New with FreeNAS and plugins (Plex)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johev

Contributor
Dear FreeNASers,

I am new to FreeNAS, as I have recently built my first NAS machine.
DELL T20 (E3-1225v3, 12GB ECC (4+8), 3x4TB Seagate Surveillance + 1TB (drive that came with the server)
FreeNAS installed on a 32GB SanDisk USB 3

I have tested the HDDs, ECC RAM and CPU and everything looks nice and stable.
All my CIFS shares are finally working correctly with read/write whenever I am logged correctly.

My issue is with the plugins. So far I was not able to get any of them working.

FreeNAS 9.3 stable (all updates done)
Plex 0.9.12.3.1173

PLEX:

I have followed most of the tutorials that I could find.

My setup is the following:
FreeNAS side:
Accounts:
name: media
group: media
path: /mnt/v1/media
No password necessary: YES
(permissions selected read/write/execute for other)

My volume is called "v1"
mnt/v1/plexmediaserver_1
mnt/v1/.warden-template-pluginjail--x64 (no clue what this is - can I delete it without affecting Plex?)
mnt/v1/media (changed permissions so that other can write/copy things into it)

CIFS share:
media
path: /mnt/v1/media
Use as home share: NO (un-ticked)
Apply default permissions: YES (ticked)
Allow Guest Access: YES (ticked)

Add Storage for Plex
Jail: plexmediaserver_1
Source: /mnt/v1/media
Destination: /media
Read-Only: NO (un-ticked)
Create directory: YES (ticked)
Mounted? YES (ticked)

Now I am able to use the File Explorer and create folders and copy videos to the CIFS share "media". However when I go to Plex and I try to add a folder, I can only see the folders inside the plex jail.
I am unable to select the CIFS share "media" or any other network folder other than the "media folder in Plex jail".

By the way I don't know why, however I don't get a wirzard in Plex to add storage and configure it (I have seen some videos where under fresh install, plex has a wizard). I am trying to add a folder by going to the left side panel, pressing the + button and then selecting Movies and folder.

After 2 days of messing with this, deleting and reinstalling the plugin, datasets, shares and users I decided to come here and ask for your help.

Last edited:

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Inside the jail, your data would be in /media. There is no reason to try to connect to anything else. The mounted storage is where your files are.

Johev

Contributor
Inside the jail, your data would be in /media. There is no reason to try to connect to anything else. The mounted storage is where your files are.

Thank you. I must have been blind :).

diedrichg

Wizard
You can leave the warden-template, it's what's used to build the jails. If you delete it, the next time you install a jail it will have to download the template again and they are quite large.

Johev

Contributor
@diedrichg thank you for letting me know what that was. I will keep it there, as it's not hurting anyone and plex seems to work now.

Now I just wish installing couchpotato, sickbear, transmission and ownCloud would be easier :). Any updated tutorials which I could use would be helpful.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
@diedrichg thank you for letting me know what that was. I will keep it there, as it's not hurting anyone and plex seems to work now.

Now I just wish installing couchpotato, sickbear, transmission and ownCloud would be easier :). Any updated tutorials which I could use would be helpful.
You mean clicking install on the plugin page is too hard?

Johev

Contributor
You mean clicking install on the plugin page is too hard?

LOL, yeah right that's the major issue I have :). I might be a newb however I have already done some configuration and FreeNAS has been working OK, thus far.

Several tutorials that I have read for example suggest to not use the click to install button for some plugins like ownCloud. If everything was that simple and straight forward, you would not get 100s of posts on how to install and configure these plugins. That is why I have politely asked for any updated guides on this subject.

Johev

Contributor
Status
Not open for further replies.