Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanrupp

Dabbler
Running FreeNAS 11.1U4

Static IP not DHCP
Running DNS 1.1.1.1 , 1.0.0.1
Simple set up.

No Frills, the server is set up for a Windows Share Drive.

While sitting at a Windows 7 terminal I can access the GUI via IP. I can PING the IP. However, when I try to PING the server name it's timed out.

To complicate this:

I can access my FreeNAS sever right now via a Fortinet VPN. I access this via the FortinetClient Console. On my MAC I can also PING the IP but not the server name. I can also access the GUI. However, mapping the network drive I can access everything using the IP of the server. But again if I try the name it will not work.

My problem is that I need to be able to map the FreeNAS server on my Windows computers, not my MAC. I have IP ping but no name.

Now I understand it may be a DNS issue. But even when I'm on a direct link network I can't connect.

Any ideas ?

kdragon75

Wizard
This setup does not use DNS unless you have a DNS server that is setup and configured with an A record for FreeNAS. You are relying on a service called avahi that is built into FreeNAS to advertise the name of the server and it corresponding IP address. Otherwise SMB will use WINS for name resolution of NetBIOS names.

You can also map a drive with the IP address.

jonathanrupp

Dabbler
Ok so am I missing something here or is this a known issue ? Because I keep running into small known things.

So on my Mac I can map;

\\x.x.x.x\share\

and I will be asked for authentication and granted.

Now on my PC I can ping by IP however using the same thread as above I am unable to get any valid authentication gate.

This is my first FreeNAS experience and I love the idea. I just hope I can get it working. This is simply strange.

kdragon75

Wizard
What is your user name on your PC and what if any users do you have setup on your FreeNAS? Also please provide a screenshot of your share config and SMB global config.

RegularJoe

Patron
I bet your PC is managed by your work? to rule out DNS make entries in your hosts files so that name resolution is not a problem. What kind of PC, windows 7? windows 10?

Your PC's and FreeNAS need to use the same DNS server and when you do a nslookup or dig on each client they can do forward and reverse lookups?

jonathanrupp

Dabbler
See that's the funny thing here. I'm the network administrator. So I know for fact how, what, and wjere, when it comes to my network. But this is my first experience with FreeNAS however. I do have some screen shots to forward and maybe I'm just missing sometime so simple here.

We use a variety of PCs from Win7 to Win10.

kdragon75

Wizard
Well if you get the a login prompt when trying to map via IP, its a permission/account/SMB issue.

RegularJoe

Patron
1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 are external dns?

https://1.1.1.1/

for inside you need to seed your DNS with your custom host names and ip addresses. FWIW a better DNS is OpenDNS as they do some malware filtering free and make fancy charts for your home LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.