9.10 Fresh installation issuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, Im new to the freeNAS world.

I am installing version 9.10 from a USB drive to a USB drive on the motherboard.

I have followed the 9.10 installation guide up to "2.3.8 Installation complete" where upon the system hangs on the reboot screen as follows:

waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process 'vnlru' to stop... done
waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process 'bufdaemon' to stop... done
waiting (max 60 seconds) for system process 'syncer' to stop...
syncing disks, vnodes remaining... 0 0 done
All buffers synced.
Uptime: 12m37s

The uptime varies from 3 to 15 minutes every time i try to reboot. I get no errors during the instal process, and when i try to boot directly to the boot USB i get a black screen.

This is a fresh install with no data on any of the drives in the system. (apart from the ISO on the installer USB stick)

I have run the install process numerous times successfully up until the reboot. I ran the
Code:
 zpool status freenas-boot 
command with no signs of an ongoing scrub.

I have run out of ideas, and i have not been able to find this issue resolved on the forum. If i has been and im just blind, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks

system specs:

i3-6100
AsRock C236 WSI mini itx
16GBs kingston ECC ddr4-2133
Kingston 120gb ssd
4 3TB seagate barracuda HDDs
16GB sandisk usb boot device

gpsguy

Since you don't have any data on the system yet, I'd try installing it to your SSD instead of the flash drive. At a minimum it would rule out a flaky flash drive.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are you installing as BIOS or UEFI? Try the opposite but BIOS is the most compatable.

I agree with @gpsguy that you should try a different boot device like the SSD. BTW, what is your intentions for the SSD of not a boot device?

Did you test out your system, meaning MEMTEST86 and a CPU stress test? If not, I highly recommend you do that before doing anything with your system. Since your system runs for only a few minutes it could be a heat/stability issue as well as a USB Flash Drive issue.

Thank you GPSguy and Joeschmuck for the replies,

I switched out the flash drive with another and ran the install. Same issue. I tried the SSD as well with no difference.

Joe, I am planning to use the SSD for a jails when i set up plex.

I noticed someone had the same error message as I did when upgrading to 9.10.2 linked here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/system-wont-reboot-or-power-down-after-install.54488/

Seems like we have a similar issue, but correct me if I am wrong. Could it be a compatibility issue with my motherboard and cpu that could be fixed with the new kernel coming with 9.11?

Just throwing ideas around.

I am currently out of town so i was not able to try as stress test, but the system seems stable. The bios is showing low idle temps, but obviously this is not a good indicator of load temps. I will do some testing once i get back.

gpsguy

Yes, it does sound like the same issue.

The new version will be FreeNAS 11. They are going back to the old version scheme, that denotes which version of FreeBSD it's based on.

FreeNAS 11.0 RC3 is due real soon now. 11.0 was scheduled for 5/29, but my guess is that it will be pushed back a bit, since RC3 wasn't released yesterday.

Seems like we have a similar issue, but correct me if I am wrong. Could it be a compatibility issue with my motherboard and cpu that could be fixed with the new kernel coming with 9.11?

Status
Not open for further replies.