(Tutorial) How To Install Plex in a FreeNAS 11.2 Jail

Tutti21

Cadet
Hello my Freenas Version is FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1) then after i needed to achnge the subnet the Nas is in from 192.168.178.x to 192.10.10.x after that ok Plex didnt work serching for server. Ok seems like the jail didn't get that so I did make a new jail and installed plex via this howto in the tread but still searching for servers nothing else... what did I do wrong? Didn't get the NAS the subnet change too?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hello my Freenas Version is FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1) then after i needed to achnge the subnet the Nas is in from 192.168.178.x to 192.10.10.x after that ok Plex didnt work serching for server. Ok seems like the jail didn't get that so I did make a new jail and installed plex via this howto in the tread but still searching for servers nothing else... what did I do wrong? Didn't get the NAS the subnet change too?
You should not use a public address range for your local ip's. If you want that type of range is 10.0.0.0/24.

To answer your question please post screen shots of your jail setting and the network settings of your jail.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Tutti21

Cadet
9uGtvc1
is this alright or you need something else?

Attachments

• plex.png
    plex.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 555

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
9uGtvc1
is this alright or you need something else?
Start a new thread, your issue is networking related and has nothing to do with this tutorial.

travanx

Explorer
I upgraded from 9.10 to 11-stable. Is there a way to upgrade my plex jail like in OP?

picklefish

Explorer
How long does an update usually take to propagate from freshports to the pkg cdn? I don't really understand how it works. I was using freshports to check for the new update but I've been trying to "pkg update" for over 36 hours and it's still not there. Also having trouble googling how it works.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
How long does an update usually take to propagate from freshports to the pkg cdn?
I've seen as little as a day and as much as a week.

ThreeDee

Guru
I just upgraded to Plex-Pass. I don't know if this was already shared or not, but here is how you install Plex with Plex Pass:
taken from https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/2...plugin-to-a-manual-jail-install-on-freenas/p1

1. Manually create a generic jail (jails tab in the top bar, then the add jail button), named PlexPass-Server (or whatever you want, really)

2. Create/link storage for that jail (still in the jails tab, switch to the storage tab, then the add storage button). Make sure you select your recently created Plex jail, and then add your datasets as source.

3. Once you've linked all your storages, go back to the main jails tab and select your Plex jail, then enter the console (you should also learn how to SSH into your jails from a different computer, it will make future updates much quicker, plus if you SSH'ed into your jail, you could copy-paste all of the commands below)

4. Type pkg upgrade ...this will update your "install tools" to the most recent version (follow along, pressing y when appropriate)

5. Type pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass (follow along, pressing y when appropriate)

6. Then sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES

7. Once that's done, type service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

8. Type service -R

9. Type exit

10. Run chown -R plex:plex /media on a command line to set ownership of the files (/media might be different depending on the mount points)
Upgrade:

1. SSH into your Plex jail (or click the console button in the FreeNAS GUI after selecting the plex jail into the jails tab)

2. Type pkg update (following along and typing y when necessary)

3. Type pkg upgrade (again typing y when necessary)

4. Type service -R , then exit, and you'll always be up to date!!!

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
no spaces between : and plex, creates emoji if no space
It wouldn't do that if you used the CMD tags (use the "cmd" button in the editor toolbar; it would look like this: chown -R plex:plex /media). This is a good practice for setting out commands to type anyway.
Type ‘pkg update’ (following along and typing y when necessary)
The pkg update isn't necessary when upgrading; pkg upgrade will automatically update the repositories. You can even add the -y flag ( pkg upgrade -y) to automatically confirm everything.

ThreeDee

Guru
ah .. thanks for the tip!

danb35

Hall of Famer
ah .. thanks for the tip!
There are three formatting buttons in the toolbar: cmd, code, and file. cmd is for setting out commands that take less than one line. It looks like this. Using it for text that's more than one line doesn't tend to work well. Part of the point of using them is so that you don't need to enclose your commands in quotes, which tends to generate confusion about whether the quotes should be typed or not. So, instead of saying
run "zpool status"
(and having the person respond:
Code:
root@freenas2:~ # "zpool status"
zpool status: Command not found.

You can instead say
run zpool status

code tags are for multi-line blocks of pre-formatted text, like actual program code or the outputs of commands like zpool status or smarctl -a. They look like this:
Code:
root@freenas2:~ # zpool status testpool
  pool: testpool
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sun Oct 15 00:00:00 2017
config:

NAME  STATE  READ WRITE CKSUM
   testpool  ONLINE  0  0  0
	mirror-0  ONLINE  0  0  0
	gptid/26127420-527d-11e7-82bf-002590caf340  ONLINE  0  0  0
	gptid/26ee23f5-527d-11e7-82bf-002590caf340  ONLINE  0  0  0

errors: No known data errors
root@freenas2:~ #

file tags are used to specify filenames, and look like this: /mnt/tank/test.txt.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
There are three formatting buttons in the toolbar: cmd, code, and file. cmd is for setting out commands that take less than one line. It looks like this. Using it for text that's more than one line doesn't tend to work well. Part of the point of using them is so that you don't need to enclose your commands in quotes, which tends to generate confusion about whether the quotes should be typed or not. So, instead of saying

(and having the person respond:
Code:
root@freenas2:~ # "zpool status"
zpool status: Command not found.

You can instead say

code tags are for multi-line blocks of pre-formatted text, like actual program code or the outputs of commands like zpool status or smarctl -a. They look like this:
Code:
root@freenas2:~ # zpool status testpool
  pool: testpool
state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0h0m with 0 errors on Sun Oct 15 00:00:00 2017
config:

NAME  STATE  READ WRITE CKSUM
   testpool  ONLINE  0  0  0
	mirror-0  ONLINE  0  0  0
	gptid/26127420-527d-11e7-82bf-002590caf340  ONLINE  0  0  0
	gptid/26ee23f5-527d-11e7-82bf-002590caf340  ONLINE  0  0  0

errors: No known data errors
root@freenas2:~ #

file tags are used to specify filenames, and look like this: /mnt/tank/test.txt.
All of which is explained in the rules......that no one reads.......

ThreeDee

Guru
nope .. didn't read.. just skimmed the dark lettering o_O

Fixed previous copy & paste hatchet job post... for the convenience of other copy & paster'r's

Kingr_

Dabbler
when running the chown -R plex:plex /media

is this done in the Jail CLI? or the Freenas CLI?

trying to troubleshoot permissions issues with my plex jail

Thanks in advance for answering my potentially stupid questions

Rob

picklefish

Explorer
when running the chown -R plex:plex /media

is this done in the Jail CLI? or the Freenas CLI?

trying to troubleshoot permissions issues with my plex jail

Thanks in advance for answering my potentially stupid questions

Rob

Jail. /media is a mount in your jail. My suggestion is making sure that your plex account/group in FreeNAS and your plex account/group in the jail have the same UID and GID.

Kingr_

Dabbler
Jail. /media is a mount in your jail. My suggestion is making sure that your plex account/group in FreeNAS and your plex account/group in the jail have the same UID and GID.

Yep they do. I believe its 972 in the Jail when plex installs. I created the same group/user in FreeNas

adrianwi

Guru
If you have the same UID and GID in FreeNAS and the jail it shouldn't matter which of these you change the permissions to the mounted folder(s).

picklefish

Explorer
Should I be moving my current plex jail setup to an iocage jail in the new update? What are other people doing?

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
I need my hand held, so I'm waiting for a step by step walkthrough before installing anything in an iocage jail :(