(Tutorial) How To Install Plex in a FreeNAS 11.2 Jail

Kersus

Dabbler
I got FN11 up and running and installed Plex in a jail (no plugin). My issue now is that while I found and backup up all the plexdata from my old server, I can't seem to write it into my new Plex jail as despite giving it 7x7 permissions it just will not let me paste the data. In fact, the new PMS doesn't even have it's own plexdata folder. Is it in a different place now?

Ryan Allen

Explorer
I have a Lifetime Plex Pass.
I tried to install but it said there was "No such file or directory".

I'm now using 11.1 on a clean VM to test things out.

Does 11.1 not have/use a different Plex Pass install file? Is it under just the "plexmediaserver" file now?

I just upgraded to Plex-Pass. I don't know if this was already shared or not, but here is how you install Plex with Plex Pass:
taken from https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/2...plugin-to-a-manual-jail-install-on-freenas/p1

1. Manually create a generic jail (jails tab in the top bar, then the add jail button), named PlexPass-Server (or whatever you want, really)

2. Create/link storage for that jail (still in the jails tab, switch to the storage tab, then the add storage button). Make sure you select your recently created Plex jail, and then add your datasets as source.

3. Once you've linked all your storages, go back to the main jails tab and select your Plex jail, then enter the console (you should also learn how to SSH into your jails from a different computer, it will make future updates much quicker, plus if you SSH'ed into your jail, you could copy-paste all of the commands below)

4. Type pkg upgrade ...this will update your "install tools" to the most recent version (follow along, pressing y when appropriate)

5. Type pkg install plexmediaserver-plexpass (follow along, pressing y when appropriate)

6. Then sysrc plexmediaserver_plexpass_enable=YES

7. Once that's done, type service plexmediaserver_plexpass start

8. Type service -R

9. Type exit

10. Run chown -R plex:plex /media on a command line to set ownership of the files (/media might be different depending on the mount points)
Upgrade:

1. SSH into your Plex jail (or click the console button in the FreeNAS GUI after selecting the plex jail into the jails tab)

2. Type pkg update (following along and typing y when necessary)

3. Type pkg upgrade (again typing y when necessary)

4. Type service -R , then exit, and you'll always be up to date!!!

Kersus

Dabbler
I'm still stuck after much searching. I have PlexPass running on my new FN11 box but I can't find a way to import the data from my old FN9.2 Plex (which became PlexPass at some point). I have access to all the media, just not what's been watched and partially watched, playlists and such. Does anyone know how to find the plexdata files on FN11?

On 9.2 I had the Jails in my Media folder so the plexdata was easily accessible, however while I can access my Plex Jail on the FN11 by browsing, I can not write to it, nor is there a plexdata folder in sight. Where is this data kept?

nemisisak

Explorer
I'm still stuck after much searching. I have PlexPass running on my new FN11 box but I can't find a way to import the data from my old FN9.2 Plex (which became PlexPass at some point). I have access to all the media, just not what's been watched and partially watched, playlists and such. Does anyone know how to find the plexdata files on FN11?

On 9.2 I had the Jails in my Media folder so the plexdata was easily accessible, however while I can access my Plex Jail on the FN11 by browsing, I can not write to it, nor is there a plexdata folder in sight. Where is this data kept?
If you read through this thread I have made a post which includes migrating plex data from one new jail from an old jail

Kersus

Dabbler
If you read through this thread I have made a post which includes migrating plex data from one new jail from an old jail

Post 314? Will that work if I'm migrating to a completely different box?

I have FreeNAS 9.2.0 in one box with the old PMS plugin data (although the data is also backed up on my MacBook) and a separate box running FreeNAS 11 with a manual install of PlexPass into a jail.

FN11 works but needs my plexdata from the old box so I know where I am in shows and such. FN9.2 works as a NAS still but PMS is broken, and I tried installing the plugin again but it's still broken. I could try a manual install into a jail still.

Basically, if I could get my FN 9.2.0 box running PMS again, I'd likely scrap the FN11 box even though the hardware is better. Otherwise I'd like to get the plexdata into the FN11 box and I'll give it a real try. If my plexdata can't be imported into FN11 I'll rethink maybe using Linux or something else as the main media hub as I'll have to go through and manually redo all the playlists and such anyway which would suck.

Kersus

Dabbler
https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/ar...the-Plex-Media-Server-data-directory-located-

You can just copy the data from this folder into a new plex install and it should work.

One would think. Thanks to nemisisak I have found the new plexdata folder but I can neither back it up nor write to it. jails/plex/usr/local and I can't seem to find a way to make it accessible. I tried making the Jails directory a share with all rights however I still can not copy or paste files there.

I guess theoretically I could place the backup into the media share folders and copy them over from the shell?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 8.00.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 8.00.47 PM.png
    82 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:

Kersus

Dabbler
Using shell I was able to copy the data over. Thank you for this thread. It would be nice if one could navigate to the jails directory remotely but shell worked.

PrincePaul

Patron
Thanks for the in depth tutorial but could you explain whats the benefit of a manual install over the one click version in the plugins tab? As both create a jail with plex installed into it.

Sorry if I missed that :D

@ Cosmo_Kramer: Is there an IOCAGE Jail How To coming? ;)

Last edited:

nemisisak

Explorer
Thanks for the in depth tutorial but could you explain whats the benefit of a manual install over the one click version in the plugins tab?
Sorry if I missed that :D

@ Cosmo_Kramer: Is there an IOCAGE Jail How To coming? ;)
Using a jail is like a stripped down VM. Its just a favorable more secure way to install programs on a storage server as it seperates your data from the program.

Check the resources for guides installing plex using the new iocage jails

PrincePaul

Patron
In both ways a jail is created with plex running in it.
VM is a third option to run plex.

As far as I understood.

Last edited:

sulli14

Cadet
ah .. thanks for the tip!
Hi there

Followed your manual plex instructions and got it working really easily with updates.. superb instructions, you are a star! Problem I am having is the metadata. I've ssh'd into the jail and removed the old meta files and rebuilt.. still nothing.. ipv6 is disabled and plex movie agent is disabled. Was hoping as your the only one I seem to be able to understand on here you might be able to help? Regards J

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Kingr_

Dabbler
Has anyone had trouble upgrading Plexpass version to 1.11.3.4803?

I'm in the Jail doing the normal pkg update & pkg upgrade and I get the following error:

Code:
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/All/subversion-1.9.7_1.txz:
 Not Found

I've tried
1. update to the latest FreeNAS Version by applying all updates via the GUI
2. pkg update -f

I'm hesitant to do what is listed here https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/adding-packages-in-a-freenas-jail.55819/

but haven't found much other info on the line.

Smithcraft

Dabbler
I believe it's supposed to be:
Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade

However, I think, when I just updated a few days ago, I used the Plex Pass version of:
Code:
pkg update && pkg upgrade multimedia/plexmediaserver

SC

danb35

Hall of Famer

Jailer

Not strong, but bad

I'm in the Jail doing the normal pkg update & pkg upgrade and I get the following error:

Code:
pkg: http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/freebsd:11:x86:64/latest/All/subversion-1.9.7_1.txz:
 Not Found

I've tried
2. pkg update -f

I'm hesitant to do what is listed here https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/adding-packages-in-a-freenas-jail.55819/

That because your jail was created with FreeBSD 11 as the base and it is EOL. You'll need to either rebuild your jail or if it's an iocage jail you may be able to upgrade it. I have never tried the latter so I can't say if it will even work.

At1bob

Cadet

Code:
 Not Found

I've tried
2. pkg update -f

I had the same error this solution worked for me... Thanks!!!

Kingr_

Dabbler
yeah!! pkg update && pkg upgrade

I love simple solutions!

Thanks

jetter555

Cadet
I followed the guide and thought I had everything set up correctly until I copied some new tv shows into one of the folders I had setup in Plex.
Plex does not detect any new shows that I copy to it. It seems like a permissions issue, but when I ssh into the jail, the new files have the same
permissions as the ones currently in that folder. If it is a permissions issue, im not sure where to modify them. In the plex jail itself? in the freenas dataset? on the cifs share? Anyone have any ideas?