Remote access to my files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

baglio

Dabbler
Hello everyone!
I'd like to know how to access my freeNAS files remotely.
My goal, is to have a personal cloud for everywhere I go, especially when I'm at school, or at my girlfriend's.

I've already tried by setting up the SSH access, than opening and forwarding the port 22 to the freeNAS LAN address.
Now, I'm using a dynamic IP, but to make some tests, I took note of the eX IP of my home. The tests are running at my girlfriend house.

The problem is that I can't access via ssh. The terminal report me that the connection is out of time.
Then, using a software for remote desktop, I've been able to see the log of my home router, and it says that the packages from another IP address (which was the external IP of my girlfriend) has been received.

So I tried to ping my home external IP, but I get no answer.

Can please somebody tell me where I'm doing wrong? : (
Is it the correct way to connect from remote, or is there an easier way?

If it can help, I'm using an OSX system. ( in case of software suggestions).

Thanks!

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Baglio,

You have the correct idea. Some routers reject pings, but still receive. You need to create an ssh "tunnel" and forward port 548 for AFP. I am working on a tutorial, but I haven't written the part for Mac yet.

@Louisk suggested this for Macs: http://codesorcery.net/meerkat

My tutorial for Windows is below. If you understand it, you can change what it tells you about ports 139 & 445 (Windows) to port 548 (Mac AFP). The same idea will work for Mac.

http://protosd.blogspot.com/2012/03/freenas-8-remote-sharing-part-1-of-8.html

baglio

Dabbler
Hi Baglio,

You have the correct idea. Some routers reject pings, but still receive. You need to create an ssh "tunnel" and forward port 548 for AFP. I am working on a tutorial, but I haven't written the part for Mac yet.

@Louisk suggested this for Macs: http://codesorcery.net/meerkat

My tutorial for Windows is below. If you understand it, you can change what it tells you about ports 139 & 445 (Windows) to port 548 (Mac AFP). The same idea will work for Mac.

http://protosd.blogspot.com/2012/03/freenas-8-remote-sharing-part-1-of-8.html

Thank you protosd! I can't wait for your guide!
Anyway, I can't understand why I can not access from SSH... it's very frustrating...
Not only through the terminal, I also tried to establish an SFTP connection to my home router but nothing... :(

Can you please explain me what do you mean with "tunnel"?

Thanks! :)

baglio

Dabbler
Guys; anyone can help to figure out how I can't connect to my home server via ssh?
If could help you, I' have a netgear DGN2200 router.

I can only access in LAN but not from an external IP though the port 22 is forwarded to my freeNAS LAN IP.
Thanks.

ProtoSD

MVP
Baglio,

Sorry I didn't see your reply until now, I have many posts and it's difficult to visit them all.

It is possible your ISP is blocking port 22 from outside your home. You can make ssh use a different port (like 22022) and then tell your router to allow that port and convert it to port 22 after it receives the connection (it's called "port forwarding").

A tunnel is when you make a connection using ssh, and then tell ssh to send an "other" protocol (AFP) through the same connection. Then ssh on the other side (your home) takes the other protocol and repeats it to your home network.

It is much easier to do with a Mac than it is from Windows, but I am not so familiar with Macs to explain it to you easily.

calgarychris

Contributor
Protosd,

I would like to do something similar (i.e. get access to my files remotely / set up a personal cloud) but my router has settings to create my own VPN - is this better/more secure than ssh'ing into my FreeNAS box?

Thanks
Chris

ProtoSD

MVP
Protosd,

I would like to do something similar (i.e. get access to my files remotely / set up a personal cloud) but my router has settings to create my own VPN - is this better/more secure than ssh'ing into my FreeNAS box?

Thanks
Chris
Chris

Its going to be about the same security wise, it depends on which is easier for you to setup and what software you need on your remote computer to use the VPN on your router.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Maybe your NAT isn't setup properly. you could also try a different port incase your isp is blocking 22 (though I doubt it). What kind of router do you have, I know there's a site that goes shows how to forward ports on different routers.

You can also try nmap from in the network, to the external ip, to see if that port is open. Also try that outside the network.

EDIT
Also, I really recommend setting up a freebsd jail on FreeNAS 8.2 branch and rolling a 'owncloud' or 'ajaxplorer' setup. Both are great little php applications that work as web based file viewers. In my opinion ajaxplorer is a little better at handling files, while owncloud is branching out to do music / other stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.