External FTP & SSH Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtx

Dabbler
I had this set up a couple of days ago and didn't change a thing that I can remember, and now this isn't working.

I have a user created, set a home path for him, his primary group is wheel and his auxiliary are ftp and ssh.
In control services both FTP and SSH are enabled.
FTP settings: port 21, allow anonymous login, same set path as user, allow local user and login
SSH settings: port 22, login as root with password, and allow password authentication

My modem is in bridge mode so that should not be an issue. My router is forwarding ports 20 & 21 to my freenas for FTP. It is forwarding port 22 for SSH. I know my router port forwarding works because I have successfully routed VNC to my desktop no problem.

When I try to access my ftp or ssh externally it does not work. No detailed error, it simply times out. I can do it internally no problem. I have tried both with my dyndns domain name (which I verified points to the correct public IP) and with the public IP itself.

Please tell me I'm missing something obvious and this is not a complicated issue

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Some ISPs block ports 21 and 22.. so you may not be able to ever get it working. The ISP may not even admit that they block those if you call customer service. Honestly, its a situation where you have to figure it out for yourself. It isn't easy to "verify" it should work if the ISP is block stuff.

xtx

Dabbler
I had it working like a week ago though... and besides, for ftp I changed the port to 8086 both on freenas and on my port forwarding and that does not work either. It simply times out when I try to go to it. Yet, when I go internally it still works.

ProtoSD

MVP
I hate it when stuff works and then doesn't for no apparent reason.

Give this section of the manual a try, I'm not saying its the problem, just something to try (Look at the part about the host name database):

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Global_Configuration

I agree with Cyberjock about ISPs blocking those ports, I'm surprised it worked when you first setup things. It has to be a firewall issue or some typo you've overlooked.

xtx

Dabbler
I hate it when stuff works and then doesn't for no apparent reason.

Give this section of the manual a try, I'm not saying its the problem, just something to try (Look at the part about the host name database):

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Global_Configuration

I agree with Cyberjock about ISPs blocking those ports, I'm surprised it worked when you first setup things. It has to be a firewall issue or some typo you've overlooked.

you are a lifesaver! i did change my nas box to a static ip... apparenty that cleared the default gateway and dns settings cuz i just had to put them in. i must have tested ftp and ssh prior to the change. man that's what other minds are for. i was so focused in on checking ftp port settings and my port forwarding that i completely neglected to check those global config settings. rookie mistake. thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.