Transmission 2.94

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I didn't know about this release so thank for telling me. I can work on updating the plugin when I find free time... which is rare but should get done eventually. Any important reasons to update to this release?

Mark Holtz

Contributor
Here you go....
Release_Transmission_2.94_·_transmissiontransmiss 2018-05-11 09-36-29.png

ChaosBlades

Contributor
Looks like it still has not yet been updated for BSD.

https://www.freshports.org/net-p2p/transmission/

This might be another program I am going to need to move away from a jail and put in a Linux VM. BSD is really becoming one of those things that either can't do a task or updates are really slow.

ChaosBlades

Contributor

appoli

Dabbler
I’m not fully familiar with the way plugins work - can they be updated via the port tree or does one need to wait until the plugin is updated as well?

Thanks!

ChaosBlades

Contributor
The plug-in maintainer will need to update the plug-in at which point you will have an update button in the freenas gui. Or you can manually install transmission in a manually created jail at which point you can simply run the update command once the application has been updated on the website linked a few posts above. Which it has been. But the best option if you want to stay up to date and not wait for months for people to Port applications is to install a Linux vm and install the application right from the developer which is what I did shortly after my fist reply in this thread. In my opinion I wouldn't bother with jails unless the original developer is supporting freebsd as well as all the dependencies. Which is rare. I would stay away from any freebsd ports of any kind if you want to stay up to date.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
still haven't had time to get to this, and I doubt I will be able to anytime in the near future. Got a baby on the way so that has taken all my free time, trying to finish up a bunch a home projects. Maybe I'll have free time when he gets here? I'm hoping at least.

As ChaosBlades said, if you want 2.94, options would be...
  • freebsd pkg - rely on pkg maintainer to update
  • freebsd ports - need to be able to edit port when new updates come out, usually this just means updating the version number and checksum, sometimes more editing is needed. don't rely on anyone.
  • linux vm - rely on linux package maintainer, don't run code natively (possibly would have higher overhead, don't know how much it would effect performance)
  • freenas plugin - rely on me... could be a while

SavageAUS

Patron
Which port do we use to install transmission in an iocage jail? Not a pkg. guide?

If you look on freshports and search transmission multiple options show up.

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Which port do we use to install transmission in an iocage jail? Not a pkg. guide?

If you look on freshports and search transmission multiple options show up.
If memory serves me correct, it is transmission-daemon, and that will pull in everything you need.

danb35

Hall of Famer

SavageAUS

Patron
Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer

SavageAUS

Patron
Yes, and there's no reason to use the port.

As I understand it, updating ports takes another utility like portmaster.
I thought ports were more up to date than the pkg?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danb35

Hall of Famer
I thought ports were more up to date than the pkg?
(1) Not necessarily (at least by much), and (2) does it really matter? The Transmission packages are at 2.94, so they're current in any event. If you have to update all your software to the latest version as soon as it's released, you need to be building straight from the source without using either ports or packages. If a delay of a few days is acceptable, the package will usually get updated pretty quickly as well.

Now, if you need to compile something with non-standard options, you'll need to use ports. Some software doesn't get built as packages, so that would be another obvious case. And some people just have a thing for wanting to build everything from source themselves. Any of those would be cases that would call for using ports. But most of the time, if the package is available, the simplest and best answer is to use it.

Edit: I'm probably getting a little snippy here, which I don't really mean to, but some folks here just seem obsessive about updating software, and I don't understand it. "OMG the Plex package is two days out of date!", for example. Yes, it's a best practice to keep your software up-to-date, but a delay of a few days (or even weeks) isn't going to hurt anything in most cases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.