Remote access to my files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itay1778

Patron
Hi I need help in set up my NAS to have access outside the home network I mean I have access to upload files and download from anywhere I went through the forum and did not actually find anything that will help me because I opened this post and saw all the concepts I know like FTP and SSH and SSL and more Some and I really need help in understanding how to access remotely, how to set up everything. I also have the NAS defined that each user will have his own folder and I really want it to be so remote that not all users will have access to all folders (dataset)

Thanks Itay
Sorry for my English I use Google Translate

joeschmuck

Old Man
You need to open up your internet firewall to access your internal network and pass through to ports you desire to FreeNAS. This is not a FreeNAS issue. I would also recommend that you read up on VPN for your firewall so that you have proper authentication protection before allowing someone from the internet into your LAN network.

So, you need to know what you want to share. If this is just data then you can use SFTP and open a port to support that. But again, VPN is somethign you need to read up on to keep hackers away from your data.

Do a Google search for "FreeNAS sftp" and you will find several guides on how to setup your FreeNAS system. Google is your friend.

Itay1778

Patron
You need to open up your internet firewall to access your internal network and pass through to ports you desire to FreeNAS. This is not a FreeNAS issue. I would also recommend that you read up on VPN for your firewall so that you have proper authentication protection before allowing someone from the internet into your LAN network.

So, you need to know what you want to share. If this is just data then you can use SFTP and open a port to support that. But again, VPN is somethign you need to read up on to keep hackers away from your data.

Do a Google search for "FreeNAS sftp" and you will find several guides on how to setup your FreeNAS system. Google is your friend.

Can i get into it through browser or windows explorer? Because basically i want to set it as a disk on my computer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Have you looked into nextcloud?

Itay1778

Patron

joeschmuck

Old Man
NextCloud would be installed on FreeNAS and it would allow access to your files. Do a Google search for "FreeNAS nextcloud" for a few guides on how to do this.

Itay1778

Patron
NextCloud would be installed on FreeNAS and it would allow access to your files. Do a Google search for "FreeNAS nextcloud" for a few guides on how to do this.

Ok I installed and realized what to do here but it is worth accessing files outside of my local network I realized I need static ip or static DNS or both not quite figured out what i need and where i put them in freenas (my ISP does not give me static ip)

tvsjr

Guru
Allow me to be blunt: No one here is going to give you step by step instructions on how to do exactly what you want... at least, not for free. There are many guides to help you, there is Google, and we are happy to answer intelligent questions that show you've put some effort in but are stuck. And, FreeNAS, while being quite user-friendly for what it is, isn't "easy". You're going to have to expend some effort learning and helping yourself.

Itay1778

Patron
Allow me to be blunt: No one here is going to give you step by step instructions on how to do exactly what you want... at least, not for free. There are many guides to help you, there is Google, and we are happy to answer intelligent questions that show you've put some effort in but are stuck. And, FreeNAS, while being quite user-friendly for what it is, isn't "easy". You're going to have to expend some effort learning and helping yourself.

I asked a question You do not want to answer So do not respond There are many more people here and I did not ask for a guide Step by step I understand a few things

joeschmuck

Old Man
Ok I installed and realized what to do here but it is worth accessing files outside of my local network I realized I need static IP or static DNS or both not quite figured out what I need and where I put them in freenas (my ISP does not give me static IP)
Your IP does not go into FreeNAS. You are not understanding me I think. You need to work on your firewall, this is how you allow access to your network. This is not a freeNAS configuration issue. i would recommend that you try to get an FTP server running and accessable from the outside world. FreeNAs has a built in FTS server, just configure it per the user guide and ensure you can access it form within your home. Next you need to do some firewall work to make it accessable from outside your home.

And as @tvsjr stated, no one here will give you step by step instruction on how to do that in this forum. I't snot becasue we are mean, it's really becasue there are other forums out there that deal with firewalls which are more suited to your issue. We are more than happy to help you with the freenas side of things but you must get the basics down on what you need to do from the firewall side of things. i feel i have given you enough assistance to point you in the right direction to make this happen. I don't think you will be able to mount the share over the internet as a mapped drive without a huge amount of work on your part. I have no idea how that can be done but I'm sure it can be done, it's just going to take you a lot of time to figure it out and test it. You might even need server grade OS to make this work.

Status
Not open for further replies.