Trying to install from USB, "Failed with error 19"

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
I downloaded FreeNAS 9.3, did a sha256 check. Then I used the dd command with bs=64k to create my install media. I've tried two different USB drives, port on the front of my case, port on the back of the motherboard. I Google'd the error and it looks like it is related to not supporting USB3. In the FreeNAS 9.3 docs I found this:

"when using a USB stick, USB 3.0 support is disabled by default as it currently is not compatible with some hardware, including Haswell (Lynx point) chipsets. If you receive a “failed with error 19” message when trying to boot FreeNAS®, make sure that xHCI/USB3 is disabled in the system BIOS. While this will downclock the USB ports to 2.0, the bootup and shutdown times will not be significantly different."

So, I did this. I went into my BIOS and found the xHCI option and set it to disabled. I'm still getting the same "failed with error 19" message. Not sure what I can do next.

S

sef

Do you have separate USB2 vs USB3 slots? If so, try the USB2-specific ones.

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
Do you have separate USB2 vs USB3 slots? If so, try the USB2-specific ones.
Yes, and it is plugged into a USB2 slot. I remembered reading before installing FreeNAS 9.2 that it doesn't work right with USB3 and have avoided it for FreeNAS.

S

sef

Okay, where are you getting the message? While booting the installer? If so, can you post a screenshot?

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
Okay, where are you getting the message? While booting the installer? If so, can you post a screenshot?
Yes, while booting the installer. Not sure how you screenshot that. I suppose I could take a cell pic and upload it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What hardware are you using? It seems that something is not going to plan with the USB hardware.

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
What hardware are you using? It seems that something is not going to plan with the USB hardware.
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0
AMD FX8350
16GB ECC RAM
2x8GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit (I have been using one successfully on FreeNAS 9.2, ordered a second one for mirroring in 9.3)
StarTech 2 port USB adapter (has worked fine in 9.2 with the one drive attached, inserted the second drive in it as well)
IBM megaraid controller flashed with LSI IT firmware for direct pass through
and of course several hard drives.

S

sef

So, to me, that's very strange: the kernel has booted, and has found a file in the filesystem, but then when it wants to attach it, it gets ENODEV. But then references to the device (md0) occur right after.

Also: which version of 9.3 did you use?

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
I can give it a try tomorrow morning. I don't want to take it down right now. Are the nightlies generally considered stable? Coming from the Android world, I usually avoid nightly developer builds of things. I know this is a lot different situation though.

FlexibleToast

Dabbler
Well, new build (official release), new problem. Did the same thing, downloaded from official page, checked the sha256sum, dd if of bs=/64k. I did a quick search on Google and found someone with a similar problem had corrupt pools. I know mine aren't, it boots into 9.2 just fine still. Still have to do more research.
TnvdwfY.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.