Transfer data from ReadyNas duo v1 hdds

tcdk

Cadet
Hi

I am setting up an Truenas system with 4x3TB SAS drives on an M5015 raid controller.

I have data on my old ReadyNas duo v1(2x2TB XRAID) with around 1.5TB data total. The network controller in the ReadyNas are buggy, and will max transfer with UP to 1-2mb/s which will result in around 3 months transfer time.. And most times I start to transfer data, the ReadyNas lock up and I can't access the admin panel.
Since it's XRAID, I can remove 1 hdd from the ReadyNas without data loss.

How can I transfer my data to the Truenas system, without Truenas nukes the drive? Would it be possible via the motherboards SATA and if the filesystem can not be read, eg. via an VM on the Truenas?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
I am setting up an Truenas system with 4x3TB SAS drives on an M5015 raid controller.

Stop right there, and start over.

How can I transfer my data to the Truenas system, without Truenas nukes the drive? Would it be possible via the motherboards SATA and if the filesystem can not be read, eg. via an VM on the Truenas?

It sounds from a brief Googling that XRAID is just some variant on mdadm, so you can quite possibly just hook the drives up to a PC and then transfer it to TrueNAS, either over the network or directly.

tcdk

Cadet
Thanks.

I will see if I can find a M1015 instead of the M5015 to run IT mode.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
That'll work. It may also give you enough ports on the mainboard to hook up your ReadyNAS drives to see if they can be mounted.

tcdk

Cadet
Yes. The M1015 supports up to 16 drives, so it's more than enough. I just got the M5015 thrown at me, that's why I wanted to use it.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yes. The M1015 supports up to 16 drives, so it's more than enough. I just got the M5015 thrown at me, that's why I wanted to use it.

The M1015 only has eight lanes by default. You need an SAS expander to get beyond 8 drives.

tcdk

Cadet
8 is still plenty. I have cables for 8 drives (4 sas and 4 sata) andare not planinng on using more than 4-6 drives atm anyway.