update ends to ddb - any check for the media before reboot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikke

Contributor
Hi,

I just tried to update from 9.10u2 to 11. After reboot the server was stuck in monitor really slowly printing ddb output. It is so slow I didn't want to wait for the results, sorry, it's like one character takes several seconds.

I've had this before once I recall. The mini-itx board has served FreeNas probably since 2011. So it's not about any HW changes. And the old env still luckily boots from selecting boot options from grub. I recall last time I just re-installed the version from scratch.

I suspect this is some problem writing to mirrored USB sticks. Is there a way to verify new install before doing reboot? There is the "Verify install" button, but does it verify the current install, or the new one which is not yet booted?

Or is it perhaps that the dual usb stick mode won't upgrade nicely?

I'll now let it reboot again, and try to wait for ddb output for an half an hour to see if anything useful comes on screen.

ikke

Contributor
And by the way, the boot -tab in GUI shows the boot device is healthy, with both da[01] devices being online. And the verify install button passes the verify.

ikke

Contributor
Hmmm..... so weird. I thought I try to speed up the ddb by removing serial debug tick. Now it boots to 11. What the heck. I tried several times to reset the server to get it to boot, it always ended up into ddb. Now it booted. Good, but left me wonder why this happens. Only thing what happened was I rebooted it once to old env, did the "verify install" and removed the serial tick. Thumbs up it will work now...

Status
Not open for further replies.