Upgrading HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Collins

Cadet
Hi,

I am quite a novice with Freenas and like to learn and try new things etc....

I have upgraded to 9.3 Beta which was quite straight forward. I have also updated to the latest nightly build - again very easy.

I have a warning that I need to update my volume HDD1.

I have gone to Storage, View Volumes and then I should be able to see HDD1 in View Volumes, but I cannot see it. It does saying loading but then I get no Volumes showing.

I have followed the guidance given in the 9.3 User Guide for Upgrading a ZFS Pool - but this isn't working for me.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Paul

Paul Collins

Cadet
Hi,

I have managed to upgrade my volume HDD1 by using zpool upgrade command in the shell. The warning I was getting in the GUI has gone now :smile:

However I still can't see the Volume when I click on View Volumes in the GUI - what am I missing here?

Thanks

Paul

mjws00

Guru
Is this on the 2 GB RAM box? What does 'zpool status' say? Not sure if this is an interface glitch, or something is up at this point.

Paul Collins

Cadet
Hi mjws00,

Thanks for the reply

I have just run zpool status from shell and there are no known data errors.

I am running a HP Proliant Microserver with 10GB Ram

Paul

joeschmuck

Old Man
I have gone to Storage, View Volumes and then I should be able to see HDD1 in View Volumes, but I cannot see it. It does saying loading but then I get no Volumes showing.

I have followed the guidance given in the 9.3 User Guide for Upgrading a ZFS Pool - but this isn't working for me.

Not sure I follow... From Storage "View Volumes" isn't present. There is "View Disk" and if you click on a volume you will have at the bottom of the screen "Volume Status".

So you actually didn't do what was asked above:
What does 'zpool status' say?
So what was the data? No error messages is fine but there is more can be gleaned from that data than an error message.

Also you might want to post the output of dmesg as this could help out a lot.

Paul Collins

Cadet
Hi joeschmuck

When I look at the GUI and view volumes I dont see any listed. See screenshot below -

upload_2014-11-16_13-2-48.png

Also when looking at the View Disk section as you mention I can only see the below when clicking on a drive. I have 2 x 1TB drives that are mirroed.

The data from the zpool status is -

[root@freenas ~]# zpool status
pool: HDD1
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h53m with 0 errors on Sun Sep 28 00:53:19 2014
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
HDD1 ONLINE 0 0 0
mirror-0 ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/121da925-d83e-11e2-b5cd-28924a3830ce ONLINE 0 0 0
gptid/1271ac19-d83e-11e2-b5cd-28924a3830ce ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

pool: freenas-boot
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h2m with 0 errors on Sun Nov 16 01:56:14 2014
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
freenas-boot ONLINE 0 0 0
da0p2 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

I have run dmesg in Shell as you suggest and there is a lot of text, but I must admit my knowledge of how to extract that text is non-existent at the moment - I am using Firefox, but can only get the tail end of the text. How do I copy the text from Shell when it is this long?

I have been looking for answers online - without any luck so far!

Paul

Attachments

• upload_2014-11-16_13-2-16.png
    upload_2014-11-16_13-2-16.png
    323.1 KB · Views: 313

joeschmuck

Old Man
Wow, that is odd. Out of curiosity, try to Import Volume.

Paul Collins

Cadet
I have just tried to import via Shell and got this -

[root@freenas ~]# zpool import HDD1
cannot import 'HDD1': a pool with that name is already created/imported, and no additional pools with that name were found

Using the GUI I can't see the Volume (HDD1) that I want to import -

upload_2014-11-16_17-4-46.png

I can access the files on HDD1 from my PC without any problems at all - so it seems everything is working, but I can't see the Volume in the GUI :-(

Paul

mjws00

Guru
See that +/mnt/HDD1 in the GUI under storage. What does it show when you expand it? Will it allow you to add a dataset? If we add one, I'm wondering if the display will sync up, or what error gets thrown. And what shows when you click storage up in the top menu. Just the blank list? Have you cleared the cache on the browser, tried chrome, or anything else on the display side?

The pool is there, we just have a control not being populated for some reason. Not even sure how you'd detach the pool, and export or reimport if it is unavailable in the GUI. I'd just load up a fresh install, reimport my pool and move on. But it would be nice to know what's up.

joeschmuck

Old Man

Paul Collins

Cadet
It shows the following -

upload_2014-11-16_19-1-34.png

I moved from Chrome to Firefox today as I was reading that Firefox is better for Freenas/Shell. I have also plugged a USB keyboard into my HP Proliant as well as a screen and I can run use the same as what the Shell is telling me from the Shell box in the GUI.

I have added a dataset called TEST -

upload_2014-11-16_19-5-36.png

I can see the new dataset from my PC -

upload_2014-11-16_19-7-18.png

Paul

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Can you post a debug file from your system please?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't. Use the WebGUI button (aka easy mode).

Paul Collins

Cadet
Hi cyberjock,

I found the magic button and saved the Debug file which I have uploaded to this post.

Now I need to work out how to read it!

Paul

Attachments

• debug-freenas-20141117175434.tgz
    1.2 MB · Views: 294

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, you've got an unsupported setup. You have some disks with UFS and some with ZFS. So the OS is broken because it's asking itself "wtf".

Get rid of your UFS formatted drives. They aren't supported. ;)

Paul Collins

Cadet
Ok I have removed the 250GB drive which I think is the problem, so I am just left with 2 x 1TB drives which are mirrored.

I still can't see the volumes in View Volumes, so I am going to reinstall 9.3 on to my USB Stick and see what happens from there!

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.