8.3.1 GUI broken, CLI configuration backup needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oscar Garcia

Cadet
I have issues after some power shutdowns.

My freenas 8.3.1 system boots from USB and I had to repair filesystem with fsck three times (after every power cut). After it I lost AD connection but I fix it adding local users (a ugly workarround).

Now the GUI is broken as seen on attached screenshots but still login in as root as always (and services are working: iSCSI, nfs and samba).

The problem is that I have no backup of configuration after AD and local users configuration changes, so I can't restore a working configuration.

Can I obtain a configuration backup from command line? Or can I fix the problem?

I'm using Chrome 28.0.1500.95 m, with IE 9 the web is broken too. I cleaned cache in both browsers.

Thanks.

Attachments

• freenas-01.png
    freenas-01.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 530
  • freenas-02.png
    freenas-02.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 556
  • freenas-03.png
    freenas-03.png
    125.9 KB · Views: 623

gpsguy

The configuration file is stored in /data/FreeNAS-v1.db. The file name should be lowercase but my phone is doing autocorrect.

Sent from my phone

Oscar Garcia

Cadet
Thanks, I'll try to recover FreeNAS 8.3.1 configuration in another fresh USB disk today, next I'll try to upgrade it to 9.1.

Oscar Garcia

Cadet
Fixed!

I write the USB image in a new USB drive and configure network, ect.

When I tried to upload configuration from Chrome and IE 8 the upload never ended, so I configured SSH, login into the shell and SCP freenas-v1.db file from another machine. After reboot all services was working as expected.

Now I will made a binary backup of USB and I will try to upgrade to FreeNAS 9.1.

Thanks!

PS: Sorry my bad english.
PS2: How could I edit the thread to change it to "Solved"? I'm trying to do it but I can only change text from first comment.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You can't make a backup of the USB stick.. it's in the FAQ. Just keep your backup config file as its how you do a "backup" of your FreeNAS installation.

Oscar Garcia

Cadet
I'm on a CPD where the recovery time of the server must be under 1 hour at 24/7 service.

On FreeNAS 8.3.1 upload config file doesn't work as I described on my post. I'm trying to configure FreeNAS 9.1 and I have this problem after restore freenas-v1.db:
  • [: Bad number
  • Database errors.

I'll try to reinstall FreeNAS 9.1 and upload config file instead SCP it.

Attachments

• srvfreenas-01.png
    srvfreenas-01.png
    118.1 KB · Views: 560
  • srvfreenas-02.png
    srvfreenas-02.png
    128.4 KB · Views: 560

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm on a CPD where the recovery time of the server must be under 1 hour at 24/7 service.

Yes... And FreeNAS was designed to allow just that. Like I said, you reinstall FreeNAS on a USB stick and upload the config file. I've done it in less than 10 minutes.....

If you make a backup of the USB stick you have about a 99% chance of it not working. I know.. I've tried all sorts of stuff and it doesn't work. That's why the FAQ says not to do it....

Oscar Garcia

Cadet
Finally I canceled upgrading to 9.1 because reaching end of maintenance window.

Recovering from saved image on same USB stick works fine. For now it is the only thing I need.

I can recover the server quickly, but I need to write a operations manual as easily understandable as possible by service operators.

Before upload configuration file the server needs to configure IP, bonding, DNS servers, default router, etc. Every reboot last almost 12 minutes because RAID BIOS, ect loading and messages. It is a lot of waste time.

Next time I will prepare a spare USB stick with same configuration. After a USB failure fixing it is as easy as change an USB by other and optionally upload updated configuration file.

Thanks for the help!

gpsguy

I'd create the spare USB drive now. Use another machine to install the OS on the flash drive and restore your config.

You might want to create a 3rd drive for your 9.1.x "upgrade". Install the OS, etc. if it fails, you still have your 8.3.x drives to fall back on.

Next time I will prepare a spare USB stick with same configuration. After a USB failure fixing it is as easy as change an USB by other and optionally upload updated configuration file.

Status
Not open for further replies.