updating 9.3 alpha

Status
Not open for further replies.

madman

Cadet
Hi i'm new to freenas and have been advised to ask this question in this list,
I've been working with the freenas 9.3 version and had no problems updating the nightly verson until recently, So i went back to 9.3 alpha and tried to update to todays update 9.3 M4 20141022. However it goes through the update procedure and during the reboot after update, it begins to loop, my question is can i update from the alpha version straight to the most current version or do i have to load all the updates in sequence one at a time?
many thanks in advance

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Gonna get someone with that answer to respond. Please standby.

S

Suraj Ravichandran

Sorry that your having troubles.

Could you post some more details as to where it its that your machine is looping, how were you updating (iso update, GUI_UPDATE or the updater using trains).

Also if your machine is looping at boot and you cannot take screenshots then please take a pic of it so that we can atleast see where is it looping and what instruction did it execute last and so on.

madman

Cadet
Hi many thanks for getting back, as I say I'm very new to freenas so please bare with me,
I'm updating through the GUI on 9.3 alpha, I down load the .txz file to one of my other machines then go to the GUI and click the firmware update button, select the device memory for short term storage and then select the .txz file from downloads.
paste in the sha key. It unpacks the firmware, after approximately 15 minutes it reboots, during this it reaches a point where the last line is a message" usbus1: Controller shutdown complete " and loops back to the beginning of the boot process and continues to do this.
When I then try to boot back to the original 9.3 os I can't get the os to accept F2, it keeps coming back with "no F2" . I can see F1, F2 and F5 on the usb drive
Also for some reason I've never been successful with the iso update process either.
please let me know if I've left out any information you need,

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 453

madman

Cadet
The images below are in sequence starting from 9.3 alpha through to loop.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 462
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 433
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 440
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 446
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 447

joeschmuck

Old Man
What I find particularly interesting is the way the images are upside down when I click on them yet they appear right side up for the thumbnails.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
@madman

Did you notice the update feature that's built into FreeNAS now? You should never have to download an update file again after upgrading to any version of 9.3 made after the middle of last week.

madman

Cadet
yes thanks I did notice the update function, however when I used it all I got was a trace back and was unable to update the following night, hence I went back to 9.3 and tried to get to the same position with the update function but as yet have been unable to get any updates to take from 9.3 alpha,
please find below the trace back.
As i'm new to freenas i thought it possible it was something I had done, so decided to go back to the beginning and start from fresh (9.3 alpha)
hope this helps
many thanks

Code:
Environment:

Software Version: FreeNAS-9.3-M4-581f64e-x64
Request Method: GET
Request URL: http://192.168.1.69/system/update-index/?dojo.preventCache=1414092797895

Traceback:
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py" in get_response
  105.                     response = middleware_method(request, callback, callback_args, callback_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/freeadmin/middleware.py" in process_view
  156.         return login_required(view_func)(request, *view_args, **view_kwargs)
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/contrib/auth/decorators.py" in _wrapped_view
  22.                 return view_func(request, *args, **kwargs)
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/system/views.py" in update_index
  1013.         'current_train': update.get_train(),
File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/../freenasUI/system/models.py" in get_train
  524.             return self._conf.CurrentTrain()

Exception Type: AttributeError at /system/update-index/
Exception Value: 'Update' object has no attribute '_conf'

Request information
GET
Variable Value
dojo.preventCache u'1414092797895'

FILES
No FILES data

COOKIES
Variable Value
fntreeSaveStateCookie 'root%2Croot%2F112%2F119%2F121%2Croot%2F87%2F97%2Croot%2F51%2F52%2Croot%2F45%2F46'
sessionid 'cblls9l655kc5srshr1zl85re01yj80b'
csrftoken 'gQKHAWoqg5PZyy1ekvOTKH4SpkaK89F3'
META
Variable Value
SERVER_ADDR '192.168.1.69'
wsgi.multithread True
HTTP_ACCEPT 'text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8'
REMOTE_ADDR '192.168.1.72'
REQUEST_METHOD 'GET'
SERVER_PORT '80'
GATEWAY_INTERFACE 'CGI/1.1'
wsgi.url_scheme 'http'
QUERY_STRING 'dojo.preventCache=1414092797895'
HTTP_CONTENT_TYPE 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded'
SCRIPT_NAME u''
HTTP_ACCEPT_ENCODING 'gzip, deflate'
HTTP_COOKIE 'csrftoken=gQKHAWoqg5PZyy1ekvOTKH4SpkaK89F3; sessionid=cblls9l655kc5srshr1zl85re01yj80b; fntreeSaveStateCookie=root%2Croot%2F112%2F119%2F121%2Croot%2F87%2F97%2Croot%2F51%2F52%2Croot%2F45%2F46'
HTTP_REFERER 'http://192.168.1.69/'
DOCUMENT_ROOT '/usr/local/etc/nginx/html'
PATH_INFO u'/system/update-index/'
CSRF_COOKIE u'gQKHAWoqg5PZyy1ekvOTKH4SpkaK89F3'
wsgi.errors <flup.server.fcgi_base.TeeOutputStream object at 0x81385da50>
wsgi.multiprocess False
SERVER_SOFTWARE 'nginx/1.6.2'
HTTP_CONNECTION 'keep-alive'
wsgi.version (1, 0)
HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE 'en-US,en;q=0.5'
CONTENT_TYPE 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded'
SERVER_PROTOCOL 'HTTP/1.1'
REDIRECT_STATUS '200'
wsgi.run_once False
HTTP_USER_AGENT 'Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:32.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/32.0'
CONTENT_LENGTH ''
wsgi.input <flup.server.fcgi_base.InputStream object at 0x813835f90>
REQUEST_URI '/system/update-index/?dojo.preventCache=1414092797895'
HTTP_X_REQUESTED_WITH 'XMLHttpRequest'
HTTP_HOST '192.168.1.69'
DOCUMENT_URI '/system/update-index/'
REMOTE_PORT '49480'
SERVER_NAME 'localhost'

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Here's what I would do....

1. Download the latest 9.3 alpha ISO.
2. Do an upgrade using the ISO/CD.
3. Once that's done, try doing updates via the WebGUI's new update feature.

Last week the update code was borked and then fixed. It sounds like you might have one of those borked releases. If you update to the most recent release the update code should work(I've been using it every day this week).

Not the most ideal, but I think it's the most practical way to get you back on-track and functional. ;)

madman

Cadet
Thanks cyberjock, thats worked I've now got everything back up and running, however I did find that I had to use a third party iso burning program as the one included in win7 pro was burning correctly for some reason and was leading to uncorrectable errors on the disk.
many thanks for all the help

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thanks cyberjock, thats worked I've now got everything back up and running, however I did find that I had to use a third party iso burning program as the one included in win7 pro was burning correctly for some reason and was leading to uncorrectable errors on the disk.
many thanks for all the help

That's odd, never had a problem with Windows 7 burning ISOs. Faster speeds are more problematic in general, though...

Magnus33

Patron
Here's what I would do....

1. Download the latest 9.3 alpha ISO.
2. Do an upgrade using the ISO/CD.
3. Once that's done, try doing updates via the WebGUI's new update feature.

Last week the update code was borked and then fixed. It sounds like you might have one of those borked releases. If you update to the most recent release the update code should work(I've been using it every day this week).

Not the most ideal, but I think it's the most practical way to get you back on-track and functional. ;)

It would appear the update feature is still being worked on.

Though it see updates it not downloading and installing them which reboots the system but apply no update.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, it's done being worked on AFAIK. I've been updating every day since Sunday without a problem. There's 2 updates a day though, so if you ignore it for a week you'll have 14 updates to do... ugg.

Magnus33

Patron
No, it's done being worked on AFAIK. I've been updating every day since Sunday without a problem. There's 2 updates a day though, so if you ignore it for a week you'll have 14 updates to do... ugg.

There looking into it now.

On test rig a fresh install of 9.3 m4 from 2 days ago.

See's the new updates today but wont download them or install.
Manual update works of course but it looks like a recent update broke things again.

Went so far as to redo the install from today's release and the Upgrade: freenas-pkg-tools-9.3-M4-7ab0dd7 -> freenas-pkg-tools-9.3-M4-7f9de2 update which shows also refuses to download and install.

Now it could just be on the server end but it looks more like the update feature got broken again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What build are you guys on?

I'm currently on FreeNAS-9.3-M4-15edc49. That was from last night sometime. I have done 9 previous updates from that one without a hitch. In fact, looking at my updates I see that 7f9de2d is listed as pending. So I'm going to install that.. back in a bit.

@Magnus33 -

What makes you say "they are looking into it"? Do you have a bug ticket or something?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I am now on FreeNAS 9.3-M4 timestamp 2014-10-24 02:17:01 GMT (aka 7f9d32d). So mine just updated without a single problem.

And I have another update that I can install.. 7AB0dd7. So I'm going to install that... back in a bit.

Magnus33

Patron
Being to wonder if the usb has developed sector errors.

Did a manual update and the latest up date giving a error of Unable to create boot-environment FreeNAS-1414136896.

Going to flash to another usb and see what happens.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Ok, so that installed without a hitch. Now my datestamp is 2014-10-24 07:48:16 GMT and version checksum is 7ab0dd7.

In fact, there's another update after that one, so I installed that. I am now on FreeNAS 9.3-M4 2014-10-24 19:05:54GMT (checksum fcb1a27).

So let me ask a dumb question.. Did you guys do a fresh install of 9.3 from CD? You can't do an update from the WebGUI from pre-9.3 to 9.3 AFAIK. The format of the USB stick changed from UFS to ZFS. You must do the install from CD when first going to 9.3. Could that be your problem?

And finally.. I have clicked the "Check Now" button and got the response I wanted:

2014-10-24_17h39_18.png

Magnus33

Patron
Ok ran a scan of the usb or i should say i started it as it was a apparent after two min the drive had errors all over the place.

Couldn't keep up with the amount it was crossing the screen so fast.

So installed to a new usb ..thank you ces ;) and it seems to be working fine now.

So updates working fine and the old usb in the round filing cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.