Transmission settings - complete folder permissions

fizzgig656

Contributor
Hi all. I'm sure this is another simple question and the answer must be staring me in the face.
Im in the process of moving over from nas4free to freenas. New box built and basic setups done. Installed plex and working. Now working on transmissions. I used it under nas4free so decided to keep with it, Ive installed it and now Trying to set it up.
Ive set the temp location for files being downloaded in the plugin page and where do I set the completed download location? Whats "Script Torrent Done" for? Also tried going I to the transmission gui to set speeds etc but the setting do not seem to stick. And the download location is set to within the jails. If I change it it doesn't stay either?

Go on who's going to tell me it's simple and advise what I'm doing wrong?

fizzgig656

Contributor
I know under nas4free it was a built in service, as its a plugin on freenas do i need to setup a transmission user? grant specific permissions owner/group for the files it uses?

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
Hi all. I'm sure this is another simple question and the answer must be staring me in the face.
Im in the process of moving over from nas4free to freenas. New box built and basic setups done. Installed plex and working. Now working on transmissions. I used it under nas4free so decided to keep with it, Ive installed it and now Trying to set it up.
Ive set the temp location for files being downloaded in the plugin page and where do I set the completed download location? Whats "Script Torrent Done" for? Also tried going I to the transmission gui to set speeds etc but the setting do not seem to stick. And the download location is set to within the jails. If I change it it doesn't stay either?

Go on who's going to tell me it's simple and advise what I'm doing wrong?

It is simple, but not the first time you do it. The complication is the jail is designed for security. So you can't access anything outside of the jail from inside the jail. It is sort of virtualized, but not. What you do is link a mount point(empty folder) inside the jail to a place in your Storage pool. The jail will think it is writing to space inside the jail, but the data will actually be written somewhere else. I would recommend /media/(name of folder) in the jail to /mnt/(name of pool)/(name for directory). Once you have that configured, then you can go in to the add on and configure the folder. Once you do it a few times it is easy.

fizzgig656

Contributor
ok thanks Allan, ive only dabbled so far with these and when i started under nas4free it was an inbuilt services so i guess a lot of the config was easier and i set that one up quiet easy, ive got a grasp on some bits, ive installed the transmissions plugin, and set the jail storage as below.
upload_2015-12-8_22-54-38.png

do i need to set transmission up as a user and group? (921 i read somewhere) and does any of the folders need to transmission to be the owner?. this is what ive tried to setup in the plugin
upload_2015-12-8_22-57-48.png

when i open the transmission webgui none of the settings are as i set them and the download to location is set as mnt/Sdata/jails/Downloads is this the temp location of completed?

I would like transmission to use a dump area while downloading the files under /mnt/Sdata/services/bittorrent then when completed move it to /mnt/Mdata/Media/New TBC , i guess i could name the a bit easier?

Attachments

• upload_2015-12-8_22-53-37.png
    upload_2015-12-8_22-53-37.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
the speed should be set from the transmission webui. if it's not sticking maybe your settings.json isn't owned by the transmission user for some reason. this is in /var/db/transmission and the user exists in the jail. also please try stopping and starting transmission after making changes in its webui so the settings are committed to disk, otherwise the freenas menu can overwrite these if not done in the proper order.

the download location is labeled "Download to" in the transmission webui.
the script is a script you have transmission run after a download completes. I use it to run a script from the nzbToMedia project to trigger sickrage/couchpotato to cleanup and organize the downloaded file.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ok thanks Allan, ive only dabbled so far with these and when i started under nas4free it was an inbuilt servies so i guess a lot of the config was easier and i set that one us quiet easily, i ve got a grasp on some bits, ive installed transmissions plugin, and set the jail storage as below.
View attachment 9510

do i need to set transmission up as a user and group? 921 i read somewhere. this is what ive tried to setup in the plugin
View attachment 9512
when i open the transmission webgui none of the settings are as i set them and the download to location is set as mnt/Sdata/jails/Downloads is this the temp location of completed?
you don't need to create the user outside the jail on the host, but that could be used for other purposes depending on how you want to do things.
that 'download to' sounds wrong, transmission runs in its jail and sees paths from its own perspective.

fizzgig656

Contributor
the speed should be set from the transmission webui. if it's not sticking maybe your settings.json isn't owned by the transmission user for some reason. this is in /var/db/transmission and the user exists in the jail. also please try stopping and starting transmission after making changes in its webui so the settings are committed to disk, otherwise the freenas menu can overwrite these if not done in the proper order.

the download location is labeled "Download to" in the transmission webui.
the script is a script you have transmission run after a download completes. I use it to run a script from the nzbToMedia project to trigger sickrage/couchpotato to cleanup and organize the downloaded file.

Ok i think i wasnt restarting the plugin afer making a changes, so thanks,

so would i be right to set the plugin settings for temp download as /mnt/Sdata/incomplete downloads
and the completed one is /mnt/Mdata/New TBC as seen from the jail (the storage destination)

fizzgig656

Contributor
thanks for confirming i dont need to setup the user/group Joshua

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Ok i think i wasnt restarting the plugin afer making a changes, so thanks,

so would i be right to set the plugin settings for temp download as /mnt/Sdata/incomplete downloads
and the completed one is /mnt/Mdata/New TBC as seen from the jail (the storage destination)
yeah that should work. though do realize you're rewriting the file, which isn't as efficient as having the incomplete and complete location on the same dataset. you're doing a read-write-delete operation instead of changing a pointer.

fizzgig656

Contributor
ok, so would it be better to have another separate temp file as /mnt/mdata/incomplete downloads or move the completed folder into /mnt/Sdata

the only reason i used to keep them serperate was space and so i could check the downloaded files before moving them to general access.

the rest seems to be working, thanks all, just needed that little pointer and some advice and im progressing again.:D

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
ok, so would it be better to have another separate temp file as /mnt/mdata/incomplete downloads or move the completed folder into /mnt/Sdata

the only reason i used to keep them serperate was space and so i could check the downloaded files before moving them to general access.

the rest seems to be working, thanks all, just needed that little pointer and some advice and im progressing again.:D
it's completely up to you. people organize it all sorts of ways. you could even prefer to rewrite the file so it isn't fragmented (a product of being a torrent)

fizzgig656

Contributor
Just tried and tested but transmissions has download data but when completed it has not moved the file to the completed folder. It's still in the incomplete folder. Any thoughts. Does the destination folder need certain permissions? It's currently set to a new group.
What permissions/group etc does transmission use inside and out of jail?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Just tried and tested but transmissions has download data but when completed it has not moved the file to the completed folder. It's still in the incomplete folder. Any thoughts. Does the destination folder need certain permissions? It's currently set to a new group.
What permissions/group etc does transmission use inside and out of jail?
yes, any program that writes data needs the user its running as to be able to have write permissions where it's writing...

transmission by defualt runs as the user 'transmission' in the jail with UID=921.
I don't think you completely understand how inside and outside of jails users work. transmission run inside the jail as a user (which corresponds to a UID). Outside the jail files written are seen as written by the same UID, this UID can correspond to a user outside the jail, but doesn't have to. conventional UID to user mappings can be found in the UIDs file in the ports tree, but this is only for convention.

This thread may be helpful
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

fizzgig656

Contributor
Ok thanks for your reply. I had some grasp of that but admit I'm a novice, and only guessing as to why the files have not moved. It could be something completely different. If transmission writes to the mounted resource destination within the jail the same uid is used outside where the resource source of the mount resides, I take it. Sorry if that's drawn out.
I guess my question should of been what permissions, owner and group is given to files created in the source end of the mounted resource used by transmisson? Does it create files with inherited permissions?

Weird thing is download properties show it as being in the completed folder when it's not is that because it trying to move it?

I will have a look at the link, thanks. And check my directory permissions.

fizzgig656

Contributor
I'm wrong. The incomplete download folder is also a mounted resource and transmissions created it there fine with 921 as owner and media as group. Can't see why it's won't move it. From transmissions webgui it show file X is Location: /mnt/New TBC
But it's not its still in incomplete download..

Last edited:

fizzgig656

Contributor
Aaaah. Not sure if this is the fix/problem (on my part) or just luck, but I put a "/" at the end of the completed location from within transmissions webgui. So it now reads /mnt/New TBC/ and it's moved it.

Not surprise, donut on my part...

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
glad you got it working.

I believe tranmission will write files with the user it's running as, group of the inherited directory, and permission level specified in the settings (minus the execute bit for files), available in the left panel of the FreeNAS WebUI.

fizzgig656

Contributor
I believe tranmission will write files with the user it's running as, group of the inherited directory, and permission level specified in the settings (minus the execute bit for files), available in the left panel of the FreeNAS WebUI.

Yes looking at the files i would say your spot on. - thanks for your help.

fizzgig656

Contributor
Im having this problem again and ive not changed anything, is there a log somewhere that would shed some light on why a file will not move. ive cheked the details and the above setting / groups appear the same, nothings changed.

fizzgig656

Contributor
Ah got it ( well i thing), folder permissions for completed location was 775, changed it to 777 and its moved, so i guess it needs the write part of "other" to be granted. i assume as its a linked storage the UID used to write to the file is something other than "root" user or a member of "Media" group. i understand UID 921 is used inside the jail, but what UID is user when transmission writes to the linked location? meaning the file is then outside the jail and on the host? - just for curiosity????