Transmission Permissions

PiP

Dabbler
Hello,

I did something very dumb over the weekend and now finding my transmission setup, which working fault free for years, not working correctly.

Here's the long version:
  1. I thought to upgrade transmission from 2.92 and not knowing that this could be done from the console did so directly via "pkg install transmission-daemon"
  2. The alarm bells were warning but stupidly I persisted despite the messages / warning provided.
  3. After 2.94 was installed I thought nothing more of it but the next day when I came use, it wasn't working properly.
  4. I then did what I should have done in the first place and took the time to look through the gui, and having realised that I could upgrade from there, did so.
  5. Confirmed that 2.93 now installed. Web interface works fine, torrent download works fine.
  6. I am using PIA, I also think that works fine as it previously was.

My problem is that transmission is downloading now with file permission -rw-r--r-- (644?), whereas it was -rw-rw-r-- (664). I've tried changing this through the GUI which is telling me that it is set to *edited* 775 (and isn't from what I see), so I think I have broken something with the aforementioned stupidity. Would like to return it to how it was, downloading to 664 and or get the web interface working again.

Also, and equally problematic Directories are now created as drwxr-xr-x whereas they were drwxrwxr-x

Any help getting this sorted out would be much appreciated.

Regards,

PiP

Last edited:

PiP

Dabbler
thanks dasis, I'll see if there's any other solution before I start making up new users and groups that I didn't need before, but it might be that is the simple fix.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
You can change the umask setting in the config file. Make sure to stop transmission before making settings changes.

PiP

Dabbler
Tested from within the jail that freenas gui is writing to this file /var/db/transmission/settings.json and appears to be doing so (I change the tranmission permissions from the gui from *edited* 775 to 777 and check the umask changed, which it did).

Rebooted machine

did another download and directory permission still drwxr-xr-x and file permissions still -rw-r--r--

its as if I have broken the link somehow between the settings file and transmission daemon?

Would really like not to have to do a reinstallation as that means I have to go through the PIA setup again, but maybe that is the lesson that needs learning...

Last edited:

PiP

Dabbler
edited my posts as realise I didn't quote the settings correctly - it should have read 775

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So I think you originally had the plug-in version and setup. Then you did a pkg install to install a new version of transmission. So now you have 2 different transmission services. The config file you are changing is for the plug-in. You can try and uninstall the pkg version you installed. Or change the setting file in, /usr/local/etc/transmission/home/settings.json I think

PiP

Dabbler
thanks, will try both and report back.

Sorry if this is a simple question, but how do I uninstall a pkg?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
man pkg for more info. but you want pkg delete transmission-daemon