transmission breaks every time I change plugin configuration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisma

Explorer
As the title says, as soon as I try to edit the watch directory etc. for transmission from the freenas gui, it no longer allows me to access the transmission web gui. I get a "site can't be reached - connection refused" error.

Restarting the jail doesn't fix it, restarting the plugin doesn't fix it, it just permanently breaks the plugin. When I create a new one, everything works fine again, but as soon as I try to customize my set up, it breaks again.

What could be causing this? I did not have these issues in older releases. I used to just edit the settings.json file in the ..etc/home/transmission folder and everything was fine. It seems in these later versions, setings.json is being read from /var/db/transmission, and editing the file manually doesn't fix anything. It forces me to edit from the freenas gui, which breaks the plugin.

Any tips?

Hisma

Explorer
by the way, doing a
Code:
service transmission restart

from the cli shows that transmission starts up just fine every time. I can't seem to find an apache or nginx server that I can check. How does transmission create a web interface?

Hisma

Explorer
another peculiar thing I notice, which may be the source of my issues, is that "webui enabled" always unchecks every time I save settings. Rest of my settings stick, but rpc login always remains false. Even changing it in the cli, it is always overriden back to false.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Hardware specs, freenas version?

Hisma

Explorer
Xeon 1220v3 with 32gb ecc running freenas 9.10. I've had transmission since the earliest freenas 9 releases and never had this issue.

D

dlavigne

Weird. Anything related in /var/log/messages on either the jail or the FreeNAS system?

Hisma

Explorer
well I found a work-around for this issue.

What I have to do is copy the settings.json file to another location. Then I can edit the file all I want and the changes persist. Once I get the file set up the way I want, I can go to my rc.conf in the jail and edit the "transmission_conf_dir" option to my new settings.json path. Then everything works as it should.

This is not ideal however because once I point to the new conf dir, I can only edit the settings from the freenas gui, and as before, any changes in the freenas gui auto-unchecks the web-ui option.

I am convinced this is an issue with permissions, but I am unsure why the plugin jail modifies permissions like this when I had no issues previously. If anyone else runs into this I'd be curious.

We're close enough to freenas 10 that I will just hold out with what I have until then.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Did you start transmission before editing the settings? Maybe freenas is creating the settings.json before transmission has a chance to create it with the correct permissions.

When I worked with the code that edits settings.json it shouldn't be changing the permissions of the file. If you want to debug further please do the following...
* create new transmission instance for testing
* enable transmission, check it's working
* edit the setting from freenas menu, check if it stopped work as you were describing

then please show the output of the following
Code:
ls -l /var/db/transmission
service transmission onestart

Status
Not open for further replies.