Transmission 'Permission denied '

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Croney

Dabbler
I have been singing FreeNas praises before this but now.......:mad:

I have been trying to get Flexget and Transmission to work for two weeks now. I got some help in get Flexget installed but the crontab return an error, '_secure_path: /etc/login.conf is not owned by root''. I chmod root:wheel login.conf but the crontab dose not run now.

Transmission receive files but stop the down saying 'Unable to save resume file: Permission denied'. I have google this, but found no help that resolve this problem. Can anyone help? :(

I have 9.3 should I revert to a older version and forget about this version?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Reverting to an older version of FreeNAS won't magically solve your permission issue. Either the transmission daemon can write to your download folder or not.

Please explain your situation more.
  • Are you using the transmission plugin or pkg/port?
  • Is flexget installed in the same jail, I'm assuming with pkg/port?
  • What is the owner and permission levels of the folder transmission is supposed to be writing to?
    • ls -l /path/to/downloads
That cron error sounds bad to me. Did you ever change permission or ownership of you jail/plugin datasets?

John Croney

Dabbler
Thanks for your response.

I did not expect that it would solve every thing "magically " for me by reverting but I have only had these problems after 9.3.

I use the plugin option to install transmission. Form researching, I understood that flexget should have it's own jail and therefore, as I have always done it has a separate jail.

Code:
[john@freenas] /mnt/disk2% ls -l /mnt/disk2/downloads
total 36556
drwxrwxrwx  14 webdav  webdav        23 Jan 20 20:43 ./
drwxrwxrwx  12 webdav  webdav        17 Jan 20 20:01 ../
-rwxrwxrwx   1 webdav  webdav     12292 Jan 20 20:43 .DS_Store*
-rwxrwxrwx   1 webdav  webdav      4096 Jan 20 20:43 ._.DS_Store*
drwxrwxrwx   4 webdav  webdav         5 Feb  9  2014 20140209/
drwxrwxrwx   4 webdav  webdav         5 Mar  2  2014 20140302/
drwxrwxrwx   4 webdav  webdav         5 Mar 23  2014 20140323/
drwxrwxrwx   4 webdav  webdav         5 Jul  6  2014 201407060000/
drwxrwxrwx   4 webdav  webdav         5 Jul 27 00:00 201407270000/
drwxrwxr-x  15 webdav  webdav        19 Jan 23 20:07 Finished/
drwxrwxr-x   2 webdav  webdav         3 Jan 23 19:42 Incomplete/
drwxrwxrwx   2 webdav  webdav         3 Aug 22  2013 Torrents/
drwxrwxrwx   2 webdav  webdav         2 Jun 26  2013 Trailers/
drwxrwxrwx   7 webdav  webdav         8 Jun 23  2014 UNITED/
drwxrwxr-x   2 webdav  webdav         2 Jan 15 22:18 Watch/
-rwxrwxrwx   1 webdav  webdav  13290034 Nov  1  2013 com.bbm-1-2.doc*
-rwxrwxrwx   1 webdav  webdav    241664 Dec 31  2013 freenas-v1.db*
-rwxrwxrwx   1 webdav  webdav     31252 Dec 19  2012 repository.bstrdsmkr-0.0.3.zip*
-rwxrwxrwx   1 webdav  webdav    135554 Aug  5  2013 repository.tvcatchup.addons-1.0.3.zip*

from this help request you would see what I have done to get flexget to work
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-do-i-install-flexget-freenas-9-3.26797/

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
Sorry to But in But I am having similar problem just re-done all my plugins and Transmission is giving permission denied. Moved locations (Thailand to Indonesia) and had a problem with Router and did a complete re-install of everything (thanks to large USB drives). All my other plugins are OK.

My Permissions in Transmission for the media directory are:
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 5 Jan 24 16:43 (exactly the same as SABnzbd which is working)

however for inside the media it shows

root@transmission_1:/media # ls -l
total 50
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 816 816 2 Dec 27 20:02 Complete
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 816 816 2 Dec 28 21:52 Incomplete
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 816 816 7 Jan 24 17:06 Torrents

Is there a problem here as the Transmission jail does not appear to resolve the group name. Why would the dates be different on the folders if they were all only created today.

Whereas all the others show media rather than 816 (which is the media group number). I did try to change them to media and that gave the reply invalid group.

The windows owner is media (Unix User\media) and both media (Unix User\media) and media (FREENAS\media) have full control over these folders in windows.

Transmission is version 2.84_1
My user Chris_joyson primary group is wheel and is also a member of media (group ID 816).
media is a member of media (primary) and wheel.
media's member are Operator, Chris_joyson, media and root.
wheel members are Chris_joyson and media.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Code:
drwxrwxr-x  15 webdav  webdav        19 Jan 23 20:07 Finished/
drwxrwxr-x   2 webdav  webdav         3 Jan 23 19:42 Incomplete/
I'm assuming you are trying to download to /mnt/disk2/downloads/Finished or Incomplete. Both of these folders are owned by the user and group webdav and have owner+group write, but no other write.
Here's your options in order of easiest to hardest
  • Change permission level of these folders to allow other write
  • Change owner of these folders to the UID/GID of transmission
  • create the webdav group in the jail with the matching GID as the FN host. add the transmission user to this group in the jail
  • create the webdav user in the jail with the matching UID as the FN host. set transmission to use this user

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Sorry to But in But I am having similar problem just re-done all my plugins and Transmission is giving permission denied. Moved locations (Thailand to Indonesia) and had a problem with Router and did a complete re-install of everything (thanks to large USB drives). All my other plugins are OK.

My Permissions in Transmission for the media directory are:
drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 5 Jan 24 16:43 (exactly the same as SABnzbd which is working)

however for inside the media it shows

total 50
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 816 816 2 Dec 27 20:02 Complete
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 816 816 2 Dec 28 21:52 Incomplete
drwxrwxr-x+ 2 816 816 7 Jan 24 17:06 Torrents

Is there a problem here as the Transmission jail does not appear to resolve the group name. Why would the dates be different on the folders if they were all only created today.

Whereas all the others show media rather than 816 (which is the media group number). I did try to change them to media and that gave the reply invalid group.

The windows owner is media (Unix User\media) and both media (Unix User\media) and media (FREENAS\media) have full control over these folders in windows.

Transmission is version 2.84_1
My user Chris_joyson primary group is wheel and is also a member of media (group ID 816).
media is a member of media (primary) and wheel.
media's member are Operator, Chris_joyson, media and root.
wheel members are Chris_joyson and media.
That's normal. Sabnzbd and Transmission are in different jails and have different user databases. They wont have the same additional users unless you force them to. They see the same files, with the same permission levels and UID/GID ownership but won't associate them with a user/group unless they have that user/group in their user/group database.

I have no idea about the time stamp or Windows permissions.

I'm assuming you want to let transmission have write access to these folders? Either..
  • create the media group with GID 816 in transmission jail. add the transmission user to the media group in the transmission jail
  • create the media user with UID 816 in transmission jail. set transmission to use this user
    • sysrc 'transmission_user=media'

Christopher Joyson

Contributor
OK I did this:

tried adduser which failed as there was no media group.

Then looked up this command:
# pw groupadd media
followed by :
# pw groupshow media
with the result:
media:*:1001
so looked up the command:
# pw groupmod media -g 816
result (# pw groupshow media ):
media:*:816
so used adduser again to add media
Transmission is still not working so I added root to media
# pw groupadd media -M root
result (# pw groupshow media ):
media:*:816:root
then I added media to media with:
# pw groupmod media -m media
still no luck then I noticed in the cosole that there UID 921 had exited and transmission had shut down, so I restarted added in 921 as below:
# pw groupmod media -m 921
result :
media:*:816:media,root,transmission
I then deleted root from the media group with:
# pw groupmod media -d root
as I thought I'd better not be too loose with all these users and just stick to basically what you said..

• create the media group with GID 816 in transmission jail. add the transmission user to the media group in the transmission jail

So I now have:
media:*:816:media,transmission

My Folders are like this:
Watch Directory: /media/Torrents
Download Directory: /media/Complete
Incomplete Download Directory: /media/Incomplete

All linked folder (main Storage and jail folders) have full rights for both media (Unix User\media) and media (FREENAS\media) in windows. User Everyone only had Read & Execute, list folder contents and read so I made it full control.

Media folder now looks like this:
total 50
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 media media 2 Dec 27 20:02 Complete
drwxrwxrwx+ 3 media media 3 Jan 25 14:57 Incomplete
drwxrwxrwx+ 2 media media 7 Jan 25 14:50 Torrents

I believe the changing of the user everyone to allow full control may have done it.

John Croney

Dabbler
After re installing a older version 9.2.1.6 I was able to install Transmission and Flexget with out any problems and Transmission has no problems access my drives with out changing any permissions on the drive or folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.