SOLVED Mount "failed with error 2."

Status
Not open for further replies.

indivision

Guru
Posted the issue here: https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/6967

I put together a new Supermicro, 16GB RAM system today. I was able to install 9.3 from USB to USB. Shut down. Moved the USB to the internal USB port. Reboot.

The boot fails with "Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/default failed with error 2."

Any ideas?

UPDATE: I had moved the USB to a USB3 port. I tried moving it to a USB2 port and it booted up. I'm not sure if that is a bug or if FreeNAS just doesn't work from USB3 ports?

Does anyone know if Supermicro BIOS typically includes USB options that would allow treating the USB3 ports in legacy USB2 mode? I would really prefer to use the internal USB port on the motherboard. But, it's USB3. I don't see options for this in BIOS or BMC. But, maybe I'm overlooking a screen...? Any Supermicro expert help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
S

sef

FreeNAS does not, by default, work with USB3; you have to have the xhci driver loaded. (As I do.) Set xhci_load=YES via the GUI after you boot, and then try rebooting again.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The whole "USB3 doesn't work" is discussed in the manual. It's mentioned why its disabled and how to enable it if you want to risk the potential problems. ;)

If you had searched the bug tickets before creating one you'd know that we had this problem 18 months ago (when USB3 was disabled by default).

S

sef

That is not a helpful response. Bug reporting should be encouraged, and I found nothing wrong with his.

indivision

Guru
Yes, tunables -- System > Tunables > Add Tunable, xhci_load set to YES.

Thanks again. Worked like a charm.

The whole "USB3 doesn't work" is discussed in the manual. It's mentioned why its disabled and how to enable it if you want to risk the potential problems. ;)

If you had searched the bug tickets before creating one you'd know that we had this problem 18 months ago (when USB3 was disabled by default).

My apologies. I have read a lot of the manual and did search. But, didn't catch that info. Will try to dig further first next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.