No internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then please explain why i have full internet connection, and have not put in any DNS and no static route:

Network
Routes

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Because you DO have a static route for default. See where you've put "192.168.1.1" in "IPv4 Default Gateway"?

That IS what i said in my first reply:
The gateway can act as a DNS service, in which case you only have to give the IP of the gateway.
On which you replied it was a fail. Now i put in screenshots and you say something else?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes, that's a fail. You notice how your nameserver isn't working, right? That was what the complaint was. You cannot just shove random crap into the configuration and expect it to magically populate elsewhere as needed. Your screenshot clearly displays that fail: you can get to the Internet because you've got the static default route configured, but you cannot resolve names because you have no nameserver configured. Merely giving the NAS a gateway IP address will not magically make name resolution work.

You MUST have a nameserver configured for global name resolution to work. To do that, you have to configure more than just a default gateway. I'm not quite sure why this point seems hard to comprehend, since it's been presented by several forum members.

Well, that is the thing: the names do get resolved. ntp servers work fine (from pool.ntp.org), installing & updating software in the jails works fine, updating FreeNAS works fine, list of available plugins works fine, mail service works fine.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That doesn't make any sense. What's in /etc/resolv.conf ?

Sorry, i saw your question after i posted.

But i think we found the answer here:

search local
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220

Somehow my previous configuration for testing with OpenDNS did not get removed, when i removed it using the GUI. I think i should log this as a bug?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That's strange. Is it possible you're picking that up via DHCP or something like that? If it isn't, and it failed to remove the nameservers when you removed them, that seems like it's probably a bug.

I don't like DHCP because it does things behind your back. Infrastructure like NAS isn't supposed to magically change, at least once in production... and DHCP always seems to end up involved somehow.

I do not have anything DHCP configured on the NAS box, and the IP addresses i use for the NAS are outside of the DHCP range. Also, DHCP for the client computers has no DNS addresses configured. Clients use the gateway as DNS and the gateway itself uses 3 DNS server addresses. In the resolv.conf file are only 2, which are the two i had previously put in the GUI network settings, but removed later.

I totally agree, DHCP is a no-go for a NAS system. Shouldn´t even be considered.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Then it sounds like a bug. Obviously that should have been cleared out and, hopefully also obviously, your name resolution shouldn't be working.

Did some additional testing, and it urns out that the file only gets changed if you put in another DNS address, but it doesn't get saved it you empty the DNS address. Added this to the bug posted above.

Thanks for your input jgreco.

Status
Not open for further replies.