Two things that annoy me

artlessknave

Wizard
The free version is called now "TrueNAS", and the one shipped with the iX Systems' systems is called "TrueNAS Enterprise".
actually.
technically.

The free NAS is TrueNAS Core.

joeschmuck

Old Man
@Davvo
See what you started! It goes on and on and....

artlessknave

Wizard
one shouldn't forget NAS4Free, either, the FreeNAS from before TrueNAS was FreeNAS and FreeNAS became FreeNAS 8 and FreeNAS 0.7.
except NAS4Free is now aparently XigmaNAS (a good name change)[some of those screenshots give me a bit of PTSD though.)
NASy

Davvo

MVP

Thanks to @winnielinnie for bringing this to my attention.

The first thing that rubs me in a kinda bad way is the (apparent) misuse of the general help section. Now, I am not really clear myself about what should be posted there since we have sections for CORE 13, SCALE and Virtualized Instances, but I seem to have reached a consensus with my brain to use that section for bare metal issues only since VM, passthroufgh and alike require a specific set of knowledge that does not come with the standard use of TrueNAS.
We're phasing out this section for this exact reason. Expect changes this week.

Papa

Dabbler
Please use the "Report" button at the bottom of a post to flag these to mod team. Thanks. --Mod team

Yes, best not to be a Truenass about it. (It even hurt to type it that way)
:grin:

Papa

Dabbler
I gotta add my 2 cents.....

Years ago, when I started using a Linux server - the distro was called E-Smith - which was later Mitel Server - no matter.
All of us newbies were asking the "Hard For Us" questions - but simple for others as we were learning. The "Smart Guys" patrolled our questions and rather than help us - gave us answers like - "That's been answered elsewhere; use the search engine." And many of us, try as we might, couldn't find the right phrase for the search. So our questions went unanswered, and we struggled.

From time to time, we would find a friend who - when we asked nicely - would hint toward the correct answer.

The caboose on this train is simple - sometimes we are babbling idiots - those that are new on a forum - but idiots need help too.

Yes, I'm fairly quiet on this forum, but not new to searching for answers, been in IT since 1998 - full-time Tech since 2007 till my retirement a year ago.

Give em a break, and forgive their challenges.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
And many of us, try as we might, couldn't find the right phrase for the search.

For anyone who ever wondered about the weird names I give lots of my resources, it comes down to "right phrase for the search". Since my ultimate goal is to hand out comprehensive answers where I can, I tend to hand out links. And since it usually takes some experience to identify what resource that would be, it's often me pointing them at the resource. And I do lots better with the slightly unusual titles.

I hope we do better than those earlier forums.

Papa

Dabbler
For anyone who ever wondered about the weird names I give lots of my resources, it comes down to "right phrase for the search". Since my ultimate goal is to hand out comprehensive answers where I can, I tend to hand out links. And since it usually takes some experience to identify what resource that would be, it's often me pointing them at the resource. And I do lots better with the slightly unusual titles.

HERE HERE!

Well said J!

Davvo

MVP

A fun or fitting name is easiesr to remember, which means it's easiesr to find again.

artlessknave

Wizard
And I do lots better with the slightly unusual titles.
well, and here you are being efficient when I just assumed you wanted to sound edgy...
makes sense

Davvo

MVP
well, and here you are being efficient when I just assumed you wanted to sound edgy...
makes sense
I mean he is THE Grinch. Of course it has to be edgy!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
makes sense

It can be a bit of both. Truth be told, some of them are named out of exasperation. "Absolutely must virtualize FreeNAS" came about because of an insipid argument with someone with a bunch of wrongheaded ideas. The "Proper" in "Proper Power Supply Sizing" was a dig at a certain poster who advocated getting seriously undersized PSU's and then attempted to use back channels at iXsystems to get rid of me, culminating in jkh inviting me to leave the forums. The SAS primer was an attempt to be clever and edgy, but some other stuff like the 10 Gig Networking Primer is just straight business.

artlessknave

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer
the distro was called E-Smith
I started using that over 20 years ago, and I'm still using it in the form of its fork, Nethserver. I'm not sure that's what I'd choose if I were starting over today, but it's still working well for me.
"The freenas version that shall not be named"?
Yes, that was indeed jkh.

awasb

Patron

jgreco

Resident Grinch
OMG. "I can't reach the TrueNAS Web UI on my laptop with a Realtek." "It's the Realtek, here's the article on that". "Bad answer!"

Time to start drinking early. If only I drank.