Problem with remote access to ftp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfn

Cadet
Hello,

I have a problem with my ftp that im trying tp set up on Freenas. Its supposed to be a remotely accessible ftp for my family for some photo sharing. I have set up all the users and there home directory's. I have made a dataset under the volume. And I have set up the ftp under services. And also opened the port 21 on my router.

The thing is that I am able to connect to the ftp without a problem within my network. But as soon as a friend tries to connect to it remotely he just times out.
It feels like i have tried everything, changed to different ports and tried both "virtual servers" and "port forwarding" on my router. I also tried this software to see if the router was open and it was.
http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester
But for that test i tried it on my main computer and not the actual NAS since i cant run the software on it. But it doesn't feel like that should make any difference. If its open on my main computers ip it should be open when i direct it to the NAS ip right?

I need all the help I can get from you guys! Do you have any ideas what might be the problem?

//Erik

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Port 21 is not the only port used for FTP

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Perfn

Cadet
Ok, what other ports do i need to open? I cant find any information on any other port then the default 21.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Port 21 is used to arrange communication and ports > 1024 are used rather randomly to actually transfer the data. Read up on passive FTP

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Perfn

Cadet
Aah ok, i think its getting a bit clearer. So the FTP server in Freenas always run i Passive mode? And under Advanced Mode i found minimum and maximum port. So if i choose a range of ports, for example 50000-50100 and add those in the settings for maximum and minimum port and open them in my router with port 21. Should that be enough to establish the connection?

Perfn

Cadet
Thanks, gonna try that first thing tomorrow since its getting a bit late now. Keep you noticed if it doesn't fix it. :)

titan_rw

Guru
For a more detailed explanation of FTP, check out:

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/f...ve-directory-listing-problem.6156/#post-58785

But yes, forwarding ports on the server side is required for clients to use passive ftp to connect. Forwarding ports on the clients side is required to get active ftp to work. The latter is useful if you don't have control over the server, but still need to be able to connect to it. You can fix it on client side, and never have a problem connecting to nat'd ftp servers (from that client) again.

Status
Not open for further replies.