Poll: The first step towards making the forum better?

Do you think a passing a "test" should be required before posting?

• Agree

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • Disagree

Votes: 15 53.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
When someone says that everyone should ignore a particular question/user/thread, I think about how that reflects just as bad as any other malformed behavior.

I, personally, don't recall anyone (including myself) saying that everyone should ignore a particular question/user/thread, with the exception of a discussion about rewriting the forum rules that was a private discussion between the moderators of the forum. I have definitely told people that they can expect to be ignored if they don't put in effort to do some learning themselves. But that is only meant as a warning to get them on the straight and narrow and avoid further problems (and hopefully threads that are repetitive in nature, lost data, etc.)

I may feel that a question should be ignored, and instead of deleting the thread (which is the easy way to ignore a problem) I simply close my web browser. But I don't actively stop people from answering a question, nor have I posted in a question something like "nobody respond".

As a general rule, any post you see me make has only 1 thought in mind; providing the best experience that the OP can have with FreeNAS. That's it. Sometimes they are not ever going to get a good experience with FreeNAS for whatever reason, and sometimes what they want is not best served with FreeNAS, and I do make those statements when necessary. Sometimes though, what I don't say is as important as what I do say. Keep in mind that often what I don't say is as important (or more important) than what I do say.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
9 of 10 will just "Scroll down and click on "I agree" button" ... there are another ways how to do that ... but the main question is not "HOW to do that?" but "Will the forum sysadmin implement that?" ... because there is a looong history of the "what is wrong" list and "We will fix it" promises ... but i will not open this pandora's box here ...

Noctris

Contributor
Ok, so let's turn this question around: instead how can the community support freenas, let's see how freenas can support the community?

A couple of examples:

• Clearly state hardware requirements and warnings before download
  • warn during install if certain problems are found ( again: the ram)
  • the alert system can tell me i'm running firmware 15 on my m1015 while the driver is for v17. Is it possible to put PERMANENT warnings when they are below 8GB, or the only nic detected is rtlxxxx which causes issues.
  • can there be a 'hardware' button in the interface basically dumping basic info about the hardware which users are obligated to post ( make this a required 'file upload' when posting in the help section) if they want help from the community
  • a couple of other , more detailed warnings, of the consequences to certain choices could be implented in the interface.
These are just a couple of things, from the top of my head, that could avoid a lot of the heartburn of some users AND would help mods or other members willing to help, to get the required info. Without having to repeat the same questions time and time again, which in turn will lower frustrations an thus chances there will be lashouts.

HolyK

Ninja Turtle
Ok, so let's turn this question around: instead how can the community support freenas, let's see how freenas can support the community?
  • can there be a 'hardware' button in the interface basically dumping basic info about the hardware which users are obligated to post ( make this a required 'file upload' when posting in the help section) if they want help from the community

Oh, i like this one! Owner of the box supposed to know his HW but i understand that after few months/years of flawless running one could simply forgot the MoBo type, "m"driver version, etc ... having a "Give me my HW info w/o bunch of useless numbers" button sounds good! It could be a bit tricky since there are some places where different setup returns different output (like HDD on onboard vs. SAS/external ports, etc...). It could also prepare some nice formatting for the forum and copy the content into clipboard ... so only thing the user need to do is paste it. There is one catch ... based on the jkh's posts (move forum to reddit?) in the thread next to this one this forum is not (and never was) official support channel, so i guess we can not expect some "native" support like this one ... but the button giving the overall useful HW info sounds good.

Noctris

Contributor
That's a question ix needs to answer. But i find it strange that although they do have some expectations of how not to do it and implications of what the 'bad behaviour' here on the forum is causimg to their business. They need to make thzt choice. Are they looking at the forum as an official source and are they willing to give them some tools ( except for the forum) to help them in giving that support to freenas users, or is this a 'you are on your own' kind of thing? They look at reddit for the moderation, but i have yet to see the same level of experience there ( not saying they aren't good... )

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
That's a question ix needs to answer. But i find it strange that although they do have some expectations of how not to do it and implications of what the 'bad behaviour' here on the forum is causimg to their business. They need to make thzt choice. Are they looking at the forum as an official source and are they willing to give them some tools ( except for the forum) to help them in giving that support to freenas users, or is this a 'you are on your own' kind of thing? They look at reddit for the moderation, but i have yet to see the same level of experience there ( not saying they aren't good... )

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
The subreddit is just as bad as these forums...90% new users not reading the information provided to them and wondering why stuff doesn't work right.

I love FreeNAS as a product, and for the most part the community has been a great source of information. It is sad that so many people will jump in without getting their bearings or finding out how deep the water is.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Oh, i like this one! Owner of the box supposed to know his HW but i understand that after few months/years of flawless running one could simply forgot the MoBo type, "m"driver version, etc ... having a "Give me my HW info w/o bunch of useless numbers" button sounds good! It could be a bit tricky since there are some places where different setup returns different output (like HDD on onboard vs. SAS/external ports, etc...). It could also prepare some nice formatting for the forum and copy the content into clipboard ... so only thing the user need to do is paste it. There is one catch ... based on the jkh's posts (move forum to reddit?) in the thread next to this one this forum is not (and never was) official support channel, so i guess we can not expect some "native" support like this one ... but the button giving the overall useful HW info sounds good.

Assuming data can be easily scraped in a widely-compatible manner, I don't see this being a problem. There's even a "Bug report" button in the current 9.3, so a "Hardware manifest" button is easier on the output side of things. On the back end, this relies on some somewhat standard way of identifying major system components (dmidecode?).

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Clearly state hardware requirements and warnings before download

Will be ignored. Used to be on the download page.. did not matter one bit.
Warn during install if certain problems are found ( again: the ram)

Asked for and rejected by iXsystems. End of that option.
the alert system can tell me i'm running firmware 15 on my m1015 while the driver is for v17. Is it possible to put PERMANENT warnings when they are below 8GB, or the only nic detected is rtlxxxx which causes issues.

Technically possible... yes.

Asked for as an alternative after iXsystems shot down the idea of warning during install. So end of that option too.

can there be a 'hardware' button in the interface basically dumping basic info about the hardware which users are obligated to post ( make this a required 'file upload' when posting in the help section) if they want help from the community

Sure can. We had something like that for a short time. It was filled with stuff like "I don't know" and "2.4Ghz CPU" instead of highly technical specs like we'd actually need.

See for yourself: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/3166

Submitted in Sept 2013. Still no ETA. Screened as "nice to have" and set to FUTURE (which effectively means that we'll either formally reject this and set it to "not to be implemented" or accept it at some point in the future, but we have no intention of implementing it with anything on our current roadmap). Oh, and our roadmap is currently over 12 months into the future, past 10.x release.

How would you feel making feature requests that so often are set to FUTURE for years?

a couple of other , more detailed warnings, of the consequences to certain choices could be implented in the interface.

Again, various alternatives were requested (by the mods specifically in bug tickets) and were promptly shot down by iXsystems.

Hopefully now you are beginning to realize the firestorm of problems that us mods see, try to provide a solution, and get shot down for one or more reasons.

That is just one example. I've tried to recommend things like removing the Realtek drivers completely and saying they are too unstable to recommend/use. Or have them as an addon package. There are *so* many tickets in bugs.freenas.org that have taken up developers time only to be closed to "3rd party to resolve" because of those god forsaken Realteks that I feel we, as a project, would be better off deliberately removing support or deliberately forcing the end-user to add support themselves so that it doesn't give the impression it should work.

So us mods not only see these regularly occurring problems since we spend so much time here, we see many of the best recommendations we could make be shot down summarily without even trying it. But we also have to deal with broken crap like the forums. Then, as a free bonus, we also get the flack when we tell someone their Realtek NIC is not compatible with FreeNAS/FreeBSD and they go crying to marketing via Twitter. Would you want that kind of responsibility and, after getting treated the way that mods have been since before I became a member, would you still be here? >95% have spoken with their feet... and walked away from us and told us where to go. When you can't fix the product (FreeNAS) and you can't fix the forums, why would anyone stick around except idiotic masochists like those of us that are still mods?

The reason why I stuck around so much was so that I could learn more and more about FreeNAS (and hopefully more about FreeBSD) by watching everything. I also hoped that by finding things that people regularly screw up that I can provide feature requests that lead to actual value added to the software. But so few feature requests have actually been implemented (only the minor stuff really gets implemented) that I really can't lie to myself anymore and think that providing feature requests will actually add value. And since I'm kind of beyond the forums with regards to knowledge and experience, is there much of a reason for me to stick around here aside from the nostalgia and friendships? Not overly. The nostalgia is probably gonna be gone if everything is revamped to some kind of kinder, gentler, rainbow-and-unicorns-for-everyone forum, and the friendships will be gone if others decide the nostalgia is gone. So this place may be a place where the only posts that are answered are the less-detailed and more "you're a fool for using Realtek" and anything more complicated is literally unanswered. We had that 2 years ago. It was nothing short than sadistically hilarious to see people posting on twitter "#freenasforumsdead" type stuff because at one point the first 2 pages of threads had zero replies. It was an opening post and sometimes a reply of "is anyone here?" because all of us stopped posting. People even came in here to tell us how shitty our forums were with the lack of responses and how they were going to nas4free because at least they'd get answers. I just had to laugh at those because I came to this forum for exactly the opposite reason.

Anyway, to get back on-topic, if there are regular problems with end-users because of something that can be fixed with a warning or a refuse to install, then why is that stuff NOT being added. Every other OS I've ever installed has failed to install if you didn't have the minimum RAM. Even on Windows 2000, if you didn't meet the minimum requirements it would load and they say you had insufficient RAM and the install would not continue. Dumped back to DOS prompt.

What has been asked for, and rejected over the last 2-3 years, has not been overly onerous. It's just not been made a priority, flatly rejected, or simply left in a state of "we love it.. we'll get back to you" and 3 years later it's still the same.

I bet if I looked through my old FreeNAS notes I could find at least 10 examples of things like this "insufficient RAM" dilemma that has had a bug/feature request submitted for things that aren't overly difficult to implement, but for one reason or another they were shot-down, and when they are shot-down they do nothing except make the lives of the poor souls that provide support more and more difficult.

So you see, the mods get this from all angles, and we've had to work with what we had. The only thing we've had to work with is the forums, hence we've got presentations, whitepapers and posts. We couldn't (and still cannot) expect support from outside of our little group of mods with the majority of issues.

When the other thread hit on the "one sided-ness" of the life of a moderator, it was so close to the truth it was scary. Unfortunately it was promptly avoided because that IS the subject that needs to be discussed and the powers-that-be don't want to accept it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Asked for and rejected by iXsystems. End of that option.

Technically possible... yes.

Asked for as an alternative after iXsystems shot down the idea of warning during install. So end of that option too.

Anyway, to get back on-topic, if there are regular problems with end-users because of something that can be fixed with a warning or a refuse to install, then why is that stuff NOT being added.

Why? just why? I mean it's just a if() to add on the RAM size (which is already used in the GUI BTW), it's not like if you'd need 2 years of dev...

So us mods not only see these regularly occurring problems since we spend so much time here, we see many of the best recommendations we could make be shot down summarily without even trying it. But we also have to deal with broken crap like the forums. Then, as a free bonus, we also get the flack when we tell someone their Realtek NIC is not compatible with FreeNAS/FreeBSD and they go crying to marketing via Twitter. Would you want that kind of responsibility and, after getting treated the way that mods have been since before I became a member, would you still be here? >95% have spoken with their feet... and walked away from us and told us where to go. When you can't fix the product (FreeNAS) and you can't fix the forums, why would anyone stick around except idiotic masochists like those of us that are still mods?

The reason why I stuck around so much was so that I could learn more and more about FreeNAS (and hopefully more about FreeBSD) by watching everything. I also hoped that by finding things that people regularly screw up that I can provide feature requests that lead to actual value added to the software. But so few feature requests have actually been implemented (only the minor stuff really gets implemented) that I really can't lie to myself anymore and think that providing feature requests will actually add value. And since I'm kind of beyond the forums with regards to knowledge and experience, is there much of a reason for me to stick around here aside from the nostalgia and friendships? Not overly. The nostalgia is probably gonna be gone if everything is revamped to some kind of kinder, gentler, rainbow-and-unicorns-for-everyone forum, and the friendships will be gone if others decide the nostalgia is gone. So this place may be a place where the only posts that are answered are the less-detailed and more "you're a fool for using Realtek" and anything more complicated is literally unanswered. We had that 2 years ago. It was nothing short than sadistically hilarious to see people posting on twitter "#freenasforumsdead" type stuff because at one point the first 2 pages of threads had zero replies. It was an opening post and sometimes a reply of "is anyone here?" because all of us stopped posting. People even came in here to tell us how shitty our forums were with the lack of responses and how they were going to nas4free because at least they'd get answers. I just had to laugh at those because I came to this forum for exactly the opposite reason.

Beautifully said, perfect.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
At least it seems that the installer will finally do something about minimum requirements. I hope the idea doesn't end up dead in the water again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why? just why? I mean it's just a if() to add on the RAM size (which is already used in the GUI BTW), it's not like if you'd need 2 years of dev...

Well, the arguments that I heard:

1. We dont want to unnecessarily limit users (oh, but making them a drain on our resources, and flat out make our resources leave is good!?!?!)
2. There is no way to really make this work

I call BS on this one (and I said this in the ticket before). "8GB reported doesn't mean 8GB available" per jkh. So what? Do exactly what I said in that ticket.

If sysctl hw.physmem <= 7GB, then give the warning. Simple as that. If your board is reserving so much system RAM for other things that you don't have 7GB with hw.physmem, then you *should* get that warning, because you *don't* have enough RAM. Yet for reasons that I do not get (and I have talked to Jordan about this in person more than once) that's not good enough. I have zero clue why this isn't good enough, and I've even asked Josh P. if we did it that way would it perform the designed goal and he agreed it would.

I know that requests made by mods often have less weight than a user requesting them (look at how many of my own tickets are labeled as a duplicate to a ticket that was made AFTER mine!). Sorry dammit but I was the original, THEY are the duplicate. Mod's opinions don't mean shit. Seems to fit the profile if you read the other thread where I said something like "mods recommend x to solve y, so lets do z because that's a better plan!". Us mods are virtually never right, we are always in error and don't know what we really want, and that seems to be the way it has been for 5+ years.

Bidule0hm

Ok, so the official reason is "In 0.01 % of the cases this will not work so we don't implement it because of that, even if it works 99.99 % of the time", well... I'd say a big bullshit on this too.

I know that requests made by mods often have less weight than a user requesting them (look at how many of my own tickets are labeled as a duplicate to a ticket that was made AFTER mine!). Sorry dammit but I was the original, THEY are the duplicate. Mod's opinions don't mean shit. Seems to fit the profile if you read the other thread where I said something like "mods recommend x to solve y, so lets do z because that's a better plan!". Us mods are virtually never right, we are always in error and don't know what we really want, and that seems to be the way it has been for 5+ years.

WTF?! After all a mod is a user like the others... Actually he's even more than a user so he should weight a bit more, not less...

mjws00

Guru
As was stated earlier in the thread. The past is the past. We can only move forward. There were obviously mistakes made, but the constant dredging up of ancient history only hinders progress.

It seems to me there is a genuine effort being made to improve. That includes both the desire on behalf of iX and the allocation of resources. It is only fair to extend the benefit of the doubt during implementation.

The bottom line is there is some resentment amongst some current mods. Truthfully, everywhere I've ever been being a mod is an honor given to those that have done good for the community. Here there was a botched software transition, meh. I suspect the real damage was loss of friends and peers who left bitterly. In addition to a lack of support and communication.

If it were my company, and it is not, I would open a dialogue with each mod to ensure they are enthusiastic about their role. I might even ask them for feedback on a complete overhaul, i.e. remove all but the new paid position. Give them a title, let them contribute without obligation. I'm not sure the baggage and resentment can be overcome. Obviously those enthusiastic and happy should be listened to on their future role.

I apologize if the phone has rendered me inarticulate.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
As was stated earlier in the thread. The past is the past. We can only move forward. There were obviously mistakes made, but the constant dredging up of ancient history only hinders progress.

Sure, but when the past is also the present, I don't feel like we're dredging up "ancient history". Sorry, but I cannot elaborate further on this. These aren't "just issues from 2 years ago". These are issues that have been problems even in June 2015. That's not "ancient history".

It seems to me there is a genuine effort being made to improve. That includes both the desire on behalf of iX and the allocation of resources. It is only fair to extend the benefit of the doubt during implementation.

You know, every time the mods have had this kind of "big blowup" with iXsystems (the person at iX doesn't matter) the mods have always given the benefit of the doubt to iXsystems. I can't tell you how many times the mods were promised that the forums would be all fixed up, with developer support after 9.1 hit RELEASE. The mods even waited a month to give iXsytems the benefit of the doubt, and when asked for a status update they were told the equivalent of "Yeah, I know it was promised, in writing, 6+ times, but we're not doing it and don't ask again" (later the horribly botched forum software migration occurred). The problem now is that the benefit has been given to iXsystems every time and *never* been followed through to satisfactory completion. So you are not going to win a single heart from anyone with a track record like that, and a time frame measured in years. Without action, I can bet the other mods will say "right.. prove it". And rightfully so. When I was first made a mod everyone said that iX does this and promises change, then none comes and after 6-8 months there's a blowup. Then change is promised again (which again doesn't come, or is even worse than the before). Rinse and repeat. And you know, to be honest, that's pretty much exactly what happens. :/

A botched software transition was a symptom of a smorgasbord of other that problems that were "supposed" to be fixed with the upgrade. Except not only did the upgrade take place with no discussion with the mods or the designated "forum admin", but after it rolled out new software trashed a bunch of threads that were cornerstones of the forum and they were full of very useful information. Instead of fixing vbulletin, someone at iXsystems (not pointing fingers at the guilty party) was confident that the new software would solve all these problems once and for all and create this fantastic new environment for mods and users alike. Of course we all know it was none of that, and the person that made the recommendation does not spend time in the forum (remember in the other thread where I said people that have no experience with the problems think they have the answers?) and the forum software rollout not only fixed nothing, it created a whole new list of as-yet unfixed problems. It also went from being a symptom to being a cause of consternation because of other externalties I am choosing to not discuss openly.

I've talked to the person in-person that thought the forum software migration was the way forward. He had no idea that it would end up the way it was. He just didn't know. He thought he was doing the right thing. Unfortunately, in this world intentions don't help as much as results do. :/

If it were my company, and it is not, I would open a dialogue with each mod to ensure they are enthusiastic about their role. I might even ask them for feedback on a complete overhaul, i.e. remove all but the new paid position. Give them a title, let them contribute without obligation. I'm not sure the baggage and resentment can be overcome. Obviously those enthusiastic and happy should be listened to on their future role..

Except that has been offered before. No end-results were to be found. People have been hired (really it was a voluntary position with no actual pay) to handle the forums, and then things were done behind the persons back that was supposed to be the responsible/authorizing party. The baggage may or may not be able to be overcome, but:

- If you choose to say "I'm firing all the mods and they basically have to prove their worth to get the job back" most would say "not worth the effort, goodbye." I can promise you if 1/2 the mods left right now, this forum would basically cease to exist. I know I wouldn't be here trying to fill their shoes. No way no how.
- If you choose to keep them on-board, and again (like every time in the past) ignore their feedback, justify via whatever methods you want that your solution is better

When the forum software upgrade blew up in our face, we had 5 (yes, 5) separate requests for a list of problems. Many of those were ultimately closed with no fix provided except "we aren't fixing it". Many were eventually lost to the passage of time as the bug tickets were taken private (only certain iXsystems employees could even find them or prove they still existed, and some I still cannot access the last time I tried).

At one point an iXsystems employee wanted to do a conference call with the mods to discuss the status of the forums and see what they could do to fix. Only one person actually offered to talk to them (me, and I did not have a working relationship with iX at the time). The rest had been around this game before, done the conference call before, and were confident that volunteering several hours of their own time was still not worth it as the previous conference calls resulted in no change. I honestly can say that I have seen no changes from a result of that conference call 2 years ago that I had. I always have felt that "giving a chance" costs almost nothing, but at this point I feel like its all lip service until action is actually taken with regards to the forum. And at this point I feel there is no need to even have more communication with the mods to see what is broken. It's all been discussed thoroughly, countless times, and is still available for review in the moderator section of the forum. Start actually fixing stuff and *then* iXsystems might get some ears from the other mods.

As I said in the other thread, in the past when any discussion was made, the mods comments on what was broken and how best to fix it were not of any concern for iX. They only wanted to hear what was broken, then they'd devise their own strategy to fix it, which either didn't do a darn thing, or made things worse.

This problem is much, much deeper than the general public is aware of, and I think that anyone that isn't a moderator, hasn't been one for years, does not truly understand the breadth of the problem, how long it has gone on, how many promises were made and then broken (some deliberately called out as "I'm not doing this and that's final"), etc. Unless you were there to see it, you will probably never understand. Even me, as a moderator for just 2.5 years, still doesn't know the whole story of how things were before I was brought on. :P

No offense to you mjws00, but you don't know enough of the story of how things have been between the mods and iXsystems. And I try not to speak too much about stuff before my time because although the stories I have heard from all of the different mods that existed generally match and seem reasonable based on what I have seen, I prefer to have people that were actually here comment on those situations. I don't like rumors that may be factually incorrect or just flat out wrong floating around.

I think it was jgreco in the other thread that said he's tired of the lip-service of promised fixes. All of the mods pretty much feel that way. I'm the only one that's in a different, unique situation as I'm also an employee of iXsystems and works under Jordan. I'm not paid for the forums at all, but if someone called me to talk to me about it, it's not like I can choose not to talk about it. So while in the past I might want to give people the middle finger and not participate, I don't get that kind of luxury if I wanted to exercise it. Not that its been a problem and not that I want to exercise it and feel like I can't. But as an employee of iXsystems its just not realistic and doesn't really help me to ignore the issues that I feel should be fixed. Of course the other mods can choose what they want to do (or not do).

There is an almost endless supply of things to fix, all documented in so many places you probably couldn't put together a comprehensive list anymore because each location was promised to be the "final, comprehensive list that would end all other lists" and never was. There is also an endless supply of enthusiasm. There is even an endless supply of what should be done to fix the problems. What there seems to never be any of is appropriate fixes that improve things and actual execution of the appropriate fixes.

Please don't take my post the wrong way, I'm not advocating holding someone's feet to the fire and laughing while the burn. Things need to change, and I don't expect everyone to be thrilled with all of them either. But there's a certain amount of give and take with all of this, and there's been so much taking by iXsystems over the years (even currently) that I wouldn't blame the other mods if they decided to collectively bail on this whole community and project if there isn't some obvious and clear giving by iXsystems first.

I had decided weeks ago that my role in this forum is changing. I've got better things to do than answer every thread that has 2GB of RAM with "rtfm silly goose". I'll be making far less frequent posts in the future, but most people will find my posts very knowledge-rich and well written to help the more advanced users that do want to get involved with the deeper aspects of things. In fact, many will likely be white papers and knowledgebase articles than forum posts.

Bidule0hm

As I said in the other thread, in the past when any discussion was made, the mods comments on what was broken and how best to fix it were not of any concern for iX. They only wanted to hear what was broken, then they'd devise their own strategy to fix it, which either didn't do a darn thing, or made things worse.

It's more and more what I feel on the other thread and it's why I don't like at all that an open-source project is being bought by a company who do whatever they want to do with it without listening the others persons.

This problem is much, much deeper than the general public is aware of, and I think that anyone that isn't a moderator, hasn't been one for years, does not truly understand the breadth of the problem, how long it has gone on, how many promises were made and then broken (some deliberately called out as "I'm not doing this and that's final"), etc. Unless you were there to see it, you will probably never understand. Even me, as a moderator for just 2.5 years, still doesn't know the whole story of how things were before I was brought on. :p

I start to understand (sadly) because I can relate to another experience.

I think it was jgreco in the other thread that said he's tired of the lip-service of promised fixes. All of the mods pretty much feel that way. I'm the only one that's in a different, unique situation as I'm also an employee of iXsystems and works under Jordan. I'm not paid for the forums at all, but if someone called me to talk to me about it, it's not like I can choose not to talk about it. So while in the past I might want to give people the middle finger and not participate, I don't get that kind of luxury if I wanted to exercise it. Not that its been a problem and not that I want to exercise it and feel like I can't. But as an employee of iXsystems its just not realistic and doesn't really help me to ignore the issues that I feel should be fixed. Of course the other mods can choose what they want to do (or not do).

Speaking of that I was thinking about the fact you can maybe do something on the iXsystems side of things so the promises are realised. But I understand that maybe it would put you in a bad position.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Speaking of that I was thinking about the fact you can maybe do something on the iXsystems side of things so the promises are realised. But I understand that maybe it would put you in a bad position.

Well, yes and no. I'm good at sending emails and saying "hey, this guy needs you DevX" or "see the problem we're dealing with?" or "check out this user.. what should us mods do?" But I am not paid to be here, and when I've been more short with people than was intended I've been asked to take a break and let the dust settle. Totally a reasonable request.

Unfortunately my job description doesn't cover the forums, so it's one of those things that, if I want to devote my personal free time to working on, is great. But I'm in no position to be paid for the time. Since I'm also trying to juggle a move across the country and buy a new house, trying to work on something like this in my free time is virtually a non-starter. I'm also not a forum wizard, so not only would I have to set everything up "properly" (for various definitions of properly), but I'm also forced to actually learn the software. Forum software isn't as simple as it looks. Before the rollover to xenforo we had someone that was helping out with all sorts of things because he had experience with vbulletin. The rollover to xenforo was a triple-whammy for the mods and the forum because not only was our forum admin and mods not informed and not asked what we thought of xenforo, but our forum admin had no experience with xenforo so we were back to having nobody with a clue, and the fact that the forums were horribly broken for months (xenforo was rolled out in June or July and my mod permissions weren't even fixed until December 31st of that same year).

Unfortunately this segues into another problem that mods and iXsystems have had. Mods want to do A, B and C. iXsystems says no. Guess who gets their way and who doesn't? So even if we want to do something and even if we could do something, iXsystems can still (and does) shoot down most any improvement or fix we recommend. So why would anyone want to spend time to learn the forums only to have to ask for permission to do things that are going to be rejected later anyway? So none of us have felt like spending any time trying to learn this stuff.

jgreco has openly asked for the vBulletin license so he could try to bring back the vBulletin stuff. At least with vBulletin we had someone that knew what they were doing. We have nobody that knows what they are doing right now, nobody is going to help us resolve these massive problems for free, and iXsystems hasn't wanted to spend money on the forums. So there's been no help coming from any angle.

Honestly, I side with the other mods. vBulletin made a better technical forum than xenforo ever will (at least with the experiences we've seen and limited stuff we've read via Google). So why not go back to something that has a chance of working and that we have someone that knows reasonably well? (that last question is rhetorical because the answer has been "no")

Bidule0hm

Ok, I understand and was pretty sure you can't do anything about that, no problem ;)

There's so many "why? just why?" I'd say to iXsystems... But I know from experience that 99 % of the companies usually spend a ton of money on non-important things and cut corners on important things, so nothing new here...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's so many "why? just why?" I'd say to iXsystems... But I know from experience that 99 % of the companies usually spend a ton of money on non-important things and cut corners on important things, so nothing new here...

That's how I've tried to take it. But it's hard when you sit down to login and help someone and you know that 20%+ of the threads are repeat of crap from the last 24 hours or last week. It doesn't help anyone with that kind of doom-and-gloom when you go to login.

There may or may not be totally logical and reasonable justifications for what was done, but I'm not privy to them. I try not to make judgements about decisions made by others, even if it impacts me. You never know what the real justification was for someone else problems being made your problem. But when you are being directly impacted, you only see "well, crap.. bend over and here it comes again" mentality after a while. ;)

Noctris

Contributor
I'm probably kicking in an open door. But if this is such an issue, what is keeping the community from starting "the unofficial freenas forum"? The only thing stopping it, as i see it, is ix wanting to keep control over it ?

IX seems to want a community to support their product without any effort or investment from their side. So why bother keeping this furstrating "relationship" alive since both parties don't seem to particulary enjoy it nor does it really help either..
the type of responses "hurt the business", and not being allow to give them simply makes supporting "Yet Another < 8GB Clueless User expecting a free nas ( not freenas) " dante's 10 circle.

So why not let IX deal with these users themself ( or not and see how that works out) in the way they see fit, and simply put a vbulletin out there where the community can give support in a way they deem appropriate using rules the mods think reasonable ?

Isn't that what open source should be all about instead of politics? i've seen this type of thing go down time after time in other projects where ultimately, if the initative for this was not taken, and the "parent company" simply did what they wanted, the community would die ( and with it , the quality of the product).

Cause in all honesty: i like freenas. I don't love it like the die hards, but i do like it.

But if it wasn't for this community, the good with the bad, For my home box ? I would have ditched it a long time ago and would have gone back to running a debian box, or OMV , maybe just plain freebsd. There are a bunch of querks and gotcha's ( like today, where without any change, on a box running 2 weeks, all my CIFS shares became read/write/delete but no modify.. i did not touch a single thing.. one moment i was editing files on a share, the next ALL my shares where that.. i'm still figuring out what the hell could cause this) where without the wealth of information from this place, the little voice inside my head would have screamed "RUN" a long time ago..

And truely cyberjock.. i got the uttermost respect for being in the position you are in.. "employee by day, craptaker by night" is a pretty bad place to be :s

Status
Not open for further replies.