SOLVED troubleshooting internet connection - what am I missing?

Jables

Cadet
Running 11.2U1 here on a gen 8 HP Microserver. The internet went down some time ago, but I didn't miss it heavily and am only looping back around now to fix it months later. I don't remember exactly, but I think it may have went down silently when I set up my LAGG.

LAN works fine and always has; internal network access to the server is good across all of my machines. LAGG improved things nicely and I'm getting max throughput over gigabit, runs like a dream. But yeah, the server seems to not have internet access and I don't get my usual notification emails on a reboot or weekly status, and I am not able to update, or pull the plugin list. That side of things is completely down and, for example, when trying to update, I get an error (after some time):
urlopen error [Errno 8] hostname nor servname provided, or not known: Automatic update check failed. Please check system network settings.

I've just been updating manually in the meantime, but want to get this working now. In my network config, I have my router IP plugged in as the ipv4 gateway + nameserver 1. I have google plugged into ns 2 and 3 (8.8.4.4, 8.8.8.8). No luck yet.

Please let me know if there's something obvious here I'm missing? Or if there might be steps or a test to see where my point of failure is with this - I've run out of ideas.

Thanks as always ya'll!

kdragon75

Wizard
Can you ping your gateway? If yes, can you ping the DNS servers? If you can ping the gateway but not dns what's the output of netstat -r?

Jables

Cadet
Thanks for the reply! Ping to the gateway (router) and google dns was unsuccessful. Just sits and never seems to complete the ping.

Ping to another machine on the network is fine. Hmmm. I'll check the config on the router side... it's basically on defaults (except for static server IP) but there has to be something buried in there that's not letting it get through.

Jables

Cadet
Update - it's working. Strange one! The lagg had apparently caused the router to incorrectly identify the mac address of the bonded nic when setting up the static IP. When I did an ifconfig in the freenas shell, and plugged that mac address into the router's static IP field, everything went through.

Weird that it was partially working and seemed to be pulling the correct IP otherwise before, even with the incorrect mac address.

In any event, all good here!