Transmission permission denied error

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamatesla

Cadet
Hey guys, I know this is a common problem but I'm really stuck here. I've read over a dozen other posts about this issue and am still having trouble figuring it out. I'm also new to FreeNAS so I'm sure that's not helping.

So I have a simple FreeNAS setup - I have one dataset I created and want this dataset to be public to everyone on my network for now, so I set Owner(user) to nobody and Owner(group) to nogroup.

I created a SMB share using the aforementioned dataset and this works just fine across my network. All my computers can read and write to the folders I've created inside the SMB share.

Now, I want Transmission plugin to save downloaded torrents into a "Torrent" folder I created in this dataset/smb share. I installed the Transmission plugin and it works just fine at the web interface. I attached storage to it by setting Source:/mnt/yourmom/mainshare/Transmission (this is the directory I made in my dataset where I want torrents to end up) I set Destination: /media (download location inside the Jail).

I'm getting the typical "Permission Denied (/media/torrentitriedtodownload)" error message in the Transmission interface. I honestly can't figure out what user or groups I need to add to get this to work. I tried SSHing into the Jail and setting the /media folder to 777 but apparently that is no longer allowed. I also tried to ad a plethora of random users and groups with "921" for transmission with no luck.

Maybe it's because I'm new to FreeNAS, but I'm a bit amazed about how difficult this has been. I can't even figure out where the problem lies. Is the permission inside the Jail - the /media folder - the one with permissions set too strict currently? Or is my dataset configured with permissions that are too strict? There must be a simple solution to this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Allan Wilmath

Explorer
Why not just change the user account for the SMB guest in the SMB service settings panel? Just change that to match the user your plug in is using. You will have to change the existing owner of the files, but should be fine after that.

iamatesla

Cadet
So I actually think I just found a fix. Similar to what you recommend. I had to change the SMB share permissions for the Everyone group to allow write access to the SMB share - I did this from a client computer on my network - not on FreeNAS at all. This, I guess, changed the permissions for the entire SMB share and allowed the Transmission Jail to write to the SMB share.

Seems to be working now.... we'll see if it keeps working. Thanks!

kotta

Cadet
Hi, I'm a newbie on the freenas, but it looks fantastic, but I'm in the same situation with the transmission.

Based on the all articles and videos i set the same
1. Installed the transmission
2. created adataset
3. shared it via SMB
4. configured the transmission and created the storega for it source: previously created and shared dataset, target the transmission media folder

the issue, if the mounted option set to true, than the transmission says permission denied, if i turn it to false, than the transmission can donwload the file.

What i found if it is true, than the media folder write by other flag has been removed.

kotta

Cadet
I found the issue. I stopped the transmission and set the folder permission from the windows desktop to wider. Restarted the transmission and now looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.