Trouble with MiniDLNA configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAXIS

Dabbler
Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new to FreeNAS (just updated to 9.2.1.7) and having some problems with configuring the MiniDLNA (1.1.0) plugin.

I installed it as a Plugin directly rather than through the old separate Jails method and now need to add storage.

MiniDLNA has ended up as /mnt/Core/Jails/minidlna_1
I'd like to add music from /mnt/Core/Music first, then video from /mnt/Media
(I understand from the MiniDLNA docs that these can be created separately.)

I've followed the Plugin installation guide and have come to add storage. However, when I open the Add Storage panel, it is headed by the following warning:
  • The path '/mnt/Core' requires execute permission bit
Now, I do have a user and group created for the purposes of secure sharing across my network (and CIFS on /mnt/Core and /mnt/Media), but I'm not sure what exactly this is referring to? Which user or group needs execute permission? And more importantly, how do I grant said permission? Or is this somehow not to do with the users or groups at all?

---

Incidentally, I'm also lumbered with a number of directories in /mnt/Core that were home to previous aborted attempts to set-up Jails as per the FreeNAS 8 method, which now won't delete, with error "Operation not permitted". If anyone could advise on the removal of these too, it would be highly appreciated!

Any and all responses will be most appreciated! Thank you.

Yatti420

Wizard
You need to set executable via mnt/core.. Your permissions are probably preventing the storage from mounting.. Run Ls -l to see what permissions are se to..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

HAXIS

Dabbler
Thanks, Yatti.

The ownership of /mnt/Core is nobody:haxis with rwxrwx--- (By contrast, /mnt/Store is root:wheel with rwxr-xr-x)

Will adding that final execute bit to Core fix the problem? Will it have any knock-on issues regarding the security of the password-restricted CIFS share?

Yatti420

Wizard
The only way to know is test it..

Sent from my SGH-I257M using Tapatalk 2

HAXIS

Dabbler
Okay, chmodded to 771 and the warning no longer appears. Thanks!

However, adding the mount fails. Looks like the GUI is unable to create the mount point within the jail.

"Error: The path could not be mounted /mnt/Core/Music: Mount failed (64) -> mount: /mnt/Core/Jails/minidlna_1/mnt/Music: No such file or directory"

Running the jail's shell and manually creating the directories Music and Video I've been able to add the storage successfully, although I'm still a little confused as to why I needed to do this; why the GUI wasn't able to create them itself, having created the jail in the first place. Rather odd.

---

If anyone has any thoughts about removal of the defunct folders from previous aborted jail attempts (as above), please do say. I've four; two root:haxis 755, and two haxis:haxis 777, and whilst I can rename them, none will move or delete.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.