Can ping my gateway but not anything outside my network

sammyg7241

Cadet
I just installed FreeNAS for the first time and set up my NIC with a static IP address. I can't access the web interface. I can ping my gateway and another server on my network but can't ping anything else outside the network including the DNS provider IP (I tried pinging 1.1.1.1)

pschatz100

Guru
Be sure you have all of your network parameters specified correctly. You need to set the IP address, network mask, default gateway, and name server(s). DHCP does this for you automatically, but when manually specifying a static IP address then you are on your own.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I just installed FreeNAS for the first time and set up my NIC with a static IP address.
All the other addresses, besides the IP of the FreeNAS, used to be configured on the Network / Global page. Looked like this:
1564976042485.png

Now, in the New GUI, you need to do the same, but it isn't as easy to find.

1564976195072.png

You need to click the "Network" item on the left menu, then click the "Global Configuration" item. The Default Gateway is probably not set, and you might need a Nameserver also.

melloa

Wizard
Looked like this:

We got to create a resource with this, in case there isn't one, and one from the console. Users miss some parameters when setting up static some times.