(Tutorial) How To Install Plex in a FreeNAS 11.2 Jail

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I am on 9.3 and did the upgrade but not I get "Conversion Failed. A required codec could not be found or failed to install." I tried looking for solutions to that issue but have been unable to figure it out. My limited understanding makes me think it's a permission issue but what and how to fix is beyond my simple ability to follow instructions.

On a side note, when I upgrade to 9.10 it sounds like I need to do a new jail for PMS which would give me a more current version. I'm really looking to add their DVR and live TV enhancements. I will accept the answer to stop trying to get 9.3 working and bite the bullet and go to 9.10 of that's the best route. With that said, it would be great to have a simple fix to get PMS running until I can do a proper upgrade.
The answer is to make a new jail with freebsd 10. 9.3 is end of life so it doesn't get updates.

You can have your new Plex up in running in 30min I would guess. Depending on how big your Plex database is.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Berkyjay

Contributor
Check out post #314 and #319 :D

OK I need some newb guidance. I generally open the shell via the Jail tab.

How do I pull the "<Jail location>"? Is it formatted like "root@<MyJail>"?
Check out post #314 and #319 :D

I'm curious. Did you have any issues with your Posters, Banners, & Background images transferring over? I have about 20% of my files that won't use their thumbnails. If I try to add new ones it doesn't take either. I have yet to try removing those files from my library and putting them back.

adrianwi

Guru
OK I need some newb guidance. I generally open the shell via the Jail tab.

How do I pull the "<Jail location>"? Is it formatted like "root@<MyJail>"?

I'm curious. Did you have any issues with your Posters, Banners, & Background images transferring over? I have about 20% of my files that won't use their thumbnails. If I try to add new ones it doesn't take either. I have yet to try removing those files from my library and putting them back.

If you're opening the shell from the jail tab (i.e. clicking the jail row and the the shell icon) you are already in the jail? the plexdata folder will be in /usr/local/

Moving the plexdata folder is probably easier from the freenas shell as you can easily copy files between jails, something like cp -R /mnt/<pool_name>/jails/<old_jail>/usr/local/plexdata /mnt/mnt/<pool_name>/jails/<new_jail>/usr/local/plexdata

After everything had copied across (which told almost 2 hours as it's lots of small files) the new jail worked perfectly for me.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
If you're opening the shell from the jail tab (i.e. clicking the jail row and the the shell icon) you are already in the jail? the plexdata folder will be in /usr/local/

Moving the plexdata folder is probably easier from the freenas shell as you can easily copy files between jails, something like cp -R /mnt/<pool_name>/jails/<old_jail>/usr/local/plexdata /mnt/mnt/<pool_name>/jails/<new_jail>/usr/local/plexdata

After everything had copied across (which told almost 2 hours as it's lots of small files) the new jail worked perfectly for me.
You will have to set the permissions correctly on the destination after the copy.

Berkyjay

Contributor

Ah excuse that first part. It must have been from a saved email I was writing earlier. I had figured it out so I never sent it. I guess this forum saves your drafts. :D

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ahh! OK that makes sense.
Just look at the source permissions from inside the jail then set them to the same inside the other jail.

enemy85

Guru
Hi all,
tried to upgrade an old plex jail manually installed following this guide as described in the first post, but the jail automatically upgraded from a really old 0.9.11.4.739_1 version just to 1.3.3.3148 version (17.12.2016). Does anybody knows why?
I'm on a FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09)

TIA

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Hi all,
tried to upgrade an old plex jail manually installed following this guide as described in the first post, but the jail automatically upgraded from a really old 0.9.11.4.739_1 version just to 1.3.3.3148 version (17.12.2016). Does anybody knows why?
I'm on a FreeNAS-9.2.1.9-RELEASE-x64 (2bbba09)

TIA
Because that's the latest supported release from your old jail repository.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I have the same problem. Most current stable freeness 9.10 and stuck at plex 1.3.3.
How can we change the jail repo @Jailer?
This question has been answered all over the place and was also in the release notes. Freenas 9.3 is eol and will not get updates. You need to upgrade your base system and build a new jail with your services in it.

adrianwi

Guru
I have the same problem. Most current stable freeness 9.10 and stuck at plex 1.3.3.
How can we change the jail repo @Jailer?

Whilst FreeNAS 9.10 is running on FreeBSD 10.3 and still supported, I suspect the jail you are running Plex in was created at 9.3 and uses FreeBSD 9 which is no longer supported.

It's not too difficult to recreate the Plex jail and copy across your plexdata folder, although the last bit may take some time depending on the size of your library. All the information you need is in this thread within the last few pages....

xterminated

Dabbler
Well after I posted I understood the problem. Correct it's a 9.3 Jail. My base system is - of course- most current.
To bad that I have to recreate the jail :(
Thanks for the help

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Re creating a single jail, especially Plex, is pretty trivial. It's when you have multiple to re create that it gets a bit tedious.

xterminated

Dabbler
Yes, I created a new jail and migrated the data. Worked very good and my play server is up to date again :) Thanks!

Jimmy Dahlin

Dabbler

nemisisak

Explorer
Hi,
Anyone know why I get this error below?

root@PMS:/ # pkg update
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
pkg: Repository FreeBSD has a wrong packagesite, need to re-create database
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/meta.txz: No address record
repository FreeBSD has no meta file, using default settings
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/packagesite.txz: No address record
Unable to update repository FreeBSD
Error updating repositories!
Have you been following the thread? have you upgraded FreeNAS without recreating your jail? if so thats your problem.

enemy85

Guru
Hi all,
after manual upgrade from 0.9.11.4.739_1 version just to 1.3.3.3148 version (the last available for FN 9.2.1.9) now I'm not able to reproduce video anymore:
"Conversion failed. The converter was not found or was not installed".
How to solve this problem?
I don't know if it is this the reason for the problem, but i noticed that in SETTINGS -> SERVER -> CONVERTER i have the "temporary directory of transcoder" field empty (i can't remember if i had that field previously...) what directory should i use?

TIA

badogski29

Dabbler
Hello not sure if this guide is still good for FreeNAS 11. Is this the best way to install plex now? Don't have that much experience with FreeNAS and its plugins, I had corral and docker was easy but since they stopped supporting it I need to find another way to have Plex on my server again. Thank you guys.

nemisisak

Explorer
Hello not sure if this guide is still good for FreeNAS 11. Is this the best way to install plex now? Don't have that much experience with FreeNAS and its plugins, I had corral and docker was easy but since they stopped supporting it I need to find another way to have Plex on my server again. Thank you guys.
I haven't upgraded to 11 yet but basically yes. You can also install it on a VM if you're that way inclined.
The problem with jails is in the next iteration of freenas (11.1) they are going to change jails/replace them with rocker which means if you go the jail route you're opening yourself up to future problems it appears.
As I have not upgraded yet from 9.10.2 I can't give you a definate answer but that's some food for thought.