SOLVED Unplugged USB portable hard drive without detaching

Status
Not open for further replies.

takkischitt

Explorer
Hi

Sorry, this was stupid of me. I had an external hard drive connected to my HP Microserver running FreeNAS (more technical details below), but when I realised I wasn't going to be using it, I just unplugged it without detaching. Now I can't remove it from the Disk and Volumes menus, even though I've plugged it back in.

Can anyone help? I'm a complete beginner when it comes to Linux, so a fix through the GUI would suit me better, if possible!

Below is an outline of my hardware and FreeNAS version...

Build FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4)
Platform AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
Memory 1898MB

It has 2 x 500GB drives in stripe to make 1TB.

Thanks

takkischitt

Explorer
For anyone that's interested... I just did a reboot of the system and the volume could now be deleted.

I tried looking to see if I could change the topic from 'Problem' to 'Solved', but I dont think I can do it.

D

dlavigne

What is the status of the disk in Volume Status? If you click the entry for that disk, will it let you set it to OFFLINE?

And, was this really a stripe or RAID0 and was an external drive part of the stripe? If so, your volume is lost as there is no redundancy in a stripe.

takkischitt

Explorer
What is the status of the disk in Volume Status? If you click the entry for that disk, will it let you set it to OFFLINE?

The volume has gone now since the reboot. I dont recall seeing an option for OFFLINE though.

And, was this really a stripe or RAID0 and was an external drive part of the stripe? If so, your volume is lost as there is no redundancy in a stripe.

It was just a USB drive which I had plugged in and was going to backup the internal drives onto for offsite backup. It was set up as it's own volume (Backup).

Status
Not open for further replies.