Transmission problem, permission denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christafa

Cadet
Hello!

I just fixed transmission on my freenas, I haven't used it much but I think it would be great if I would be able to download movies and stuff directly on to my freenas instead of downloading them to my personal computer and then drag it over to my freenas.

Now to the problem. I used a USB-drive when i got transmission, I followed this guide exactly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpJT5ehqhKI . But the problem is that I can't save it to my 2tb hard drive, when i try to change the settings to save it in /mnt/freenas/downloads instead of /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads I get an error that says permission denied.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Best regards, /Christafa

cimimonsti

Cadet
You need to create a mount point. On the left of the FreeNAS WebGUI, navigate to Services -> Plugins -> Management -> Mount Points. Create a mount point.

In your particular case, Source should point to
Code:
/mnt/freenas/downloads
and Destination should point to
Code:
/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads

This should work. Keeping downloads out of the Transmission Plugin is a good idea, btw. However, I won't get into that as it would probably cause confusion.

Try it and report back.

/cim

Christafa

Cadet
Thanks for the reply!

I tried to make create a mount point but it still says Error: Permission denied (/mnt/freenas/Downloads/New.Girl.S02E04.HDTV.x264-LOL.[VTV].mp4)

I have a password set for my hdd that I want to download the things to, could that be the problem?

/Christafa

cimimonsti

Cadet
I tried to make create a mount point but it still says Error: Permission denied (/mnt/freenas/Downloads/New.Girl.S02E04.HDTV.x264-LOL.[VTV].mp4)

Just to be clear. The source of your mount should be the directory, not the actual file. If I'm reading your post wrong, please clarify what you mean.

I have a password set for my hdd that I want to download the things to, could that be the problem?

No. Permission for creating mounts, or anything within the FreeNAS WebGUI, are completely separate from persmissions set to your HHD.

/cim

Christafa

Cadet
Source: /mnt/freenas/Downloads

Destination: /mnt/Tank/Jail/Pluginjail/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads

That's what i choosed when I created my mount point.

When I'm in transmission and tries to download the file "New.Girl.S02E04.HDTV.x264-LOL.[VTV].mp4" it says what i wrote before, Error: Permission denied (/mnt/freenas/Downloads/New.Girl.S02E04.HDTV.x264-LOL.[VTV].mp4)

And when I'm in transmission i changed the download folder to /mnt/freenas/downloads

cimimonsti

Cadet
Christafa,

Open the Shell, type in
Code:
ls -l /mnt/freenas
Copy and Paste what's returned.

/cim

Christafa

Cadet
[root@freenas ~]# ls -l /mnt/freenas
total 2878584
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody 1003 12292 Oct 3 08:33 .DS_Store
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody 1003 4096 Oct 3 07:41 ._.DS_Store
-rw-r--r-- 1 coffe htpc 763 Oct 1 05:21 .cshrc
drwxr-xr-x 2 www www 512 Oct 1 06:00 .freenas
-rw------- 1 coffe htpc 319 Oct 1 05:32 .history
-rw-r--r-- 1 coffe htpc 261 Oct 1 05:21 .login
-rw-r--r-- 1 coffe htpc 171 Oct 1 05:21 .login_conf
-rw------- 1 coffe htpc 383 Oct 1 05:21 .mail_aliases
-rw-r--r-- 1 coffe htpc 343 Oct 1 05:21 .mailrc
-rw-r--r-- 1 coffe htpc 789 Oct 1 05:21 .profile
-rw------- 1 coffe htpc 288 Oct 1 05:21 .rhosts
-rw-r--r-- 1 coffe htpc 984 Oct 1 05:21 .shrc
drwxrwxrwx 2 nobody daemon 512 Mar 28 2012 .snap
-rw-rw-rw- 1 htpc daemon 1473344514 Jul 24 12:07 Batman.Begins.avi
drwxr-xr-x 2 40001 40001 512 Oct 11 02:42 Downloads
drwxrwxrwx 80 htpc daemon 5632 Sep 26 07:33 film HD

I think I found out the problem! Like I said, when i changed the download to direction to /mnt/freenas/downloads it got an error, so I just removed the text in "download to" and it changed automaticly to: " /usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/homr/downloads". So I tried to download after that and then it worked and the files saved in my downloads folder on freenas :D

cimimonsti

Cadet
Haha, what versions of FreeNAS and Transmissions are you running? Transmission has a hard time displaying the correct path, as it's a virtual plugin running. A common bug that requires manual input of the path. I'm glad to see you got it working. Please be sure to leave your versions as requested above. This can help someone reading through the forums.

/cim

Christafa

Cadet
I am running Freenas 8.2.0 and transmission 2.51 :)

Do you know how I can see if it only downloads to my freenas folder or if it downloads to both freenas folder and my usb-memory that I installed the plugin on?

It makes me scared when it says that it should download to "/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/homr/downloads".

cimimonsti

Cadet
Thanks for providing the versions.

Honestly, I'm not sure as I've never tried it off a USB. However, in theory, as long as you've setup all datasets in parallel, and mounts are set appropriately, they should end up in your freenas folder. I've taken a screenshot of my zfs to show you what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/Rl8b5.png

I've downloads countless of crap, including Batman Begins :rolleyes:. However, as you can see, both Jailbreak and Plugins datasets are allocating just a few mbs, while the Media dataset is growing.

Not a direct answer to your questions, but hope this was useful in someway.

/cim

Christafa

Cadet
How can you call Batman begins crap!? I think it's a really good movie. :D

It looks like everything is working fine now. Thank you so much for your help! :)

Haha, by the way, I have one more question, it's not about transmission but still. When I look at your screenshot I see that you have a lot of things you can change in storage, I can do that on the usb drive I used for this, but I only have like 3options to use from on my hard drive.

Here's a screenshot of how it looks, maybe you know why it is like that.
http://i46.tinypic.com/2i0rgg0.jpg

/Christafa

Status
Not open for further replies.