do yourself any favors.
Frankly, I'm not the least bit surprised you are having problems with AD in your configuration. If I were you I'd go to the x64 version of FreeNAS and upgrade to at least 12GB of RAM and then see what is and isn't working.

gpsguy

Please provide the required information from the forum rules.

System Configuration Information
: Items marked with an asterisk “*” are required for a failure postings. However, all items are recommended and could simply be part of your tag-line.
* Hardware:
  1. * Motherboard (Model)
  2. * CPU (Model)
  3. * RAM Size (in GB and model)
Saying you have a HP DC7700 would be like me telling you I have a problem with my Toyota Tacoma, but failing to mention whether it's a 4 or 6 cylinder truck, whther it has a manual or automatic transmission, and what year it is.

That being said, a DC7700 is an old desktop pc (I had one at work, years ago) and not a good choice for a FreeNAS server. If you're running the x86 version, you probably have less than 4Gb of RAM (8Gb is required for ZFS on FreeNAS).

And, if you read the manual, you'd know -

"Many changes and improvements have been made to Active Directory support within FreeNAS®. If you are not running FreeNAS® 9.2.1-RELEASE, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade before attempting Active Directory integration."

Status
Not open for further replies.