Cannot connect to server via Powerline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makaveli6103

Contributor
I recently got some powerline adapters to connect my iMac to a wired network in the next room. But now I am not able to connect to my freenas that is connected directly to the router. It works over wifi but not through the powerline adapter. My setup is below

Freenas -> Netgear WNDR3700v1

iMac -> Zyxel PLA4205 -> Zyxel PLA4205 -> WNDR3700

RvdKraats

Dabbler
I don't have that much knowledge of these adapters, but i remember someone saying somewhere that you wouldn't need to worry about your Powerline 'signal' running through your whole neighbourhood because it would be filtered/stopped at the box where the electric cables would enter your house. Maybe your signal is also filtered out in some way? Have you tried (just for test) to put the Powerline adapters in other sockets?

leenux_tux

Patron
Makaveli6103,

I am using powerline adapters (Devolo) around my house and am not having any issues....now......

I don't know anything about your specific pieces of kit, however, when I first started using them I purchased a pack of 2 and did not have any issues. Then I purchased another pack of two around 6 months later and started to have all sorts of funny things going on. Even though the two purchases were of the same model number, they were a slightly different firmware revision, yes, these little gems are programmable. I had to download new firmware and use a special program (supplied by Devolo) to load the new firmware on to all of the adapters so they were all the same level. You also need to sync them so that they all know they are on the same network (I think that's what it does anyway)

Also, these units are VERY tetchy about being used in an extension lead, i.e. a 4 or 6 gang. The documentation I have read states that it does not work. I know it does, but the throughput is not a good as a direct connection to the wall socket. It works for what I want though and that's enough for me.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.