Power failures / power outages

Status
Not open for further replies.

takkischitt

Explorer
Hi

I am just wanting to get some more info on what goes on when the power cuts out on a system running FreeNAS. I have seen plenty of people suggest UPS setups, but I have further worries detailed below.

My set up is...

Build: FreeNAS-9.2.0-RELEASE-x64 (ab098f4)
Platform: AMD Turion(tm) II Neo N54L Dual-Core Processor
Memory: 2 x 8GB (Kingston KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G 16GB 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ValueRAM ECC Memory Kit)
Hard Drives: 2 x 500GB drives in stripe to make 1TB using ZFS

I have been looking at UPS setups, but most only seem to deliver power for a couple of hours max. What would happen if the power was to go off overnight for, say, 12 hours? Even with a UPS the power would eventually run out, and due to it being at night, no one would be available to shut down the FreeNAS system safely before the power ran out.

Has anyone got any advice on this or some further reading I could look at? What kind of damage can be done when the power cuts out like that?

Dusan

Guru
I have been looking at UPS setups, but most only seem to deliver power for a couple of hours max. What would happen if the power was to go off overnight for, say, 12 hours? Even with a UPS the power would eventually run out, and due to it being at night, no one would be available to shut down the FreeNAS system safely before the power ran out.

Has anyone got any advice on this or some further reading I could look at?
If you buy a compatible UPS and connect it via USB you can setup FreeNAS to automatically shutdown on power loss (UPS switches to battery) or low battery condition.
Read the FreeNAS UPS documentation: http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/UPS
For UPS compatibility look here: http://www.networkupstools.org/stable-hcl.html

takkischitt

Explorer
Many thanks, Dusan!

Status
Not open for further replies.