Transmission/Bittorrent permission error

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevetuk

Cadet
I'm running FreeNAS-9.1.1-RELEASE-x86. Used to run 8 so jails and plugins are bells and whistles now compared to ye olden days.

I installed a jail (nicely automated) at /mnt/DATA2/Jail, and also the Bittorrent (aka Transmission) plugin. I set up a CIFS share on the default download directory at /usr/pbi/transmission-i386/etc/transmission/home/Downloads

I can access this folder without any problems through Windows.

However I'm experiencing permissions problems and get this error after a minute or so of setting a download to start: Error: Unable to save resume file: Permission denied

To try to resolve this, I manually created a new user called transmission (ID 1002), assigned it to a group called localusers, and changed permissions on the Jail root to give ownership (group) to localusers leaving ownership (user) as nobody. I set the mode to 775. I set this change to be recursive.

Still no joy.

I'm sure I'm missing something pretty obvious - is anyone able to help point me in the right direction, please?

borisattva

Dabbler
i seem to have the exact same issue.

when direct upgrade 8.x > 9.1.1 attempt gave me invalid package errors, i followed the 8.2 > 8.3 > 9.1 > 9.1.1 upgrade path which seemed successful.

for a "fresh start" i completely unlinked and deleted the prior installations of both minidlna and transmission, and reinstalled them using the GUI.

minidlna appears to work flawlessly.

transmission downloads just fine without storage linking.

however when i try to link transmission jail's "Downloads" folder to a jail-external folder that i use for CFS sharing, 4mb into the download, it fails with ""Error: Permission denied (/usr/pbi/transmission-amd64/etc/transmission/home/Downloads/"

Jails, and both the minidlna and transmissions have been owned by root automatically from the GUI installation

the dataset i use for CFS sharing is owned by a user i created specifically for sharing, and owned by group wheel, shared with root.

if i browse down to the downloads within the jail contents, i'm not able to copy (read) those contents, which is understandable, and why i had to create the storage link to push the actual downloads into the CFS shared location instead.

yet i'm not understanding why is transmission/root being prevented from writing to that initially internal location that is storage linked to the external location.

what is the proper way to set up users and permissions so that transmission downloads go somewhere where i can read/write through CFS?

stevetuk

Cadet
The home dir is set to /nonexistent at the moment. Should I be setting that to /usr/pbi/transmission-i386/etc/transmission/home/ ?

Further to this Q: I went ahead and changed the home dir to the home dir for transmission but still no joy with this. I also tried changing the permissions to Windows rather than UNIX but this prevented transmission from even starting so I switched them back to UNIX (equiv 775).

stevetuk

Cadet
Noticed the username associated with the transmission-daemon process was some spaces and a 921 so I changed the user ID of the manually created transmission account from 1002 to 921 and it now shows:
3079 transmission 4 20 0 37096K 6500K nanslp 0 0:01 0.88% transmission-daemon

I thought maybe that would tie it up (i.e. that the 921 user ID wasn't in the group with perms on the folder). However, still no joy...

Wyl

Explorer
I did a complete reinstall today. I only made one change to the permissions default on my system. I only added a check box to Groups can write.

I loaded Transmission and added storage to my jail using the media folder and a new mnt/storage/download dataset I made. When I first started the it, i was getting the permission error.

I then has a brain flash! I added a check, read, write, execute to the "Other" to the mnt/storage/download dataset permission. and BAM! it started working.

Now that I have open that data to "Other" Is there anything I need to worry about?

SmallGuy

Guru
Reactions: Wyl
Status
Not open for further replies.