Transmission port closed with PIA

arn0z

Dabbler
I have run into this issue lately where something that worked (port forwarding with PIA) now suddenly doesn't and nothing has changed in terms of OS (updates, jails). External changes that I have noticed are:

1. Verizon quantum router seems to have gotten a firmware update that now redirects to SSL secured route (certificate is self-signed)

What used to happen is for the port to close suddenly after working fine for like a week. This was either because transmission just barfed or it was actually closed by PIA. This led to me restarting the jail again. No big deal.

I have noticed things over time such as:

tun0 state DOWN emailed to me (I reviewed the logs and the state went back UP after a second)

Because things worked I didn't really look into it much.

Another thing that really fucking bothers me:

uname -KU

shows significantly different values in transmission jail. In a new jail I made to test out they were 1102500 1102000. Current jails including transmission (that I migrated) all have 1102500 1100122.

Again stuff has been working fine for months. I don't know why all of a sudden it broke. I even updated from 11.2-RELEASE.U1 to U2.1 to see if that would do anything. Nope.

Anyone have any ideas where to look. I have wasted 6 hours today to no avail. Looking if its a DNS issue didn't lead me anywhere. Checking open ports for my VPN connection ip also was fine.

I got transmission to log and this is something that comes up in logs:

Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP) initnatpmp succeeded (0) (/wrkdirs/usr/ports/net-p2p/transmission-daemon/work/transmission-2.94/libtransmission/natpmp.c:70)
Port Forwarding State changed from "Not forwarded" to "???" (/wrkdirs/usr/ports/net-p2p/transmission-daemon/work/transmission-2.94/libtransmission/port-forwarding.c:92)

The last line bothered me so I went looking into transmission source:
port-forwarding.c

That is an absolutely fucking horrendous way to log something. So bad I might actually ditch this fucking thing. Mind you that is a log message supposed to help you figure out what's happening.

Has anyone seen this before?

I appreciate every second of your time. Thanks.

arn0z

Dabbler
Ok. Solved this. In my ipfw.rules file I had set tun1 instead of tun0 (which is currently the interface available on jail). tun1 was available at some point. It's related to openvpn opening 255 of them when you have allow_tun=0. Once I set that to 1 a long time ago things worked but for some reason tun1 was left instead of tun0. Within this week something changed. I either accidentally updated the allow_tun value while messing with jail config making them all go away and then setting it to 1 again which would create tun0 (openvpn service restart).