(Tutorial) How To Install Plex in a FreeNAS 11.2 Jail

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hi,
Anyone know why I get this error below?

root@PMS:/ # pkg update
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/meta.txz: No address record
repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/packagesite.txz: No address record
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!
Start your own thread, this has nothing to do with the Plex tutorial.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The problem with jails is in the next iteration of freenas (11.1) they are going to change jails/replace them with rocker
That's not true stop spreading FUD.
which means if you go the jail route you're opening yourself up to future problems it appears.
Pure speculation and again FUD.

badogski29

Dabbler
I haven't upgraded to 11 yet but basically yes. You can also install it on a VM if you're that way inclined.
The problem with jails is in the next iteration of freenas (11.1) they are going to change jails/replace them with rocker which means if you go the jail route you're opening yourself up to future problems it appears.
As I have not upgraded yet from 9.10.2 I can't give you a definate answer but that's some food for thought.
any guide for a VM install? also what is rocker? is it the same as docker?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I haven't upgraded to 11 yet but basically yes. You can also install it on a VM if you're that way inclined.
The problem with jails is in the next iteration of freenas (11.1) they are going to change jails/replace them with rocker which means if you go the jail route you're opening yourself up to future problems it appears.
As I have not upgraded yet from 9.10.2 I can't give you a definate answer but that's some food for thought.
Incorrect, jails will not be replaced by docker. In 11.1 jails will actually be improved by using iocage. Docker isn't a good solution on freenas. It has lots of complexities and needs to run in a Linux vm. Best solution is to is jails.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

badogski29

Dabbler
Incorrect, jails will not be replaced by docker. In 11.1 jails will actually be improved by using iocage. Docker isn't a good solution on freenas. It has lots of complexities and needs to run in a Linux vm. Best solution is to is jails.

so my best option to install plex is through the plugin? or should I still go with the VM route? is there a way for me to transfer plex server files from my Corral Setup to 11?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
so my best option to install plex is through the plugin? or should I still go with the VM route? is there a way for me to transfer plex server files from my Corral Setup to 11?
If you don't care about the premium music service turn running Plex in a jail is a great solution. Do you use Plex pass or just Plex? I would skip the plugin and just install it yourself using pkg install plex in a normal jail.

enemy85

Guru
Hi all,
after manual upgrade from 0.9.11.4.739_1 version just to 1.3.3.3148 version (the last available for FN 9.2.1.9) now I'm not able to reproduce video anymore:
"Conversion failed. The converter was not found or was not installed".
How to solve this problem?
I don't know if it is this the reason for the problem, but i noticed that in SETTINGS -> SERVER -> CONVERTER i have the "temporary directory of transcoder" field empty (i can't remember if i had that field previously...) what directory should i use?

TIA

nobody?

adrianwi

Guru
My 'temporary transcode directory' field is also blank if that helps.

I suspect you'll struggle with support given how old your FreeNAS install is, and the fact your now limited to a pretty old version of Plex. Maybe time to think about upgrading?

badogski29

Dabbler
Ok so I finally got the time to setup my plex server again, i managed to get it to work however is there a way for me to restore my "Plex Media Server" folder to this new jail? I just want to preserve all of my settings and metadata from my corral setup to this freenas 11 setup. Tried overwriting the whole "Plex Media Server" folder with files from my corral setup but that didnt work.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ok so I finally got the time to setup my plex server again, i managed to get it to work however is there a way for me to restore my "Plex Media Server" folder to this new jail? I just want to preserve all of my settings and metadata from my corral setup to this freenas 11 setup. Tried overwriting the whole "Plex Media Server" folder with files from my corral setup but that didnt work.
You copy the Plex data folder over and set the owner:group to plex:plex.

nemisisak

Explorer
See post #311

DGenerateKane

Explorer
Okay there has definately been some updates @Cosmo_Kramer if you could update your OP I have listed them. These are relevent for the latest 9.10.2 freenas iteration. Be aware that you will need to create a new jail to be able to update past 1.3.3.

Will these work on FreeNAS 11? I'm putting together a new NAS and plan on setting up Plex for the first time on it.

badogski29

Dabbler
Ok so I finally got time to do this again.

Decided to just start fresh, im done migrating from my old plex install.

So according to the guide, the mounted folder should change to "root Media" after changing permissions the user on mine stayed on 1001(I made this user with freenas) but group changed to Media. It became "1001 Media" instead of "root Media".

Anyways I still proceeded, and btw I mounted the media folder that I have to /media instead of /mnt folder of the jail(not sure if that's important or not). So I went to the initial plex setup, the folder I mounted didnt show up (with corral, it was there so im not sure if that's just how it was in corral). But manually changing the path to /media instead of the default "/usr/blah/blah" made my files show up on plex, is that how it's supposed to be or should I change directory of the mounted folder to the Plex folder(create a new folder inside?) Thanks, I attached a picture of the said path. Sorry for being such a noob, I'm new to linux and bsd (not even a year of using it), command line still seem a bit daunting to me.

EPuE6AQySjyBTFWmSr_jWA.png

Go look up where you mounted the storage in the jail in the FreeNAS GUI and then type the EXACT PATH in

For instance if it's /Media/Movies/ then /media/movies/ will not work. Otherwise mount the stuff you want in something like /usr/local/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media/Movies/

For some reason the plex creators changed which paths automatically show up so the root / directory does not show up.

badogski29

Dabbler
No I can find my movies fine, just thought the would appear with these list of folders. That's how it worked with corral so I was just kinda confused. Is it fine mounting it inside the Plex Media Server folder?

Edit: I just realized what you have said and I just saw an old video and it used to show the root directory but now it doesnt.

Last edited:

adrianwi

Guru
Not sure why you would want to store your media inside the Plex Media Server folder, as this is really where Plex keeps all the catalogue data.

Best practice would be to create a media dataset in your zpool/volume and then create subdirectories (not more datasets) within this for Movies, TV Shows, etc.

You then need to mount the media dataset to the Plex jail, and then use this when adding libraries in Plex.

Not sure why you would want to store your media inside the Plex Media Server folder, as this is really where Plex keeps all the catalogue data.

Best practice would be to create a media dataset in your zpool/volume and then create subdirectories (not more datasets) within this for Movies, TV Shows, etc.

You then need to mount the media dataset to the Plex jail, and then use this when adding libraries in Plex.

At no time did I say to store the data in the jail nor was there any talk about datasets. All you are doing is changing the mount point for where the data is placed. If I create a mount point in the jail of lets say:

Code:
/f/R/u/i/t/C/a/k/e/movies/

To make my media accessible to the jail does it really matter? Since the latest versions of plex seem to stop showing the root mount point and some individuals do not understand to just type it in it is easier for them to mount the stuff in a subdirectory of Plex's own media folder. They can then just click on the folder that says media and then click on their mount point. There are hundreds of different ways to make it all work but the FreeNAS GUI can browse through the jail directories so a user can easily find the media subfolder inside the Plex Media Server install and they can then easily find it in the Plex GUI.

David Simpson

Dabbler
I'm having trouble updating, I'm stopping the server and using the command provided: pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver but it says i'm up to date.

My current version is: Version 1.3.3.3148

Code:
root@Plex:/ # pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver			
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.											  
All repositories are up-to-date.											  
FreeBSD repository is up-to-date.											  
All repositories are up-to-date.											  
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)									
Your packages are up to date.	  

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Its likely because you are still on 9.3 or the plex jail was built on 9.3. Thats the latest version supprted by 9.3.

Yep, so you will have to create a new jail to upgrade to the newest version and you are probably better off just waiting until FreeNAS 11.1 is released and then do it then since the jail systems will be changing anyway. As long as it is working it should be fine for a few more weeks.