Supermicro X11SSM-F, 32GB ECC RAM, 6x 2TB WD Red, Intel Core i3-7300 4.0 GHz

q/pa

Explorer

q/pa

Explorer
With regard to my question about memory.net, today they answered my email ("Hi, is this new hardware or used and refurbished? Kind regards"):
"We sell both new factory sealed and excess memory. We do not refurbish memory here."

Can anyone here explain to me what they mean by "excess memory"?

Hmmm... Never heard that term before. It could be that they have memory that was purchased but never used. Something like "new old stock" (NOS).

I'd just ask what they mean by that term.

emk2203

Guru
I am confident with my planned setup but it seems to be a bit of a problem to get the exact same RAM in Germany that is specified by Supermicro.

I have seen interesting offers on memory.net but I am not sure if this is new hardware or used/refurbished.

This was offered by a German shop: https://www.compuram.biz/memory/sup...1sce-f/32gb-dual-channel-memory-kit-x99e3.htm

They say it is 100% compatible with the X11SCH-F motherboard but I cannot verify this by consulting the Supermicro web page.

And: Will it autimatically work with FreeNAS when it works with the motherboard?
If it works with the MB, it works with FreeNAS. I just got for my X11 mainboard 64 GB from Mindfactory for 253€. Prices were via gh.de and link to Mindfactory, Memory Type: 32GB Samsung M378A4G43MB1-CTD DDR4-2666 DIMM CL19 Single.

q/pa

Explorer
Hmmm... Never heard that term before. It could be that they have memory that was purchased but never used. Something like "new old stock" (NOS).

I'd just ask what they mean by that term.
I asked them about the term "excess memory". This is what came back: "We purchase memory from places like data centers that buy servers and upgrade them, we buy the memory they removed. That's an example."