Sabnzbd in standard jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasKar

Guru
I'm trying to install Sabnzbd in a standard jail instead of the plugin. I copied my sabnzbd.ini file and it is working but my file permissions are not correct. I believe the default user/group is _sabnzbd/_sabnzbd and my media files are media/media.
I believe I need a version of this command but I'm not sure what it should be. Any help would be appreiciated.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...to-install-plex-in-a-freenas-9-10-jail.19412/

The column with 1002 is the UserID, and 1001 is the GroupID. If you want Plex to have access to the Media mount, you need need to create the Media group in the jail with a GroupID of 1001, and have the plex user in it.

To do this, run the following command (where 1001 is the GroupID):
pw groupadd Media -g 1001 && pw usermod plex -G plex,Media

As @Cosmo_Kramer has said, the media user does need created in the jail, but Im 99.9 certain this is done on jail creation behind the scenes. By far the easiest way for you to run this then, would be to have sabnzb run as the media user. Its done very simply with these commands from inside the Sabnzb jail.. As Cosmo pointed out the user id's UID and group id's GID should match for whatever user you should choose. The media user is created with uid and group id of 8675309 I think. I miss Jenny.
Code:
chown -R media:media /usr/local/sabnzbd
sysrc sabnzbd_enable=YES
sysrc sabnzbd_user=media
sysrc sabnzbd_group=media

You can also consider running your other softwares in this or other jails as the media (or any user that happens to own the datasets) in this same manner. It should lick any permissions issues if your datasets are owned by media. You might also just consider doing the manual edits from within the /etc/rc.conf file if you have many softwares in your sab jail as I do. Then just restart Sab and the other softwares inside the jail or restart the jail itself. Should be all good.

A good bulk of this info is HERE and still is about the best tutorial for this sort of rig.

Last edited:

NasKar

Guru
As @Cosmo_Kramer has said, the media user does need created in the jail, but Im 99.9 certain this is done on jail creation behind the scenes. By far the easiest way for you to run this then, would be to have sabnzb run as the media user. Its done very simply with these commands from inside the Sabnzb jail.. As Cosmo pointed out the user id's UID and group id's GID should match for whatever user you should choose. The media user is created with uid and group id of 8675309 I think. I miss Jenny.
Code:
chown -R media:media /usr/local/sabnzbd
sysrc sabnzbd_enable=YES
sysrc sabnzbd_user=media
sysrc sabnzbd_group=media

You can also consider running your other softwares in this or other jails as the media (or any user that happens to own the datasets) in this same manner. It should lick any permissions issues if your datasets are owned by media. You might also just consider doing the manual edits from within the /etc/rc.conf file if you have many softwares in your sab jail as I do. Then just restart Sab and the other softwares inside the jail or restart the jail itself. Should be all good.

A good bulk of this info is HERE and still is about the best tutorial for this sort of rig.
Thanks for your post John Digital. That has fixed it. Is it best practice to run multiple software in the same jail or each one in it's own jail? I'm assuming it's better to run software in a jail vs plugin as you can get updates as soon as they are available.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
a) This is not the place to ask questions
b) It says "archived" for a reason. You're not supposed to even be able to open new threads here.

Ask your questions in the appropriate subforum, under Help and Support.

Status
Not open for further replies.