Wired Router Causing Issues with Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea

Explorer
I recently moved into a new house that was fully wired for Cat6. In the central hub, there was about 16 ethernet cables, which was way too much for my WiFi router (NETGEAR Orbi). So I purchased a CISCO RV345 wired router for the central hub. I turned the Orbi to an access point for WiFi only and plugged in the cables to the router. Everything seems to be working fine, as I can get online with most of my components. I have my FreeNAS build sitting in a server rack, that is connected to a TPLink switch. My computer and some gaming consoles are also connected to the switch and they are working fine as well. The issue I am having is that Plex, which is running in a Jail on my media server, can't seem to access the outside network. I can't run PMS_Updater.sh to update Plex. And any attempt to update metadata for any movies is failing. I also show that my remote access is not working. Is there a setting somewhere on my router or FreeNAS that is blocking that traffic?

Again, my configuration is "Outside Internet" > Cisco RV345 > TPLink Switch > FreeNAS machine.

garm

Wizard
Can’t really help without guessing, what is the address space for your jails, FreeNAS and other layouts? Why is the router a limiting factor in your patch panel? Can FreeNAS access internet? What jails are you using? What is the configuration for them? How did you install Plex if you have no internet access?

With these kinds of questions, if you start walking through it thoroughly you most probably will find the solution yourself.

Last edited:

Guinea

Explorer
I am not sure what the first question means. The PMS and FreeNAS altogether had access to the internet prior to installing the Cisco router. When I was only using the Orbi as my router, I was able to plug the TPLink switch into the Orbi ethernet port and everything was working fine. This is when I was able to do the install and configuration. Once I moved the Orbi to an Access Point and replaced it with the Cisco router, that is when I started seeing the issues. I am using the standard configuration for Plex in a jail. It is currently pointed at a static IP over DHCP. FreeNAS itself seems to be able to access the internet, because I can check for updates and a new update is available. So possibly it is something with the jail itself or something in the Cisco router that is defaulted to block that kind of traffic?

Guinea

Explorer
Thanks for the tips. You were absolutely right. Once I started thinking about those questions, they forced me to start looking at my configuration for Plex. It turns out the issue was because my Cisco router was holding the IP range of 100-149 for IPv4 DHCP. My Plex server jail was static to .100, so it was conflicting with the router. Once I moved my global jail configurations to the 150-200 range and forced the plex jail to .150, I restarted the jail and everything worked perfectly. Thanks for the help!

pschatz100

Guru
Glad you got it working. Sometimes people overthink a problem when a review of the basics can point to an answer. Please mark the thread "solved."

Guinea

Explorer
Glad you got it working. Sometimes people overthink a problem when a review of the basics can point to an answer. Please mark the thread "solved."
Is there an obvious way to do that? I do not see any options in the thread or forums to mark something as solved or answered.

Status
Not open for further replies.