Swapping Haswell CPUs and adding Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

nofferman

Cadet
I'm currently running an i3-4360 CPU in a SuperMicro X10SLM+-F-O motherboard for my FreeNAS system. I've got a Xeon E3-1231 v3 on hand that I want to swap in, along with a GeForce 210 graphics card (as the Xeon CPU doesn't have integrated graphics).

Will FreeNAS likely start OK after the swap, or should I plan enough time to do a reinstall and restore of the configuration file? Any other gotchas I might want to know about beforehand?

Thanks for your help!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Will FreeNAS likely start OK after the swap, or should I plan enough time to do a reinstall and restore of the configuration file?
FreeNAS detects hardware on boot. You should not need the graphics card and you should not have any trouble booting back into the system as it was before the CPU swap.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

nofferman

Cadet
I missed that the board's BMC already has a graphics controller onboard; I thought my i3 was handling this. I'll do the swap today. Thanks for the quick reply!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I missed that the board's BMC already has a graphics controller onboard; I thought my i3 was handling this. I'll do the swap today. Thanks for the quick reply!
No problem. Sometimes the chips with integrated graphics are less expensive than the ones without. Either will work, just the graphics capability of the CPU is not used.

Status
Not open for further replies.