Supermicro X9SCL not booting with E3-1220L v2

fivenines

Cadet
I have a system that I am putting together to run FreeNAS and I am a bit stumped. Perhaps someone has built the same system and can tell me what I am missing.

I have a Supermicro X9SCL (non -F) motherboard that I bought locally which came with Core i3-2120 installed along with one 8GB stick of Crucial memory (MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6P1ZE). The board boots fine with this configuration.

My goal was to run an E3-1220L v2 and four 8GB sticks of Hynix HMT41GU7BFR8A-PB. This would give me a nice low-power CPU and 32GB of system memory. However, it seems that the motherboard wont boot with a CPU that doesn't have onboard graphics.

When I swap the i3 for the E3, I get 5 beeps, indicating that the installed CPU does not have integrated graphics. The i3 does have onboard graphics, which is why I believe it boots successfully. The odd part is that as far as the product page goes, I don't see any mention that this is necessary. In fact, the page states that the motherboard does have onboard Matrox G200.

If I throw in a PCIe graphics card, the system boots just fine. So I am reasonably certain that the motherboard does need additional graphics support.

Looking at the E3 v2 product line, the only CPU with onboard video is E3-1256L v2. I ordered one of those, hoping it will solve the problem. However, looking into the C202/C204/C206 product line, I am reading that these chipsets don't support onboard video. But how can that be, since the i3 has onboard video, which it is using?

If the 1256L still wont boot, what are other CPUs folks using with this motherboard that they can confirm work? ECC support is a must, and a TDP < 50 would be best. Perhaps a Pentium G2020T?

Redcoat

MVP
Is the onboard graphics jumper enabled - JPG1?