Transmission Plugin Permission Denied Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1236

Cadet
I'm trying to setup transmission on my new FreeNAS box with a lot of issues 9.10 is a pain in the ass with permissions. I'ved added storage to the jail like I've done before, the storage is set to be
Code:
/mnt/Vol1/Dataset1/Alex/Torrents/downloads
it is mounted and the destination is
Code:
/media/downloads
and when I start something in the transmission web interface I get a permission denied error. The odd part is that I had accidentally told it to download to "Downloads" with a capital D by accident so I couldn't see it in Windows for some reason but it had downloaded and was viewable inside the "Add Storage" which was odd and then I realized I received permission denied when I switched it to the correct "downloads" directory and setting it to any other directory at all gives a permission denied error. Transmission has been given "777" permission inside the plugin settings GUI as well as maxed perms on the Transmission jail storage. Setting the transmission jails storage to root/wheel doesn't work and setting it to Alex/SUDOUSER or even root/SUDOUSER doesn't work. (SudoUser is a group I created in FreeNAS to give certain people access to sudo/admin etc as well as to allow myself (Alex) to access other folders on the dataset like ESXi stuff etc.

I'm at my witts end I have no idea what is wrong right now and this is super frustrating. I had it working on 9.215 awhile back but then I decided to use a different PC for FreeNAS so I made a new USB and started from scratch with new drives new CPU, mobo, ram etc and now I am on 9.10 This was working with a little less perms on 9.215 for some reason so I don't know what the fuck changed in 9.10 but it's annoying as fuck.

EDIT: Now Transmission turned off on its own and won't turn back on, what the fuck?!?!

I'm seeing errors about pam_start system error as well as errors about login.conf being world writeable. I changed perms to make it so Transmission's jail storage is not world writeable but is still world executeable and readable and transmission still won't start up.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I'm trying to setup transmission on my new FreeNAS box with a lot of issues 9.10 is a pain in the ass with permissions. I'ved added storage to the jail like I've done before, the storage is set to be
Code:
/mnt/Vol1/Dataset1/Alex/Torrents/downloads
it is mounted and the destination is
Code:
/media/downloads
and when I start something in the transmission web interface I get a permission denied error. The odd part is that I had accidentally told it to download to "Downloads" with a capital D by accident so I couldn't see it in Windows for some reason but it had downloaded and was viewable inside the "Add Storage" which was odd and then I realized I received permission denied when I switched it to the correct "downloads" directory and setting it to any other directory at all gives a permission denied error. Transmission has been given "777" permission inside the plugin settings GUI as well as maxed perms on the Transmission jail storage. Setting the transmission jails storage to root/wheel doesn't work and setting it to Alex/SUDOUSER or even root/SUDOUSER doesn't work. (SudoUser is a group I created in FreeNAS to give certain people access to sudo/admin etc as well as to allow myself (Alex) to access other folders on the dataset like ESXi stuff etc.

I'm at my witts end I have no idea what is wrong right now and this is super frustrating. I had it working on 9.215 awhile back but then I decided to use a different PC for FreeNAS so I made a new USB and started from scratch with new drives new CPU, mobo, ram etc and now I am on 9.10 This was working with a little less perms on 9.215 for some reason so I don't know what the fuck changed in 9.10 but it's annoying as fuck.

EDIT: Now Transmission turned off on its own and won't turn back on, what the fuck?!?!

I'm seeing errors about pam_start system error as well as errors about login.conf being world writeable. I changed perms to make it so Transmission's jail storage is not world writeable but is still world executeable and readable and transmission still won't start up.
the pam issue happens when you change the owner/permissions of a jail dataset. these operating system and application files should not have their owner/permission changed.

I suggest you delete the plugin, install a new one and implement a solution from this linked thread.
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...plugins-write-permissions-to-your-data.27273/

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
wow reading what you did is pretty funny. if you read and fully understand the 'facts' section of my link youll see you made several mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.