Please assess this build (SuperMicro X11SSM-F + Intel Pentium G4560)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glauco

Guru
This looks like a great build and an excellent selection of components. Even if you choose to run Plex in the future if you set it up with your local clients so that they all are direct play CPU horsepower doesn't come into play.

This build should be a blueprint for a solid DIY home NAS. Good on you @glauco for doing your homework in component selection.
Thank you!
I did my homework because I want this NAS to run reliably for at least 5 years from now without having to worry about the integrity of my data. A 6-HDD RaidZ2 pool and an offsite backup to my ancient Synology DS211j will serve this purpose.
Soon I'm going to add prices to the parts in my first post so that readers can rule in or out specific parts based on their price.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hard drive encryption... that I like! I'm going to read more about it. The CPU I've chosen (Intel Pentium G4560) has AES-NI, so if it's perfectly safe I'm going to encrypt the whole disk/volume/pool/whatever. If I realize that, as you say, it's a bad idea, a TrueCrypt file/partition will do just fine.
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. Stay away from encryption unless you really do need it. Encryption problems can give you the opportunity to lose all your data. Many folks have as well. If you really need to encrypt files, use something like TrueCrypt.

As for sharing media content, sounds like you are good to use a DLNA server then. While FreeNAS does not come standard with a DLNA server anymore (it's a shame really), Plex does have one built in and you can use it. You can also manually install MiniDLNA if you like, I have a thread dedicated to how to perfomr the installation. I need to update it for FreeNAS 11 and might do that this weekend now that FreeNAS 11 is virtually ready for it's final release.

It sounds like you have this basically under control but my advice is:
1) Buy your parts.
2) Run the burn-in tests MemTest86 and whatever CPU stress test you like, make sure your hardware is sound.
3) Some people like to burn-in the hard drives, I don't but I do run the SMART Long Test. This is up to you.
4) Install and play with FreeNAS. Do not commit data to your system. You want to create pools, datasets, simulate a drive failure, repalce a drive, etc... Get very familiar with FreeNAS. Take notes on how to replace a failing hard drive, this is key. Tkae notes on how to replace/rebuild FreeNAS and restore the config file. After about 2 weeks then rebuild your setup and start committing your data. Always backup your config file!

Stux

MVP
And remember to setup scrubs+smart tests.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
I use encryption on mine and if you do not have the passphrase and the encryption key, you are SOL.

glauco

Guru
Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it. Stay away from encryption unless you really do need it. Encryption problems can give you the opportunity to lose all your data. Many folks have as well. If you really need to encrypt files, use something like TrueCrypt.
I'm going to take your advice and use TrueCrypt. I have used it in the past and it proved rock solid. I don't have much time to experiment so I'd rather stay on the beaten path.

As for sharing media content, sounds like you are good to use a DLNA server then. While FreeNAS does not come standard with a DLNA server anymore (it's a shame really), Plex does have one built in and you can use it. You can also manually install MiniDLNA if you like, I have a thread dedicated to how to perfomr the installation. I need to update it for FreeNAS 11 and might do that this weekend now that FreeNAS 11 is virtually ready for it's final release.
As soon as I have time, I'm going to give those two a try!

It sounds like you have this basically under control but my advice is:
1) Buy your parts.
2) Run the burn-in tests MemTest86 and whatever CPU stress test you like, make sure your hardware is sound.
3) Some people like to burn-in the hard drives, I don't but I do run the SMART Long Test. This is up to you.
4) Install and play with FreeNAS. Do not commit data to your system. You want to create pools, datasets, simulate a drive failure, repalce a drive, etc... Get very familiar with FreeNAS. Take notes on how to replace a failing hard drive, this is key. Tkae notes on how to replace/rebuild FreeNAS and restore the config file. After about 2 weeks then rebuild your setup and start committing your data. Always backup your config file!
That's what I was hoping to get! I can't wait to get the parts I've ordered!
I'm out of practice as far as hardware testing is concerned. I've used MemTest86 in the past, but I wouldn't know how to stress-test the CPU and run the SMART Long Test, could you kindly give me a heads up?
Do I run the SMART Long Test from within FreeNAS or do I have to boot off a USB drive and launch some utility?
I totally agree with getting very familiar with FreeNAS before deleting my data from my current small-time Synology NAS. Knowing that a copy of my data is safe and sound somewhere else will give me courage to experiment "dangerous" stuff like simulating a drive failure and whatnot.

Thank you and everybody else for being so supportive. This forum has been a very nice place so far!

CraigD

Patron
Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
but I wouldn't know how to stress-test the CPU
Prime95 is a good test. I believe runing it for about 2 hours is enough, others feel that they need to run it much longer. It's your call on what you desire to do.

Archaniel

Explorer
I run Plex with G4400. Though the buffering takes a bit while transcoding. And I use stock Intel fan, it just works. But nice build nevertheless

glauco

Guru
Thank you guys.
@joeschmuck I'm going to run Prime95 for two hours then.
@Archaniel Thanks for reporting your experience with your Intel Pentium G4400. That tells me my Intel Pentium G4560 should be able to stream to one device at a time just fine.
Unfortunately, shipping is taking longer than I expected. I'm guessing small vendors that are not Amazon sell you stuff they don't even have... now is a sad time for small businesses...

BobCochran

Contributor

Yeah -- don't use encryption unless the need is really there.

Stux

MVP
Encryption and preserving data are at odds.

Status
Not open for further replies.