SOLVED Transferring files really slow I need help ):

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itay1778

Patron
Hey I'm new to the community and all this thing called FreeNAS and after I've defined everything and everything worked (and I have to say lucky to have this community because I've also used the posts of others here)
But after everything was set I started copying and it copied at a rate of only 11.4M / S and I really checked everything from the router settings to everything webUI and everything was normal and this problem is not only reading WIN in my Mac so I really do not know what the problem I use The connections in CAT6 to Switch and the switch to the router have CAT7 so there is no problem of cable and NAS and the computer I tested has a 1GB network card (the switch supports up to 100MB and I do not currently have the ability to upgrade to a 1GB switch) but there is some way to speed up I know I Will not get the 100 MB of the switch but at least 70MB it would be excellent

Thanks Itay

Nick2253

Wizard
Step one, is you need to provide hardware, configuration, and version details: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

Step two, is you need to provide a little more detail about what you're doing. Are you copying from your FreeNAS to your client(s)? You mention Windows and Mac, so I'm assuming you have multiple clients. Do you get identical behavior with all your clients?

Also, we're going to need you to be very careful about how you write your units. Capital "B" is byte, lowercase is "b". For example, network cards are gigabit, not gigabyte. I have many times seen problems where unit confusion was the actual source of the issue, or masked the actual issue.

And, I just realized that you only have a 100Mbps switch. So, case in point, I think this is what we are seeing here. A 100Mbps network link will transfer data around 12MB/s max. 11.4MB/s is just about what you'd expect.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
But after everything was set I started copying and it copied at a rate of only 11.4M / S [...]

Most possibly you are talking about 11.4 MBytes/s here ...

the switch supports up to 100MB and I do not currently have the ability to upgrade to a 1GB switch

... which is 100 MBit/s. Your switch is the problem.

Itay1778

Patron
Step one, is you need to provide hardware, configuration, and version details: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-4-11-17.45124/

Step two, is you need to provide a little more detail about what you're doing. Are you copying from your FreeNAS to your client(s)? You mention Windows and Mac, so I'm assuming you have multiple clients. Do you get identical behavior with all your clients?

Also, we're going to need you to be very careful about how you write your units. Capital "B" is byte, lowercase is "b". For example, network cards are gigabit, not gigabyte. I have many times seen problems where unit confusion was the actual source of the issue, or masked the actual issue.

And, I just realized that you only have a 100Mbps switch. So, case in point, I think this is what we are seeing here. A 100Mbps network link will transfer data around 12MB/s max. 11.4MB/s is just about what you'd expect.

motherboard: Intel DH55HC
CPU i3 540
RAM 8gb ddr3
4 disk in Raid 0
Intel network cards built-in 1GB

What I did was check that everything worked and then actually saw that speed I copied files from my computer to NAS and checked each client separately so there was no pressure on the NAS At first I thought it was a problem in Windows so I moved to Mac and saw copy speed similar to Windows (11.4 MBytes / s)

For the first time I heard that there is such a difference between the big B and the small one, but every day you learn something new (:

And there really is no other way or way to go up the speed just switch the switch

Nick2253

Wizard
The only way to speed up is to get a gigabit switch. I'm not sure what the hardware market is like in Israel, but in the US, commodity gigabit switches can be purchased very inexpensively. It looks like Amazon is looking to open up a shipping center in Israel, so you might not have to wait too long to get access to some pretty inexpensive goods.

wblock

Documentation Engineer

Itay1778

Patron
ZFS does not have RAID0. If those four disks are set up as a stripe, the data is not safe.

stripe it's actually Raid 0 and I know it's not safe but it's very temporary and I'm going to change it soon

Itay1778

Patron
The only way to speed up is to get a gigabit switch. I'm not sure what the hardware market is like in Israel, but in the US, commodity gigabit switches can be purchased very inexpensively. It looks like Amazon is looking to open up a shipping center in Israel, so you might not have to wait too long to get access to some pretty inexpensive goods.

Ok thank you very much I will buy at a local store in Israel probably next month and unfortunately Amazon takes $ 40 for shipping so it is not so worth buying from them in Israel

Itay1778

Patron

Hey just one more thing I forgot to ask that I use the NAS outside of My local network remotely so the Copy speed will be about the same( 11.4 MBytes/s ) or much slower My router supports up to 100Mb

Nick2253

Wizard
Outside of your local network, you will likely be limited by your ISP. I'm not sure what kinds of speeds you get in Israel, but I'm guessing it's less than 100Mbps. If, coincidentally, your speeds actually are higher than 100Mbps, then you will indeed be limited by your router to 100Mbps.

Also, don't forget that many ISP speeds are asymmetric: the download is typically much faster than your upload speed. If this is the case for you, remember that "download" is speeds into your network, and "upload" is speeds out from your network. Which means that if you are copying files from your network to a remote device, you will be limited by your upload speed.

In my case, I get 100Mbps download from my ISP, but only 5Mbps upload. Which is part of the reason I don't run many services directly on my local network (most of the things I access remotely come from my VPS).

Itay1778

Patron
Outside of your local network, you will likely be limited by your ISP. I'm not sure what kinds of speeds you get in Israel, but I'm guessing it's less than 100Mbps. If, coincidentally, your speeds actually are higher than 100Mbps, then you will indeed be limited by your router to 100Mbps.

Also, don't forget that many ISP speeds are asymmetric: the download is typically much faster than your upload speed. If this is the case for you, remember that "download" is speeds into your network, and "upload" is speeds out from your network. Which means that if you are copying files from your network to a remote device, you will be limited by your upload speed.

In my case, I get 100Mbps download from my ISP, but only 5Mbps upload. Which is part of the reason I don't run many services directly on my local network (most of the things I access remotely come from my VPS).

First of all thank you for all the help but the upload speed is just that I upload to NAS from a remote computer and download speed that I transfer files from a remote computer to NAS no? Because it does not sound so logical that upload speed will do everything and my upload speed is 3.14MB and downloading is 40MB

Nick2253

Wizard
but the upload speed is just that I upload to NAS from a remote computer and download speed that I transfer files from a remote computer to NAS no?
I think there is some confusion here. Both of these scenarios in your post are the same: data is passing from a remote computer to a NAS. In ISP marketing land, "Upload" speed is traffic from your network that is being "uploaded" to the internet at large. "Download" is traffic from the internet at large that is being "downloaded" to your network.

If you upload to your NAS in the sense that you are passing data from a remote network onto your local network, you are going to be limited by your ISP's "download" speed for the reason above. Just because "upload" can be accurately applied to the action, does not mean the marketed "upload" speed will apply.

Itay1778

Patron
I think there is some confusion here. Both of these scenarios in your post are the same: data is passing from a remote computer to a NAS. In ISP marketing land, "Upload" speed is traffic from your network that is being "uploaded" to the internet at large. "Download" is traffic from the internet at large that is being "downloaded" to your network.

If you upload to your NAS in the sense that you are passing data from a remote network onto your local network, you are going to be limited by your ISP's "download" speed for the reason above. Just because "upload" can be accurately applied to the action, does not mean the marketed "upload" speed will apply.

Ok now I understood everything thanks for all the help and explanation:)

Status
Not open for further replies.