Trying to wrap my head around plugins and jails

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuganater

Patron
FreeNAS used to just be a box of HDDs with a Windows share setup. Since I am going with it as my primary solution I am looking into how to setup some of the sweet plugins that it offers.

I read some great things about newshosting/usenet and decided to install sabnzbd to do some downloads but I am hitting a wall when it comes to permissions. The following is testing I am doing on my old FreeNAS setup.

So I have a share out there for NAS which is my main pool and one for media which obv is for media. For simplicity, I set the owner to nobody and the group to nogroup so I can have access. I set sabnzbd to look at /mnt/NAS/media for any new .nzb files I put in there. But when I go to add the folder in the config, I get an error that it can not access that folder. (I'm pretty sure this is my issue but I can access just fine from a windows client, just not in the plugins).

Now this also could be because I set the jail storage up wrong. I tried reading about it but the source and destination make no sense to me no matter how many times I read the documentation. (I am a Windows guy). I have the jail pointing to /mnt/NAS/media for both source and destination. I don't want the data stored in the jail, I want it in my media folder so all my files are in 1 place and not all over.

I did finally get it to work by making a share to /mnt/NAS/jails/customplugin_2/var/db/sabnzbd/Downloads and then mounting that on my windows machine.

Is it really this hard or am I an idiot?

PS. Once I figure this out I want to figure out couchpotato.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
the source is fine, your destination doesn't make much sense. This path should be relative to the jail's perspective. Alot of people use /media because it already exists, but you could use anything.

I don't recommend you setup your share that way. Your share should point to a dataset outside the jail, that dataset should be mounted into the jail.
If you are having permission issues read this and implement this. https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

Nick2253

Wizard
Each jail has its own folder hierarchy. /mnt/SomeFolder from a jail's perspective would be /mnt/NAS/jails/jailname_1/mnt/SomeFolder from FreeNAS's perspective.

What you want to do is add storage to your jail (https://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_jails.html#add-storage). For example, I have a "Downloads" dataset at /mnt/volume1/Downloads which has all of my downloads. I mount that to my jail so it shows up to the jail as /mnt/Downloads. Then, I point the program in the jail (in this case, Transmission) to use /mnt/Downloads. To share access to that folder, from FreeNAS, I share /mnt/volume1/Downloads. Also, when you add storage to your jail, that helps tremendously with permission issues.

Fuganater

Patron
OK so by adding the "media" (816) user, changing the media dataset to have the owner/group be "media" and now sabnzbd can access that folder and pull the files, great! But now I can't access the folder from windows...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
OK so by adding the "media" (816) user, changing the media dataset to have the owner/group be "media" and now sabnzbd can access that folder and pull the files, great! But now I can't access the folder from windows...
like I said, it'd fix your plugin issues =P
what I have done for family members needing CIFS is have the share's "force user = media" in the auxiliary parameters. also force guest access

Fuganater

Patron
Well I have it working right now. Both couchpotato and SABnzbd are cooperating, files are downloading and moving to the proper folders after they finish. Things will remain ok until I try plex because I saw in the article that the user is "plex" and not "media". I guess I will have to try that line but use plex? "force user = plex" ?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Well I have it working right now. Both couchpotato and SABnzbd are cooperating, files are downloading and moving to the proper folders after they finish. Things will remain ok until I try plex because I saw in the article that the user is "plex" and not "media". I guess I will have to try that line but use plex? "force user = plex" ?
If plex needs read-only access then you should have to change anything. You can even make the mountpoint a readonly into the plex jail.

This is what I do with Emby

Status
Not open for further replies.