No internet connection

Cyclograpsus

Cadet
Hello!

I have been using an old HP Proliant ML30 to set up a NAS with TrueNAS Scale (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2.1) which has been working great, however I recently noticed when I tried to do an update (ERROR: "TrueNAS was unable to reach update servers.") that while it is accessible through the network it isn't connected to the internet.

CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v5
RAM: 2x 8gb 2rx8 pc4-2133p-ee0-11
Mobo: HP 822184-001 (use the dual inbuilt nics on the mobo)
First router: Netgear M5 Nighthawk (only provides internet to the second router)
Second router: DLINK DSR-1000 AC
Switch: Cisco SG-200-26 (aggregate link on two ports to the NAS)
NIC: HP 616012-001 (not used and didn't seem to work when I tried connected to it)

I have double checked the settings on the routers, switch and NAS and I haven't been able to fix the issue, but perhaps I have set up the NAS setting wrong, I have provided a screen grab for reference below. I use a static IP which I have set on the NAS and reserved in the router to the switch aggregate link.

I wanted to ask if anyone has had similar issues and were able to fix it? I'm fairly new to new working so I could have miss-configured something, I'm not sure if having a double NAT would cause this issue? I've read that the onboard nics can be troublesome to deal with and I'm happy to go get an intel nic if it would likely fix the issue. I did receive one email today from the alert system which makes me think that the nics could be the culprit.

Any help appreciated!

1673406301551.png

1673406329346.png
1673406348625.png

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
use the dual inbuilt nics on the mobo)
Start by getting rid of that complexity and use a single NIC. I suspect you're not benefitting from it anyway.

I'm not sure if having a double NAT would cause this issue
Not very likely, if other services on the network are reaching the internet.
I've read that the onboard nics can be troublesome to deal with and I'm happy to go get an intel nic if it would likely fix the issue. I did receive one email today from the alert system which makes me think that the nics could be the culprit.
Are these Broadcom? Can we see the message you mention?
Since this is Scale, Broadcom should be fine, so I hesitate to blame the NICs themselves, especially if local networking works.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I have been using an old HP Proliant ML30 to set up a NAS with TrueNAS Scale (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.2.1) which has been working great, however I recently noticed when I tried to do an update (ERROR: "TrueNAS was unable to reach update servers.") that while it is accessible through the network it isn't connected to the internet.
In my understanding it is a wrong conclusion from this error description that there is no internet connection. This is a very specific error and there are multiple reasons why it could occur despite a working internet connection.

The first test would be to run something like ping www.truenas.com from the command line and see what happens.

Cyclograpsus

Cadet
Start by getting rid of that complexity and use a single NIC. I suspect you're not benefitting from it anyway.

Not very likely, if other services on the network are reaching the internet.

Are these Broadcom? Can we see the message you mention?
Since this is Scale, Broadcom should be fine, so I hesitate to blame the NICs themselves, especially if local networking works.
So as you suggested I removed the link aggregation and went back to a single cat cable into the nas, I had trouble removing the bond in the web interface as it didn't pass the test of the new network settings, so I did the changes on the interface directly from the nas by connecting a monitor and keyboard, removed the bond and set up a new connection with dhcp.

I was then able to send test alert emails but couldn't connect to the truenas servers and was had between 50 - 100 % packet loss pinging google (8.8.8.8). After a second reboot it connected to the truenas servers and I was able to apply an update to bluefin (TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0). Everything appears to be working now with no packet loss.

It is a shame to lose the aggregate link as it was useful when using multiple computers, however most of the time I'm working off one computer so the real world benefit doesn't really change.

I have attached a screen grab of the error for reference.

Thanks for all your help!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    30.2 KB · Views: 151

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, the rule of thumb I've always heard is 10 clients for it to make a practical difference. And even then... Well, 10GbE and beyond are increasingly within reach.