updating 9.3 alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So let me get this straight, you found your USB defective, but you never got any ZFS warnings at all?

Magnus33

Patron
None at all which clearly shouldn't have happened.

I think the install which i started but wasn't around to watch kept failing and then rebooting and retrying.
It should have scrubbed on install and then failed due to the drive itself.

Instead it just seems to have kept trying tell it actually worked..sort of.

Update: i took it out of the trash briefly to see what would happen and it does freak out and fail.
The reboots and try again repeatedly rather then just saying it can't due to a failure.

Looks like i got a bug report to file at least its a minor one.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, that's the thing.

After an install from ISO or an update (the only ways to get get to 9.3 and update) a scrub automatically is triggered. I know it has on mine for the last week or so.

On my SATA DOM the scrub was finished before the system finished booting up and making the WebGUI available.

Last edited:

Magnus33

Patron
It did the job and on the new usb worked perfect.

Trying to keep doing the job after repeated failures on the bad one is admirable in most cases but a minor over-site for the software.
A minor issue though since its only going to come into play if the hardware fails and easily fixed i think.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Interesting nonetheless. Kind of wish it booted and worked. I'd love to get a developer to look at it and see if there is a way to make it "more friendly to errors". :/

I don't think the developers have been able to use a bad USB stick yet. They've simulated it by overwriting sectors, but that's not the same as a real-no-sh*t-broken-USB-stick.

Magnus33

Patron
It sort of worked for two days then commented seppuku.

The fact that it actually installed at all with so many sector errors was shocking.
Thank god this isn't the primary system of i be toast if the love could watch her show.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Hey, look at the bright side. Thanks to this new ZFS stuff you can do mirrored ZFS boot devices!

Wicked awesome!

solarisguy

Guru
[----] I don't think the developers have been able to use a bad USB stick yet. They've simulated it by overwriting sectors, but that's not the same as a real-no-sh*t-broken-USB-stick.
I think it would be OK to ask here that people mail ( not e-mail :) ) their bad USB sticks to iXsystems ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The problem is that a USB stick goes bad it usually degrades so fast it quickly becomes non-bootable. Once it won't even boot you are kind of screwed and troubleshooting is pretty much pointless.

madman

Cadet
My original install was usb, then used firmware update button to get into M4, then update with trains and got in to problems. After that, several fresh installs using usb to 9.3 alpha but couldn't get passed the updates. finally fresh install using iso to 9.3 alpha, and one update with iso img to M4 two days ago, haven't been able to give any time to it since due to commitments, I'll try tomorrow(Sunday) and see how we go.

Magnus33

Patron
Things are still not perfect as update still seems to be somewhat flaky with regards to the odd update and usb.

But its otherwise quite stable and mostly pain free at this point.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My updating is now broken. I just tried to update and it says "unable to create boot environmnet FreeNAS-1414196395". You guys jinxed me! I'm taking my ball and going home!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Devs have confirmed that they broke something last night and updating is currently broken. I don't have an ETA, but I'll provide one when I have it.

Magnus33

Patron
Devs have confirmed that they broke something last night and updating is currently broken. I don't have an ETA, but I'll provide one when I have it.

Phew was worried for a sec that my usb's where cursed or something...lol

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
My updating is now broken. I just tried to update and it says "unable to create boot environmnet FreeNAS-1414196395". You guys jinxed me! I'm taking my ball and going home!
This error message is caused because it already created the boot entry information for the new update and doesn't know it.

To solve this exact issue, go to the boot section of the System settings, and delete the entry it's complaining about.
What's weird is that the updater creates the boot entry before it downloads and applies the update. IMHO, it should download and verify the hashes before creating the boot environment.

Tsaukpaetra

Patron
It would seem in some cases the offending boot doesn't want to delete easly.
Yay for beta features!
Providing some debug info like the last bit of dmesg might be helpful tracking down the issue.
Also, can you subsequently delete the offending boot entry after a reboot?

Magnus33

Patron
Yes it would appear that a reboot solves the problem or you can bypass the issue and do a manual update.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So if you want to watch updates and stuff here's some useful commands:

freenas-update check (checks for and downloads updates)
freeenas-update update (installs updates. You will have to reboot manually though)

USE WITH CAUTION. ;)

I don't know what would happen if you tried to install multiple updates without rebooting, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.