Freenas - 2Wire Gateway Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwallace1984

Dabbler
I've been using my Freenas setup for a few months now without a hitch. A couple of weeks ago, however, I moved to a new house. We didn't have internet installed yet, so I kept the nas hooked up to my old modem so I could still access movies/tv shows from my htpc. Today I had AT&T Uverse installed. Problem.

I am unable to access my NAS from my pc. It is set up to have a static ip address. When I put the ip address into a browser, the gui will not appear (connection problem). I can't access the files in file explorer.

After Googling for a few hours, I've seen varying problems with the uverse 2wire gateway.

Can anyone out there help me? I still have my old Actiontec Modem, if that helps in any way.

Current Hookup:

Network - 2Wire Gateway - NAS (wired)
- PC (wireless)

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Put monitor and keyboard on nas.
Configure new IP address to fit within your new LAN subnet.

Done.

#stayparanoid

c32767a

Patron
Network - 2Wire Gateway - NAS (wired)
- PC (wireless)

This is your problem.

All the Uverse installs I've seen have a separate NAT environment for the wired network and the wireless network, effectively isolating them.

You will have to solve this problem on the Uverse modem. Or turn off Uverse wireless and buy your own wireless access point and run everything off the wired port. You could use your existing actiontec for this, if it has a wireless interface.

The way I would choose to solve the problem is by getting a different internet provider. I realize that's sometimes not possible, but don't feed the troll (Uverse) if you don't have to.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
This is your problem.

All the Uverse installs I've seen have a separate NAT environment for the wired network and the wireless network, effectively isolating them.

You will have to solve this problem on the Uverse modem. Or turn off Uverse wireless and buy your own wireless access point and run everything off the wired port. You could use your existing actiontec for this, if it has a wireless interface.

The way I would choose to solve the problem is by getting a different internet provider. I realize that's sometimes not possible, but don't feed the troll (Uverse) if you don't have to.
I used to have uverse and the WiFi was in the same subnet as my wired clients

#stayparanoid

toadman

Guru
Put monitor and keyboard on nas.

Done.

#stayparanoid

I agree this is most likely the answer.

I would check the 2WIRE to see how it's setup as well. I have one and on mine (3800) the wired and wireless are on the same subnet. If this is the case the OP should confirm that if he's using a static IP on freenas it's not conflicting with the DHCP range on the 2WIRE (assuming you are using DHCP).

c32767a

Patron
I used to have uverse and the WiFi was in the same subnet as my wired clients

#stayparanoid

Strange.. The installs at our locations in ATT territory all arrived with WIFI natted separately from wired. I always thought that was weird, almost like they had enabled some sort of DMZ and had all ports on the box assigned to the DMZ, rather than just 1.

jwallace1984

Dabbler

#stayparanoid, could you describe how to find the LAN subnet and configure IP address? I originally used the GUI to configure the static ip.

Nevermind, got it! I just used the freenas wiki to change the static ip to match the range of my router, and I can now access the gui and open folders!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

jwallace1984

Dabbler
New problem: I can't upload files to the nas using my pc.
When I try, I receive Error 0x8007003B: An unexpected network error occurred.

I can see the shared folders from my pc.
I can stream the nas files to my htpc.

Help!

Last edited:

Snow

Patron
Buy a after market router or build a pfsense Router. There is Noting you can do you fix this. all of the at&t Gateways are like this including the 3800,3801,589 ech!! They Are point to point and not true routers it well not allow you to use more then one port per a device for communication so if you owned to xbox 360's you could only connect one to the xbox live client theres Noting you can do to fix this......

Status
Not open for further replies.